“Very Good Hotel”

County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights.
A very nice hotel. The staff are friendly and attentive.
This is a big hotel but being family run it feels smaller and more personal.
The pool and spa facilities are a real plus.
We ate dinner one evening and the food was very very good.
The deserts are exceptional.
The breakfast is top notch and plentiful (except for the pancakes which are ok but not as good as everything else.).
We also ate lunch in the bar and that was bang on too.
On arrival our room was spotless.
A visit to the ladies public toilets is a must (The interior designer went to town here.)
Very happy to recommend this hotel.
I must warn you about the Guinness - It was so good I drank too much of it - Best avoided.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dardun

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had read reveiws about this hotel before we went, and the people that wrote them must have been somewhere else, and picked the wrong hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff and hotel were great, the staff in the bar were pleasant and helpful and the food was perfect. Even with a wedding on the Saturday night we were made to feel welcome in the bar and our orders taken with no problem. The room was large and warm, and on finding that the remote for the TV was missing, this was replaced within 10 min's. A nice relaxing weekend break, all thishotel needs is a town with a bit more in the way of shops and things to do around it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank noddy1971
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here with my partner in August. We only stayed the one night as we were passing through on a bit of a roadtrip. Upon check-in there was a Wedding party in the lobby but the reception quickly checked us in. Our room was very spacious and the bathroom was lovely and clean with great little toiletries. Upon realising that we had no remote control for the tv we called reception and they sent someone straight up with one. Later that night I could not get the shower to work so I called reception again and they sent someone up to turn it on. I think it was just very stiff or stuck! We ate in the bar and the food was delicious and very reasonably priced. The bar staff were friendly and the service was excellent. Breakfast the following morning was brilliant. There was a vast selection to choose from in the buffet and the cooked full Irish fry up was delicious! Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lill-miss-sunshine
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have now stayed here twice. The staff are very very friendly and professional. The rooms are large and clean and the hotel is spacious with wide corridors and open spaces. The pool is large by hotel standards and is a good place to relax. We ate in the restaurant and our evening dinner and breakfast was most enjoyable. I shall always be pleased to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Philip1516
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Nothing is to much trouble for the staff to make your stay very memorable and want your stay never to end. This is created by the management and the natural charm of all the staff, who make you feel you are the most important guest in this hotel. The food and drinks in the bar is plentiful and well priced. The restaurant is also first class.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stuart170649
Reviewed October 29, 2012

was here for a family wedding... staff were very helpful and did everything they could to make the day enjoyable. staff were very pleasant even in the early hours. there was no pressure to check out before 12, overall a very nice hotel and food was divine :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kaybay778
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Myself and my sister recently stayed at the county arms hotel. I was impressed with the georgian house theme and the foyer. The staff were very nice and friendly.

We both had a room each and it soon turned into a game of spot the difference.

The first issue was how dark my room was. There were no ceiling lights but instead floor lamps. My sister's room had one but mine hadn't. This was my first complaint.

The views of both rooms were poor - overlooking the swimming pool roof full with cigarette ends.

There were many other differences - her room had no remote, no footrester etc this was disappointing for a 4* hotel.

Another problem was the door handles - almost every door handle was loose! I was awakened one morning by another guest who could not get his door opened and had to change rooms!

Another morning I was awakened by the toilet which did not stop grumbling. This was really annoying. Also, I could not get the shower to work - it was a really difficult system to operate.

The carpets were very dirty with brown patches of dirt sticking to them.

The leisure centre was very nice and quiet with a small pool but very quiet. The sauna and steam room were very nice aswell.The lady running the pool/beauty salon was very nice and helpful.

The food was very nice but the menus were quite "different". There was a lot of sea bass which was quite unusual. The breakfast selection was good one morning but bad the next.

I would give this hotel and average rating. Not a 4 star rating in my view.

Room Tip: Front Green - only views that are attractive