“Two great courses, the old is world class”

Ballybunion Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Ballybunion
More attraction details
Owner description: Breathtaking views and natural design make this one of the few "timeless" courses found throughout the world.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Excellent user friendly resort, service is very welcoming and you don't feel as though you are treading on eggshells as you do at certain other "tier 1" courses

The Cashen Is very tough, and in driving rain and high winds, it almost became unplayable for the standard we play at

The old course is a bit more generous and in my opinion better, certain,y more enjoyable. Some of the views are classic links postcard shots, the greens are exceptional and the many run off areas make it "interesting". Overall I would place the old up there with royal st George's in terms of quality and true links challenge

Reviewed May 9, 2013

World class golf course with superb views and very friendly and helpful staff.The pro shop had a great range of stock and had a super head professional Brian O'Callaghan.The golf course was in super condition and was everything I thought it would be.

1  Thank 613PAUL
Reviewed May 7, 2013

course was awesome as usual. we played April 22 & 23, 2013, the sun was shining and the wind was down. what a great experience.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We played the two courses on back to back days, starting with The Cashen. The first impression was driving towards the course - you can see the dunes from 3 kilometers away they are so tall. I'd never seen anything like the Cashen, and we lucked out with a nice sunny day with very little wind. Not many people were out despite the conditions, and we asked the caddies about that. They told us the locals don't like to play the course because of too many carries into greens. Fair enough. The course is visually stunning, with dramatic elevation changes; the fairways are generally more genrous than the pictures I'd seen had led me to expect. The greens complexes were demanding though, and balls that didn't quite hit the greens would take the contours around the green and go rolling off someplace, sometimes 15 yards or more away. You definitely want to be in good shape to play the Cashen, as it can be a demanding walk, even if you manage to hit the fairways. As for the rough, you will probably find your ball, it is the hitting it out of there part that is a trick! All in all, the Cashen is definitely worth playing.

The next day we played the Old Course. Standing on the first tee, the cemetary on the right that people talk about won't come into play unless you shank one. But you don't see a fairway in front of you - the starter told us to hit it on the line of the people playing in front of us. I'd read all about how Tom Watson loves this course, but I have to say, I don't get it. Hitting tee shots over the green you just finished is quirky but slows down play if nothing else. The first few holes run along a road and are pretty plain. The back nine is definitely more dramatic, but the course isn't "uniform" like Lahinch or Cashen, and that for me detracts a little from the overall experience. History aside, it is a bit quirky, and not nearly so visually stunning as the other links courses we played. This was the one course we played that was busy (it was a Saturday), with the course full. Everybody moved right along though, which was nice.

The Old Course is definitely worth playing insofar as it is a history lesson, but don't expect to be overwhelmed by the spectacle like some of the other links courses can do to you. In reviewing the week, I would definitely play Lahinch, Old Head and Doonbeg again if I make another trip to Ireland. Ballybunion would be a definite maybe.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Second visit to this wonderful establishment. Played both the Old Course and the Cashen course. Both are amazing but the Old Course is one of the world's best. Number 11 is supposedly Tom Watson's favorite. Bring your A game. Lots of trouble and carry especially if its windy. Also take the time to enjoy the setting....it's fantastic.