“Disappointing!”

JP Clarke's
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Bunratty
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: JP Clarke's is a rustic country pub featuring reclaimed sandstone floors, timber beams with brick and stone walls. The atmosphere in JP Clarke's is relaxed, friendly and informal, while the overall impression is of a pub that is both comfortable and rustic. Bunratty is a great location to meander the day away enjoying fine food and chilled wines and beers, forgetting about the worries and stresses of life.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

A very busy restaurant/bar with impersonal rushed service. Noisy, hard to hear what anyone says at your table. The chairs at our table were loaded with crumbs and food, we had to wipe them ourselves, had to return cutlery that had obvious food on it. Food was average, a bit bland. We ended up anxious to finish our meal and leave; the entire rushed, dirty atmosphere promoted the feeling. Unfortunately not many other choices in this village.

1  Thank VGDreamin
Declan O, Public Relations Manager at JP Clarke's, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Hi there! Thank you for the review. We appreciate that you took time out to leave us some feedback. I apologise that your recent visit to us was not what it might have been expected by you. We are currently at our peak season for business and the restaurant is normally busy at most hours of the day. As you can imagine, a packed restaurant can be loud especially during the summer months. However, I do apologise that there was crumbs left on your table and chairs. This is not how we normally treat our customers. All staff are told to clean down both tables and chairs after customer vacate them. Thanks again for the review and I hope you can return to us one day.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

On arrival 2 staff walked passed our party of 6 without acknowledgment. When I approached the young barman he sternly asked if I had a reservation. No smile no hello no welcome, when I said no he turned and walked away. We were left standing not knowing what to think!!! All the tables around us were empty but with reserved signs on them so we couldnt sit. We couldn't believe how he spoke to us and how embarrassed we felt. We promplty left and went to another restaurant. Food is excellent but some of the staff are rude to say the least. We visit JP'S regularly summer and winter but this has definitely put us off returning.

3  Thank Chris M
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We were here on business lunch with about ten people. My boss reserved in advance, we got the choice from a wide range of lunch dishes, and reserved our dishes accordingly.

There were four vegetarian dishes as well, even though it is famous as a seafood restaurant.

We had a reserved long table, along the window in the corner, near a door which was left open for some fresh draft.

I opted as a vegetarian, for the dish Vegetable Lasagna with chips and a side salad. My (reserved) dish was served within 15 minutes after we took our seats at the long table.
I did burn my tongue slightly as the staff didn't warn the food was served straight from the oven.
Kindly the waiter gave me mayonnaise for my chips upon my request.
Before our dishes arrived we were given the option to take out a selection of breads, like freshly thick homemade Irish soda bread, delicious. Of course water was also served. There was a neat atmosphere, we had a great craic.

One minor thing, the lock on one of the mens toilet doors was broken, but that won't blew our appetite, of course, not a big deal either, no worries.

After our lunch we were asked if we wanted to have coffee, tea or ice cream. I ordered cappuccino which was promptly served with hot milk, and of course a small layer of chocolate pieces, and steamed-milk foam; sweet.

All in all, we had a great time!
And I certainly recommend this restaurant to others visiting the Bunratty Castle area, in my beloved county Clare, in the west of Ireland.

Declan O, Public Relations Manager at JP Clarke's, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Hi Gerben, thanks for the review! Every time a customer walks through our doors, we aim to provide them with quality food, efficient service and a fully stomach to go home with! I'm delighted that you experienced all of these in Clarke's. Your right, Bunratty is a lovely village and I hope you enjoyed every minute of your visit to the village. Also, I hope your tongue cooled down after the burn!! Thanks again for the feedback and hopefully I'll see you again soon in either Gallaghers or Clarkes.
-Declan, Sales & Marketing Assistant

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We went there Monday at lunch time. Staff was friendly and pretty reasonably quick. We had to wait for food, but that is understandable, because food is fresh made, which is great. I ordered vegetable Lasagne and my bf ordered Hake. Food was lovely!
And top of it we had Crème brûlée! It was really - really good on! Something to look forward to!
And coffee was really tasty - I`m coffee person and it is not easy to find good coffee in Limerick.

Looking forward to come back there.

1  Thank MiaCC1

Hi Mia! Thanks for the feedback! I'm delighted that you and your boyfriend enjoyed the food at Clarke's so much! Our head chef Jorg works very hard to make sure we provide only the best food possible to all our customers. I'm delighted that ye both enjoyed the creme brulee, there's nothing like a nice dessert to finish off a good meal!! I'm also delighted that the staff provided you with good service as this is one of our aims for every customers. I hope ye enjoyed a safe journey back to Limerick and make sure to pop back in again sometime, even if it's only for a cup of coffee!! Thanks again for the great review.
- Declan, Sales & Marketing Assistant

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great place with great food. Teenagers can be picky but were very happy with the choices here and they serve all day

Hi Marie, thanks for the review! I appreciate you taking time out to leave us some feedback. I'm glad that ye enjoyed the visit to Clarke's and I'm delighted we had a good variety of dishes for ye to choose from. Let me assure you that all teenagers are picky no matter where they go!! Hope to see you again sometime and once more, thanks for the review
- Declan, Sales & Marketing Assistant.