“Not much bang for your buck”

Bunratty Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bunratty
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The positives - tons of free parking, beautiful exterior, comfy bed, close proximity to Bunratty Castle & Folk Park.

This hotel was booked for my husband and me as part of a package. It was probably the most expensive place we stayed during our trip, but it was our least enjoyable stay. When we arrived, we were given our key, and when we opened our room, there was someone else's luggage - luckily we did not walk in on anyone actually in the room. To the desk employee's credit, we were quickly given another room.

The rooms are somewhat stuffy and not very updated at all. We could easily hear noise from the hallway. The continental breakfast was terrible - greasy bacon, powdered eggs, and sullen employees serving coffee and tea.

The hotel bar (Kathleen's) has decent food but great drinks. They have nightly music, but I think it's kind of an amateur "folk club" or something that plays - the quality of music was not as good compared to other restaurants/bars that we visited.

This hotel is what I would expect from staying at a $60/night Super 8 in the States.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank july_hymn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,502)

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I came to the Shannon area for work and stayed here for 8 nights...and as I left was looking forward to coming back for 1 more night prior to heading home. The desk staff is outstanding, the rooms are old world style and excellently appointed and very clean, there was a temp control in my room, and my room also overlooked a pasture with cows which to me was heavenly! There is good shopping right across the street and many pubs and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel pub has excellent food and plenty of beers on tap. Lots of trees enhance your view. Close to Bunratty Folk Park. I will stay here anytime. The only downside is that the room doors slam rather loudly, which is why I rate 4 out of 5 stars.

Room Tip: Some king bed rooms have different layouts, upon reservation ask about layout options. Some are larg...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was booked for us as part of a trip package. We had been reading the reviews that some rooms did not have working A/C, and we got booked into one of them. Clearly a problem they've now had for weeks and need to get on top of. It made the room stuffy and downright unpleasant after showers. Personally my bed was busted and the mattress was leaning to one side. On the positive, breakfast buffet was good and they had excellent wifi in the rooms.

Overall I'd recommend steering away from this hotel until they get their act together on infrastructure.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank mgeorgejr
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I had Rm 121 and it could not have been dreamier. All rooms were very clean as was ours; however our children took two rooms down another hallway (128 & 130) and were in sauna like conditions. Here's the bigger problem. They complained and were told it would be fixed; we complained about it and were told the same thing. I don't like being patronized Prior to booking, we found the hotel marvelous to deal with; while there, a young inexperienced staff knew only how to deal in platitudes. Hopefully, this problem can be remedied. Also I stress that Ireland was going through a heat wave which was unheard of and therefore, this may not be a problem in the future. As clean as their rooms were, the common area, especially the lounge with couches needs to be freshened up. Dusty and very smelly--but only that room. The eating area was fine.
To sum up: all rooms were clean and comfortable as far as beds, bath etc. go. Our room was great. The other two were unbearably hot. Location is great!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IrishRover777
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were impressed with the desk staff to start with. Very kind and helpful. The room was clean, a bit on the older-painted over style we could tell. But the room was well appointed, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel primarily for its proximity to Shannon Airport. The hotel was clean, room large with modern accommodations including air conditioning and a fully equipped bathroom with shower and tub. Generally it has wifi though the system was knocked out by a thunder storm the evening I was there and was not up by the next morning - do not know if this happens regularly. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fine. The pub/cafe food was good enough. I do agree that this little hamlet town is a bit of a tourist trap - there were quite a few busloads of people coming and going. If you are looking for proximity to the airport, however, it is very close and easy to reach from this hotel. There is a spa that I did not take advantage of on this visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Lovely hotel, spotless clean, great value for money. rooms are spacious and the bed was huge so very comfy and lots of good pillows.Air con was great to have as it was a very clammy night. Breakfast was self service and yummy. I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ozziebb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunratty
Bunratty Manor Hotel
Limerick Strand Hotel
Limerick Strand Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick

Been to Bunratty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!