“Royal Irish Coach Tour”

Bunratty Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bunratty
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our first night stay in Ireland was at the Bunratty Castle Hotel... on May 3, 2013...We would all agree that the accommodations are a 5 star... Friendly and very helpful staff. Excellent pub across the street.. We recommend the Fish and Chips...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda H
There are newer reviews for Bunratty Castle Hotel

Reviewed May 13, 2013

A lovely hotel. our room was very large with free wifi. bed was comfortable. breakfast was one of the better I had in ireland. The only reason I wont stay here again is that it is in Bunratty. A very small touristy town with little to do other than the castle.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob A
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights, with breakfast and 2 dinners included.
Big, clean and spacious Family Room.
Food was great
Staff were friendly
Nice leisure centre
Lovely restaurant hotel and next door to hotel.
Hotel helped organise birthday surprise for by girlfirend.
Child friendly.
Close to Dirty Nelly's Pub.
Bunratty Castle is well worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel. What a delightful stay. My 8 year old daughter & I were warmly welcomed by Sandra and Deirdre in reception. What a breath taking lobby. The chandeliers sparkled and a warm, cozy fire drew us in. We were confirmed for a 2pm check in. We chanced our arm at 12:30 & our early arrival was pleasantly accommodated. We were even granted a late checkout (1pm) at no extra charge & complimentary breakfast. There is an amazing, almost magical aroma throughout the hotel. I had requested a quiet room and was given a gorgeous family room (#260) tucked away in the back. The room was spotless. The bed was of perfect firmness & the linen was crisp. There was loads of shampoos and soaps. We were delighted as we use generous amounts of both. The toilets are the eco friendly, low flow. If you are not familiar with them, you need to press the flush button 3 to 4 times in quick succession to flush. The water pressure in the shower was perfect! The swimming pool & changing room were impressively clean. Staff were warm & helpful. The water was perfect. The hot tub is bliss. I was very impressed with the spaciousness of the sauna and steam room. It is only a 5 minute walk(I timed it, both ways) to Bunratty Castle & Folk Park. We had a gorgeous lunch in Kathleen's bar in the hotel. My daughter says they served the best soup she's EVER had. I had the seafood chowder which was quite substantial. Deirdre, in reception, arranged a night at the Bunratty Castle Banquet for us. All went very smoothly. We had the BEST time. The food was exceptional. The chicken was moist & succulent. The service & entertainment was fabulous. My daughter was over the moon to see someone thrown into the dungeon. We'd like to thank the hotel very much for the fabulous weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Carrie F
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a good change from big-city hotels, as it is in the style of a manor house. The decor was attractive, but some of our neighbors complained that they had trouble finding working outlets. We enjoyed being able to open the windows. We were with a tour group, so we had a scheduled breakfast which was OK but nothing out of the ordinary. The rooms were clean, with small TV sets that should have had instructions as to how to turn them on and use them.

Room Tip: Actually I am not aware of a spa, my error above.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were really disappointed with our stay at Bunratty Castle Hotel, and it appeared to just be a comedy of errors the entire time we were there for our two nights, and wasn't made up for by the staff.

We had booked two rooms, one for our kids, and one for my wife and I. The kids got a family suite (two double beds), and we were supposed to get an Executive Suite (King Bed and a Suite). Well the kids room seemed to go pretty well. The room had been recently renovated, and didn't have any issues (except the toilet didn't flush, but we soon came to learn none of the toilets flushed properly.....). So for our room, our Executive Suite, looked out onto the roof top, straight into skylights and air conditioning condensors, and also included a humming noise that was still going full volume at 9:30 at night. Additionally the television was hilariously small (about as big as my wife's laptop screen), and the toilet didn't flush, and once it did a bit, it just kept running. Around 9:30 PM we decided we couldn't take the noise, so requested to be moved so we got moved to a smaller room, but it was quiet, and we bed down for the night. Everything was fine until about 5AM, when I could swear there were people in our room talking, but actually they weren't in our room, they were on the other side of the paper thin door, but just sounded like they were in our room. This wouldn't have been too bad, but between what sounded like a wedding reception finding their rooms at 5AM, and a departing tour bus leaving at 6:30 AM, it sounded like there was practically a parade outside of our room for 90 minutes (which actually amplified like it was going right past our bed.) Did I mention the toilet in this room didn't flush also (though no big deal, they were going to upgrade us to a better room in the morning.....

