“STINGY WITH THE BREAD”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“STINGY WITH THE BREAD”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

On St Patrick's Day had a evening meal at The Copper Hen and the whle the food was adequate, the bread served with the soup was so thin and small and staff seemed surprised when I asked for more. I didn't think bread could be sliced so thin.
The meal was adequate, but when it came to paying there was a discrepancy about items consumed, and a new bill was prepared somewhat grudgingly.
The potato and leek soup was watery with dollops of oil floating on top.
Not a good National Holiday experience.
T

Visited March 2012

Dunmore East, Ireland
“A little gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Great food, Great place, Great value!

First of all the dining room itself is lovely - very cosy with lots of character. Service is very friendly and efficient. But the most important thing - the food - is truly a cut above most other restaurants in the Waterford area.

Deep fried brie with chili jam and salad, confit of duck with red cabbage, pork belly in rosemary jus - all delicious.. my mouth is watering just thinking of these dishes. We were all pretty full at the end so didn't opt for desert, but on a previous visit I had sticky toffee pudding which was lovely.

The bill for 6 of us came out at about 26euro a head including starters, mains and beer/wine. We finished off the night with a drink downstairs in the cosy pub.

Overall a great restaurant - it's a little off the beaten track but totally worth seeking out.

Visited March 2012
Waterford, Ireland
“Very polished. Delicious food, fantastic service :)”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Recently had an excellent experience in the Copper Hen. I hadn't heard a great deal about the place previously, but went on a friend's glowing recommendation. Setting was extremely cosy, seats were comfortable, table settings crisp and clean. All the basics done right. Staff were very attentive and friendly, one young lady in particular.

Food was very reasonably priced, and portion size was generous. We plumped for the set menu, which had a nice variety of dishes, all local produce too. The leek and potato soup was flavoursome, and a perfect consistency. The risotto was nicely al dente - I prefer it to be more bite than slop, so it was spot on for me. The pork belly was exceptional. Incredibly tender meat under a small layer of fat with a crisp top. Usually I find belly a bit fatty but this was perfect. The jus was incredibly rich, almost too rich for me, but it was so moreish I dispatched the lot (much to the chagrin of my waistline). The vegetarian option was a vegetable crumble, which was beautifully presented and very fresh tasting, even though the red pepper oil threatened to overpower the veg. It is nice to see effort being put into vegetarian options, my wife was dreading a beetroot risotto or the ubiquitous mushroom pasta.

For dessert, my wife had the chocolate brownie, which was very nutty but tasty. I quite fancied the lemon tart, which wasn't on the set menu. I asked our waitress and she said it would be absolutely no problem. I love this kind of service. In the past, I have ordered from the early bird or set menu in restaurants, and if we dare to ask for a different dessert, we are met with "Er..I'll ask the chef," or even sometimes a resounding no. Top marks to the Copper Hen for this. The lemon tart was delicious too, a caramelised top and soft pastry served with a vanilla ice cream. I would have liked it a touch more bitter but hey, that's just my own personal taste.

Overall, we were very impressed with everything about the Copper Hen, and will be returning soon. Keep up the good work :)

• Visited March 2012
Waterford, Ireland
“Great food and attentive staff.”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Lovely menu with a good effort to use local foods. Really tasty food, and the staff are very eager to please. Look forward to going back

• Visited April 2011
Waterford, Ireland
“Good value quality food”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Good restaurant good staff clever menu always, would definitely recommend.