“Excellent sea food”

Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in Ballybunion
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We ate here twice over the weekend - once for Sunday lunch and once for an evening meal. I found the service on Sunday a lot quicker, but then we weren't as hungry on Monday so it wasn't an issue. The staff were polite and attentive - a bad glass of wine was changed immediately with no problems - and they weren't trying to push things at all, but were prepared to talk about the food.

The food was gorgeous. Decent sized portions - we couldn't manage dessert at all, but starters and main were lovely. We had fish - on Sunday, my partner had mussels and I had turbot; on Monday he had crab and I had scallops. Tasted amazing, lovely cooking, nothing too fancy, but the flavours - we could taste the sea in the meals and it was great.

The drinks selection was pretty decent - there were 4 or 5 red wines on offer anyway, and aside from one glass that had gone off, they were lovely. Price wise - it was a tad on the expensive side, with a 2 course meal for two with drinks and coffee coming to €90, but it was a special occasion so we were happy to pay it.

The views from the restaurant were out over the sea which was great. We'd go back again, in short.

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

I went to McMunn's recently with a friend. The food was wonderful, really fantastic and the only reason I would go back. The staff were less than impressive. Waited 20 mins for a drink order to be taken, nobody came so ended up going to the bar to order for ourselves. When we got our food order nobody came to ask if we needed anything or if our meal was ok. Nobody came to offer dessert and we had to go to the bar to request the bill. Considering the fact that there were only six other diners I would have expected better service. Our waitress just mumbled everything under her breath and didn't engage us at all. And three staff members were more interested in chatting to each other and being on their phones. The food is the only reason I would return. If it hadn't been for amazing salmon I would never go back. Bringing a friend to my hometown and seeing this kind of service was an embarrassment.

5  Thank Catherine G
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Fresh lobster! Sunset over the cliffs--choose a seat in the front--the best in the house. Chicken wings were a wonderful starter.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

4 of us had dinner and each course was superb. Huge portions and reasonable cost. Nice bar and good service

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had lunch at McMunns sitting outside and looking over the water. The food was good and the staff friendly. Slightly overpriced but expectedly so in a holiday town.

1  Thank itsjanko