But you know, these things happen.... No big deal, it will get sorted. So we went to breakfast, and well that was a bit of a disappointment, I've had a lot of Irish breakfasts, and this has got to be the worst one I've seen in our 2+ years living in Ireland. I skipped it, the kids picked at their food, nobody got food poisoning, the day was look up:)

We got back to the hotel in the afternoon, got moved to our new room (still not the size that we had reserved, but it was much better, though small.) The toilet there didn't work either, but I figured out you could fill the liner to the trash can with water and dump it in the toilet which seemed to work adequately after a couple of buckets full. We had dinner in the restaurant, though I probably knew better at this point, but it was included with our room package (there is definitely a trend with the food here....) Some of the pasta was edible, the pizza was chewy, and the beef lasagna was so packed with mushrooms, that my wife was surprised to find any beef. The service was so slow, we all left before dessert because though it was free, it wasn't worth the wait.

And then we went to sleep, which was fine, until at 7:00AM someone comes walking into the room we are sleeping in, having been given the key to our room. He was as surprised as we were, and thankfully it was our room not the room our kids were in. And if that weren't bad enough, we kindly got a 7:30AM wake up call that we hadn't requested. When I called to complain about the person coming into our room at 7:00AM they said that the guest had made a mistake and entered the wrong room, but none of our room keys worked, so they clearly had reset the locks to our room, and he hadn't gone to the wrong room.

And finally when I got the bill, the only adjustment that was made was to reduce the cost by 30 EUROs per night because we had been put in a smaller room than we had reserved, no reduction for all of the other issues. I made it pretty clear I was unhappy, but in the end I just paid, and we'll see if a follow-up email will do anything. Though I was really surprised when I asked for the contact information of the General Manager, they said to just send it into the standard email address, and it would be forwarded on. That is a good sign that my email probably wouldn't even get to the GM.

Oh well, just avoid this place if you go to Bunratty Castle. Stay in Limerick, it is not that far. Or if you are going to stay here, keep it to one night, get a family room (much cheaper and nicer), and make other plans for eating meals.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank bdanna
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at Bunratty Castle Hotel for a bank holiday weekend. Initially I was impressed by the beautiful building and friendly staff. Once we got to our “executive” room, I was overcome by an unpleasant smell. I tried to ignore it since I have a sensitive sense of smell and it didn’t seem to bother my husband. Combine the smell with the high pitch mechanical whining coming from outside our window (view of nothing but rooftop machinery and peeling painted walls) and I could not ignore the headache that I got. Additionally, after multiple attempts the toilet would not flush. My husband called down to complain about the noise twice before someone came up to look. Finally, we were moved to a new room.

Our second room was better, albeit significantly smaller. It had two windows overlooking the parking lot, and my husband who is not a light sleeper was woken early by tour busses outside our window. We were both also woken throughout the night by people hanging out in the stairwell by our room. The toilet did not work well in this room either.

The following morning, we were moved to a third room. This room was much improved in appearances. It appeared to have been updated and had fresh carpeting, bathroom fittings and even a tv that was large enough to be viewed from the bed (the others were too small). Other than the toilet not flushing well (a definite theme in this hotel), we were content….. until the morning. We were woken around 7:30 by guests who had been assigned our room and walked in on us. It was a rude awakening but I was tired and had almost fallen back to sleep when we received a wakeup call …. That we had NOT ordered.

Our group's second room was satisfactory other than a poorly flushing toilet.

Food – breakfast was a mediocre buffet. The included dinner was very disappointing. We waited at least 30 minutes between our starters and mains. My beef lasagne contained almost as much mushrooms (not listed) as beef. At a table of five, one person (10 year old) was happy with their meal.
Overall, a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Alanna D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunratty
Bunratty Manor Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
The Old Ground
The Old Ground
#1 of 9 in Ennis

Been to Bunratty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!