“Good Hotel but with some issues”

County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on AUGUST Bank Holiday weekend with group of fellow motorcyclists. It was a very wet evening when we arrived and rained all night through to next day. The hotel was very accomodating with all our wet equipment and set an area aside for us. Have stayed here before and it is a solid hotel good for functions and a base for travelling in the area.
All usual services and food was of a standard for the type of hotel but nothing out of the ordinary. One issue I would have is with the lack of lighting and sockets in bedroom. Room was a bit small and the only lights were 2 bedside lights and one standard light. In entrance area and around wardrobes there was no lighting at all. It was not possible to fully illuminate the room which is helpful when dressing and getting ready to go out. Room was dark even with side lights on. Other than that its good for a break

Room Tip: Just make sure you get a good sized room with plenty of light!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed in this hotel with my husband and two Grandchildren for a wedding. Room was amazing, huge and the girls loved the bunk beds. Staff were friendly and brilliant with the children. The swimming pool and leisure facilities were great. Food was amazing. the hotel was modern and clean and price was reasonable. Brilliant location, very quiet......would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Family room was spacious and gave adults and the kids ample privacy.
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed for a family break in a family room with bunk beds,which were very comfortable.I had probably the best sleep I have had in years.The quantity of food we got for dinner was enormous,despite being late.The staff could have not been friendlier or nicer to my children.Nothing was to much trouble.The kids spent most of their time in the pool and have asked to come back next time for longer.One of my kids had an asthma attack and there was an MDOC nearby that could not have been more helpful.The girls went horse riding through the mountains and had a magical time.There is also Kinnity Castle nearby complete with knights in shining armour and celtic crosses.Next time we would like to go to lough boora parklands and trek or cycle the Wild Offaly Way.

Room Tip: The family room with bunk beds is ideal.
1  Thank tom h
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed in a family room and we and our 3 children had ample space. The extra bed was very comfortable for our 10 year old, not a cramped fold up cot as we often get. Wifi was available in the common areas but not the rooms. We enjoyed the breakfast. A great buffet and you could order hot food (included) as well. I enjoyed the hot tub and my husband enjoyed the steam room and sauna. We all had a great time in the pool. The only negative was some of the chairs and sofas are getting a bit tired. My husband didn't find our bed very comfortable but I was OK with it. We ate at the restaurant 2 nights and the bar one night. The bar prices are somewhat cheaper at the bar for the same food cooked in the same kitchen. The restaurant is not overpriced, however, and the kids menus (available in both restaurant and bar) are excellent value. I usually don't like eating out because I feel I often overpay for food which is prepared no better than I do it myself. I did not feel that way here. The food is well prepared and elegantly presented. The service in the restaurant was very efficient. At supper there is a bit of a wait as the food is all freshly prepared and tastes like it. I have often had longer waits in restaurants so I was never displeased here. Breakfast was very speedily served every morning (we were there for 4 mornings). I usually had only half my bowl of fruit and yoghurt from the buffet gone when my hot order arrived. All the staff in the restaurants and throughout the hotel were so friendly and really could not do enough for you. All very polite and professional, even the very younger members. Birr is a lovely town. It was during Vintage week and we extended our stay for a day as there was so much to do. The staff, and the restaurant manager in particular, went out of their way to make sure we knew of the Vintage Week activities for children and could be involved in them. Our children even got to march in the parade with other local children. They loved that. Local attractions such as Birr Castle which has a lovely grounds to walk in and an excellent children's playground were a day's outing in themselves. We also really enjoyed a hack in the foothills of the Sleeve Bloom Mountains. We would have loved to stay longer as there were so many things still to see. This is our second trip to Birr and this hotel and we will likely return again.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights recently and enjoyed our stay immensely. The room was very large, the beds comfortable and service excellent. The food was very enjoyable and quite reasonable. The bar was very busy as there were 2 weddings, but it created a good atmosphere around the place. The garden is very well looked after and the place looks well, and the pool was a nice size, perfect for kids. I would recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2014

A very modern and clean hotel, spacious bedrooms, i would recommend this hotel has a central location for exploring the heart of Ireland, the food was excellent, the Staff are very friendly and go out of their way to help, the hotel is on the edge of town with easy access to the countryside, well worth its 4 star rating cant wait to go back they.we strongly recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: you will enjoy your stay in any room their all quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We really enjoyed out stay here. The hotel was well maintained with nice lobby areas, a fantastic garden and a decent bar and restaurant. The food was very tasty and the leisure centre was wonderful.

We were especially bowled away by the staff, every staff member we encountered was exceptionally warm and friendly and they went out of their way to help and make us feel well looked after. We will be back again!

Just two little things stopped me giving it full marks - the beds were not the most comfortable although it is worth mentioning that our room was also not horribly stuffy like most hotel rooms. If you like to watch tv, ours was small and stations were all over the place, we thought we only had 3 stations until the last night.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
The Maltings
Tullamore Court Hotel
Tullamore Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club

Been to County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!