“Elegant B & B”

and 1 more site!
Headley Court B&B
Ranked #7 of 23 Bunratty B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Kathleen, our hostess, had made this into the most delightful B & B that we stayed in. It is beautiful and welcoming and has everything that one can ask for. Even the en suite was huge and elegant! I really enjoyed the French Toast which was my choice for breakfast, and made an interesting variation on the breakfast theme. The coffee with which Kathleen filled our flask the next morning was piping hot even hours later, thanks to her taking the trouble to heat the milk. Lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank HelenZA
There are newer reviews for Headley Court B&B

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had been staying for several years with Kathleen's mother-in-law Mary, who ran a wonderful B&B in Bunratty. When Mary stopped doing B&B last year, she put us with her daughter-in-law Kathleen, and we stayed with Kathleen again this past June. Kathleen's B&B is every bit as elegant as Mary's was, and Kathleen is a wonderful hostess. She is friendly, helpful, cheerful and energetic. The rooms are large, well decorated, clean and comfortable. Her rates are quite reasonable. Although we miss Mary, we are very happy to have found Kathleen.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank deedeetee
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband & I travelled arounf Ireland with my 87 year old mother and a couple of our close friends. We've visited Bunratty before and loved the place but this was our first stay at Headley Court and we were not disappointed. Kathleen was the perfect hostess, nothing was too much trouble for her, she did her best to meet all our needs -even went out to buy brown sauce specially for my husband and found us a Scrabble board game to use. The house was gorgeous with a lovely lounge just for the use of guests. My mother was thrilled with her room as often single rooms are small but this room was large, beautifully decorated with a lovely. ensuite. Breakfast was lovely and well presented.Special mention must go to Lauren(?) daughter of the house. She was charming and very talented, entertained us by singing and playing 2 songs in the evening -what a lovely touch that made our stay there evn more memoarble. Very reasonable charges. One of Ireland's hidden gems.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank jojoel
Reviewed August 14, 2013

What can I say - staying at Headley Court is becoming a habit we really enjoy! Standards are consistently high. Once again, we had the most comfortable beds in very spacious and immaculately clean rooms. Breakfast made to order was fantastic and as we stayed two nights we were able to sample different dishes each morning. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Make a booking
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank bags55
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This summer my family, consisting of my husband, two teenage sons and myself decided to holiday in Ireland staying in a variety of accommodation. We had pre-booked Headley Court for one night. On arrival we were greeted by Kathleen who was so friendly and yet professional. Being so impressed with the whole place, within minutes of being checked in, we asked if it was possible to stay for the remainder of the week and to our delight Kathleen was able to accommodate us. We occupied two rooms which were more spacious and inviting than the 4 star hotel we had booked the previous two nights. Bathrooms were huge with great shower pressure. After a wonderful sleep and a fantastic breakfast (the best ever) my husband and sons left to play golf nearby while I decided to relax and catch up on my reading in such relaxing surroundings. The following days were spent touring the Bunratty Castle, Quinn,Craggaurowen, Loop Head and the Burren returning each evening to a wonderful atmosphere where Kathleen was always on hand to offer help without being intrusive. At one B&B we returned after a day at the shops to be greeted by the landlady with 'show and tell'. For us that was 'too friendly' and we like our space. Headley Court is a 4 star B&B which has the space of a 4 star hotel and we were very impressed. Next time we are in the South we will definitely stay with the Brownes.

Room Tip: My guess is that all rooms are perfect
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank Marie O
Reviewed July 7, 2013

As part of an excursion across Ireland, my wife and I had a night booked at Headley Court in Bunratty. This was one of the final nights of our very active vacation and we were pretty tired when we got there. When you've been actively traveling for a while and the exhaustion has caught up, there are some things that differentiate a good stay from an adequate one. For me, the differentiators for Headley Court are:

1) Signs all over town. Navigating in Ireland, even with a GPS, is a crapshoot. The roads have the merest planning, the towns are almost impossible to drive in and street addresses seem never to have caught on in Ireland. We had spent days struggling to find one place after another when we got into the center of Bunratty and immediately saw signs for Headley Court. We kept right on seeing them as we drove down the Low Road and every time I started to feel a little discouraged that I might have gone a turn too far, there was another sign. After days of difficult navigation, I cannot overstate how much of a boon this was.

