All reviewskathleen browneshannon airportbunratty castlemade us feellow roadbed and breakfasteasy accesshouse is beautifula great staywent out of her waytwo nightsfantastic breakfastminute driveour room was spaciousstayed longerhome away from homehost
Reviewed July 7, 2013

As part of an excursion across Ireland, my wife and I had a night booked at Headley Court in Bunratty. This was one of the final nights of our very active vacation and we were pretty tired when we got there. When you've been actively traveling for a while and the exhaustion has caught up, there are some things that differentiate a good stay from an adequate one. For me, the differentiators for Headley Court are:

1) Signs all over town. Navigating in Ireland, even with a GPS, is a crapshoot. The roads have the merest planning, the towns are almost impossible to drive in and street addresses seem never to have caught on in Ireland. We had spent days struggling to find one place after another when we got into the center of Bunratty and immediately saw signs for Headley Court. We kept right on seeing them as we drove down the Low Road and every time I started to feel a little discouraged that I might have gone a turn too far, there was another sign. After days of difficult navigation, I cannot overstate how much of a boon this was.

2) The understanding and use of modern technology, including Web and social media. This is important to me, because it is how I communicate with others about my experiences, and it's how I stay informed.

3) Some kind of sweet bread in the hallway, next to the guest book. After lots of driving, fighting with traffic and just the exhaustion of weeks of being on the road, there's something to be said for having a little nibble at the next stop.

4) Kathleen is very efficient. She runs a tight ship. For instance, she has breakfast cards that allow her to queue up breakfast for her guests, which I thought was pretty novel. In general, the whole experience was one of efficiency and clear communication.

5) The house is downright beautiful. I've seen hotels in the English countryside that were designed by be beautiful, sprawling pastoral edifices, but B&Bs are usually pretty compact, cozy environments that are too spartan for any of that. But even the grounds at Headley Court were nice, with a little square garden and some picnic tables. The inside is wood flooring and a stair with a nice banister, and so forth. There are even some interesting decorations in the dining room, including a wood carving made in South Africa that caught my eye (I had originally thought it to be Gabonese).

I only have two negatives, and they aren't really a huge deal:

1) The location is a bit far afield from town. Headley Court is probably two miles down a long road (Low Road) from the castle. This is actually not a bad thing per se, and certainly isn't something that can be helped, but it is something of which to be aware. If you're itching to check into your room, leave your bags, run out and get a drink as quickly as possible, there aren't really any options within reasonable walking distance. There is a corner store across the street for essentials, but certainly no restaurants or any of that.

For what it's worth, our stay was late enough in our vacation that we didn't care about any of that and just wanted a place to read, write and sleep. Also, if you're driving, the drive back to the Castle is a straight shot and there should be plenty of parking in the Castle parking lot.

2) This is more of a personal idiosyncrasy of mine, but the all wood stairs and ground floor are very creaky. The reason that this is a negative for me is that I'm a smoker, and I often have restless nights where I'm up pretty late in the evening. I try to be quiet as a mouse, but every time I stepped out for a smoke (I never smoke indoors, even at home), I felt like I was waking up the entire neighborhood every time my foot landed on a floorboard.

I understand that this doesn't apply to everybody, and it may also be true that not everybody is as concerned about not being an unruly guest as I am, but while it's important to me not to upset my hosts, alas, my nervous system gets very angry at me if I don't keep it fed with nicotine. If I can do that without anybody noticing, all the better, and I certainly don't want to wake up the other guests.

For all that, it's probably less of an issue than I made it out to be in my own mind. But boy, those boards sure did sound loud when I stepped on them.

All in all, I really liked the place. So did my wife. I think that it was our favorite of the three at which we stayed. I did a lot of writing while I was there, which implies that I was enough at ease to be able to muster some creativity. Thinking about it, it's exactly the place I would go if I needed to hole up somewhere and work on a novel, or something along those lines. It would be perfect for that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Lucas P
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Spent one night at Headley Court and it could not have been more enjoyable. Kathleen was a wonderful host. The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable and you had a choice for breakfast! Traditional Irish breakfast, French Toast or cereal and yogurt. There were 4 of us, 3 had the traditional and 1 had the French toast, can not say which was better. Can't wait to go back to Bunratty just to stay again! Very convenient to Bunratty Castle, Durty Nellies and Shannon Airport.

Room Tip: Had two rooms both en suite, well maintained and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Dawn O
HCBunratty, Owner at Headley Court B&B, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you so much for that lovely review - it was a pleasure meeting you all. Glad to see you're home safe and sound:)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Of all the B&B's I stayed at in Ireland, this was my favorite. Kathleen, the owner went out of her way to make sure I felt comfortable, welcome, and relaxed. My room was perfect....cozy, clean, bright, and super comfortable. The weather was a bit cold while I was there, so Kathleen made sure my bed was warm with hot water bottles and lots of extra blankets. Breakfast was top notch, the best French toast I've ever had, so much food and coffee and tea! The dining room had a lovely view and there was private parking. I couldn't recommend anyplace more.....well done and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
13  Thank 0813Traveler
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was our second visit to Headley Court! We had stayed here in 2011 and had a most enjoyable experience. As my husband had business in Dublin we found ourselves in the lucky position of visiting Ireland again last November. We flew in and out of Dublin (I wish it had been Shannon) but took time out to re-visit Bunratty Castle. Overnighting in Headley Court was just fantastic once again. Every aspect of this B&B is so comfortable - be it the huge warm and cosy bedroom, fabulous sitting area or inviting dining room. As Kathleen had, on the previous day, actually closed for the season we were her only guests. Over tea and delicious home baking we had a long and enjoyable chat before retiring for the night. Breakfast served at 8a.m. was wonderful with lots to choose from. Reluctantly, we bade farewell to our wonderful hostess and hopefully we will return in the not too distant future. Kathleen Browne, you do a wonderful job!!

Room Tip: Just a great place
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Barbara L
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We (me, my friends and their kids) stayed in Headly Court for one night only and very much enjoyed that stay. The rooms were clean and spacious, the whole interior of the B&B was very well decorated and comfortable, the breakfast was great and lovely hotess Kathleen was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family