“Surprisingly Good”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bunratty
London
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I didn't have overly high expectations given what other people I know have said about the hotel but overall it was a positive experience.

Positives:
1. Good size car park (important given that there may be several coaches of tourists staying);
2. Room had recently been refurbished to a high standard;
3. Decent gym (compared to other hotels);
4. Reliable, free wi-fi;
5. Helpful staff.

Negatives:
1. Room service ends fairly early (9pm, although they will do sandwiches) which meant that after I was late back that was all that was available;
2. You need to buy a swimcap to use the pool which is tiny;
3. Its almost impossible to get the toilet to flush which, from other reviews, wasn't just the case in my room.

Also worth asking to avoid a room that has a connecting door to the next room - it meant I could hear who ever was in the connecting room for 1 night snoring.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have a connecting door to the next room - it meant I could hear the TV...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
London, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our first night stay in Ireland was at the Bunratty Castle Hotel... on May 3, 2013...We would all agree that the accommodations are a 5 star... Friendly and very helpful staff. Excellent pub across the street.. We recommend the Fish and Chips...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda H
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 13, 2013

A lovely hotel. our room was very large with free wifi. bed was comfortable. breakfast was one of the better I had in ireland. The only reason I wont stay here again is that it is in Bunratty. A very small touristy town with little to do other than the castle.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob A
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights, with breakfast and 2 dinners included.
Big, clean and spacious Family Room.
Food was great
Staff were friendly
Nice leisure centre
Lovely restaurant hotel and next door to hotel.
Hotel helped organise birthday surprise for by girlfirend.
Child friendly.
Close to Dirty Nelly's Pub.
Bunratty Castle is well worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Baltinglass
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel. What a delightful stay. My 8 year old daughter & I were warmly welcomed by Sandra and Deirdre in reception. What a breath taking lobby. The chandeliers sparkled and a warm, cozy fire drew us in. We were confirmed for a 2pm check in. We chanced our arm at 12:30 & our early arrival was pleasantly accommodated. We were even granted a late checkout (1pm) at no extra charge & complimentary breakfast. There is an amazing, almost magical aroma throughout the hotel. I had requested a quiet room and was given a gorgeous family room (#260) tucked away in the back. The room was spotless. The bed was of perfect firmness & the linen was crisp. There was loads of shampoos and soaps. We were delighted as we use generous amounts of both. The toilets are the eco friendly, low flow. If you are not familiar with them, you need to press the flush button 3 to 4 times in quick succession to flush. The water pressure in the shower was perfect! The swimming pool & changing room were impressively clean. Staff were warm & helpful. The water was perfect. The hot tub is bliss. I was very impressed with the spaciousness of the sauna and steam room. It is only a 5 minute walk(I timed it, both ways) to Bunratty Castle & Folk Park. We had a gorgeous lunch in Kathleen's bar in the hotel. My daughter says they served the best soup she's EVER had. I had the seafood chowder which was quite substantial. Deirdre, in reception, arranged a night at the Bunratty Castle Banquet for us. All went very smoothly. We had the BEST time. The food was exceptional. The chicken was moist & succulent. The service & entertainment was fabulous. My daughter was over the moon to see someone thrown into the dungeon. We'd like to thank the hotel very much for the fabulous weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carrie F
Racine, WI
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a good change from big-city hotels, as it is in the style of a manor house. The decor was attractive, but some of our neighbors complained that they had trouble finding working outlets. We enjoyed being able to open the windows. We were with a tour group, so we had a scheduled breakfast which was OK but nothing out of the ordinary. The rooms were clean, with small TV sets that should have had instructions as to how to turn them on and use them.

Room Tip: Actually I am not aware of a spa, my error above.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were really disappointed with our stay at Bunratty Castle Hotel, and it appeared to just be a comedy of errors the entire time we were there for our two nights, and wasn't made up for by the staff.

We had booked two rooms, one for our kids, and one for my wife and I. The kids got a family suite (two double beds), and we were supposed to get an Executive Suite (King Bed and a Suite). Well the kids room seemed to go pretty well. The room had been recently renovated, and didn't have any issues (except the toilet didn't flush, but we soon came to learn none of the toilets flushed properly.....). So for our room, our Executive Suite, looked out onto the roof top, straight into skylights and air conditioning condensors, and also included a humming noise that was still going full volume at 9:30 at night. Additionally the television was hilariously small (about as big as my wife's laptop screen), and the toilet didn't flush, and once it did a bit, it just kept running. Around 9:30 PM we decided we couldn't take the noise, so requested to be moved so we got moved to a smaller room, but it was quiet, and we bed down for the night. Everything was fine until about 5AM, when I could swear there were people in our room talking, but actually they weren't in our room, they were on the other side of the paper thin door, but just sounded like they were in our room. This wouldn't have been too bad, but between what sounded like a wedding reception finding their rooms at 5AM, and a departing tour bus leaving at 6:30 AM, it sounded like there was practically a parade outside of our room for 90 minutes (which actually amplified like it was going right past our bed.) Did I mention the toilet in this room didn't flush also (though no big deal, they were going to upgrade us to a better room in the morning.....

But you know, these things happen.... No big deal, it will get sorted. So we went to breakfast, and well that was a bit of a disappointment, I've had a lot of Irish breakfasts, and this has got to be the worst one I've seen in our 2+ years living in Ireland. I skipped it, the kids picked at their food, nobody got food poisoning, the day was look up:)

We got back to the hotel in the afternoon, got moved to our new room (still not the size that we had reserved, but it was much better, though small.) The toilet there didn't work either, but I figured out you could fill the liner to the trash can with water and dump it in the toilet which seemed to work adequately after a couple of buckets full. We had dinner in the restaurant, though I probably knew better at this point, but it was included with our room package (there is definitely a trend with the food here....) Some of the pasta was edible, the pizza was chewy, and the beef lasagna was so packed with mushrooms, that my wife was surprised to find any beef. The service was so slow, we all left before dessert because though it was free, it wasn't worth the wait.

And then we went to sleep, which was fine, until at 7:00AM someone comes walking into the room we are sleeping in, having been given the key to our room. He was as surprised as we were, and thankfully it was our room not the room our kids were in. And if that weren't bad enough, we kindly got a 7:30AM wake up call that we hadn't requested. When I called to complain about the person coming into our room at 7:00AM they said that the guest had made a mistake and entered the wrong room, but none of our room keys worked, so they clearly had reset the locks to our room, and he hadn't gone to the wrong room.

And finally when I got the bill, the only adjustment that was made was to reduce the cost by 30 EUROs per night because we had been put in a smaller room than we had reserved, no reduction for all of the other issues. I made it pretty clear I was unhappy, but in the end I just paid, and we'll see if a follow-up email will do anything. Though I was really surprised when I asked for the contact information of the General Manager, they said to just send it into the standard email address, and it would be forwarded on. That is a good sign that my email probably wouldn't even get to the GM.

Oh well, just avoid this place if you go to Bunratty Castle. Stay in Limerick, it is not that far. Or if you are going to stay here, keep it to one night, get a family room (much cheaper and nicer), and make other plans for eating meals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank bdanna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunratty
Bunratty Manor Hotel
The Old Ground
#1 of 9 in Ennis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,502 reviews
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport

Been to Bunratty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!