2) The understanding and use of modern technology, including Web and social media. This is important to me, because it is how I communicate with others about my experiences, and it's how I stay informed.

3) Some kind of sweet bread in the hallway, next to the guest book. After lots of driving, fighting with traffic and just the exhaustion of weeks of being on the road, there's something to be said for having a little nibble at the next stop.

4) Kathleen is very efficient. She runs a tight ship. For instance, she has breakfast cards that allow her to queue up breakfast for her guests, which I thought was pretty novel. In general, the whole experience was one of efficiency and clear communication.

5) The house is downright beautiful. I've seen hotels in the English countryside that were designed by be beautiful, sprawling pastoral edifices, but B&Bs are usually pretty compact, cozy environments that are too spartan for any of that. But even the grounds at Headley Court were nice, with a little square garden and some picnic tables. The inside is wood flooring and a stair with a nice banister, and so forth. There are even some interesting decorations in the dining room, including a wood carving made in South Africa that caught my eye (I had originally thought it to be Gabonese).

I only have two negatives, and they aren't really a huge deal:

1) The location is a bit far afield from town. Headley Court is probably two miles down a long road (Low Road) from the castle. This is actually not a bad thing per se, and certainly isn't something that can be helped, but it is something of which to be aware. If you're itching to check into your room, leave your bags, run out and get a drink as quickly as possible, there aren't really any options within reasonable walking distance. There is a corner store across the street for essentials, but certainly no restaurants or any of that.

For what it's worth, our stay was late enough in our vacation that we didn't care about any of that and just wanted a place to read, write and sleep. Also, if you're driving, the drive back to the Castle is a straight shot and there should be plenty of parking in the Castle parking lot.

2) This is more of a personal idiosyncrasy of mine, but the all wood stairs and ground floor are very creaky. The reason that this is a negative for me is that I'm a smoker, and I often have restless nights where I'm up pretty late in the evening. I try to be quiet as a mouse, but every time I stepped out for a smoke (I never smoke indoors, even at home), I felt like I was waking up the entire neighborhood every time my foot landed on a floorboard.

I understand that this doesn't apply to everybody, and it may also be true that not everybody is as concerned about not being an unruly guest as I am, but while it's important to me not to upset my hosts, alas, my nervous system gets very angry at me if I don't keep it fed with nicotine. If I can do that without anybody noticing, all the better, and I certainly don't want to wake up the other guests.

For all that, it's probably less of an issue than I made it out to be in my own mind. But boy, those boards sure did sound loud when I stepped on them.

All in all, I really liked the place. So did my wife. I think that it was our favorite of the three at which we stayed. I did a lot of writing while I was there, which implies that I was enough at ease to be able to muster some creativity. Thinking about it, it's exactly the place I would go if I needed to hole up somewhere and work on a novel, or something along those lines. It would be perfect for that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Lucas P
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Spent one night at Headley Court and it could not have been more enjoyable. Kathleen was a wonderful host. The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable and you had a choice for breakfast! Traditional Irish breakfast, French Toast or cereal and yogurt. There were 4 of us, 3 had the traditional and 1 had the French toast, can not say which was better. Can't wait to go back to Bunratty just to stay again! Very convenient to Bunratty Castle, Durty Nellies and Shannon Airport.

Room Tip: Had two rooms both en suite, well maintained and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Dawn O
HCBunratty, Owner at Headley Court B&B, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you so much for that lovely review - it was a pleasure meeting you all. Glad to see you're home safe and sound:)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunratty
Bunratty Castle Hotel
Avarest Bunratty B&B
Avarest Bunratty B&B
#11 of 23 in Bunratty
Carrygerry Country House

Been to Headley Court B&B? Share your experiences!