“Definitely not a quality experience”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Youghal
Nenagh, Ireland
“Definitely not a quality experience”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Check a quick check in. No wifi only reception only they say it works in bar and restaurant but no.

The room was not clean bath and taps cracked and broken and coffee stained cups. The room was freezing. After numerous calls to reception the room was cold for 2 days. The bed was however comfortable.

On immediate arrival we went to the leisure centre to book my son into the crèche and to book the New Years ball for him. The guy laughed saying no crèche out of season however this is not what their web site said. Then told no more places for ny ball. What could I say this is why we drove 4 hours from Dublin. Also regarding the swimming pool wear pool shoes the floors were dirty and take own towels or you will be charged.

Had a lovely New Years dinner made a lovely effort with our son. We had booked for 6 so went to the bar as this was the only option left open to us. And by 7.30 there were no tables and chairs left.
So really the only choice for us was to see the new year in sitting in our very cold bedroom. Things got gradually worse as the evening went on. Kids were screaming and running in corridor and then started to knock and ring door bell. I felt very sorry for what seemed like the only security person. The noise died down at 3am.

The next morning couldn't wait to leave. The minute we opened our bedroom door the smell of cigarette smoke was horrific. My belief was you could no longer smoke in hotels this came into effect 2004. Obviously this does not apply to this hotel.

Not a happy new year. Should have gone to the real quality hotel in clonakilty ...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank emma-in-dublin
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your review and at the outset I apologise for the fact that we did not appear to any of your expectations on your recent visit. However I feel your review is grievously unfair, before I saw your review I had an e mail from a Front Office staff member offering her opinion of the review and I have copy & pasted this below;

E mail received on 04/01/2014 at 17.14
"I read the review on Trip Advisor this morning.

Just wanted to make a few comments on it.

1. It was said "the room was freezing for the whole stay despite ringing down to reception on numerous occasions about it." I worked from 3pm on both nights and never got a call. There was no complaints from any other room about the cold on either of these nights.

2. It was said that "we informed the guest that the Wi-Fi worked in the bar and restaurant only." I checked this booking in and as I tell everyone inquiring about internet access at it is only available in the bar and lobby. There was no mention of the restaurant made. This person came to the desk Tuesday evening to get an internet ticket and didn’t come back to say it didn’t work so I can only assume that it did.

3. With regards to the comments about the room not being clean and the cups dirty etc. again I got no phone-call to report the poor presentation of the room.

4. It was said "that the reason they came here was for her son to go the crèche and the ball and that they had looked up the crèche details online." The website clearly states that pre-booking is required for the crèche and it also stated the age policy for the New Year’s Eve Ball, which for everyone’s comfort is 4 years and over.

5. There were a lot of teenagers running around on the Tuesday night but I was here until 10.30 and I didn’t get any phone calls reporting any bad behaviour

I don’t normally pass comments about reviews but the fact that none of the points made were true, bar maybe the children running around, really annoyed me. Just wanted to air my opinion on it. "

Now the feedback from the staff member was unsolicited and unnecessary as that staff member had nothing to gain by offering their feedback as it did not slight her, however I have to regard it as genuine. Since you posted your review I have contacted the guests that were staying in the rooms on either side of yours and they had no issue whatsoever with the heat, they did confirm that it was a very busy night and that there was a good bit of traffic on the corridors early in the evening but not enough to disturb them. The guidelines in relation to the crèche & New years Eve ball were posted on our website for all to see, these are for everyone's benefit.

I hope this gives a bit of balance and we will let the reader form their own opinions.

Yours sincerely

Allen Mc Enery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Even though the hotel is closed through the week, the self catering apartments are still available, and at a price that cannot be beaten, as mentioned before this is an ideal location for fishermen due to top class fishing right on the door step of the apartments, currently fishing close by, but tomorrow night we will be fishing behind the hotel, will be definitely be coming back.cant wait to get back to room and have a shower, then more fishing tomorrow!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank stevecrow74
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am glad to hear you found our accommodation to be to a high standard. Hopefully the fisihing weas also.... We hope to see you back again soon. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Three lads stayed here in November for two nights......the house was top class and very spacious. We were out fishing till late each night and it was lovely to come back to a very well heated house.We did not get a chance to use the facility's although we did have a pint in the bar....We were well pleased with our stay and promised to return shortly......with more fishermen.
A word to management there is a potential clientele in fishermen/anglers to tap into if it was marketed properly....Fishing in this area is at its best at this time of year and you have a great beach at your doorstep.....If needed you can contact me for further details....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank paul m
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Hi Paul, thanks for taking the time to post the review, I am happy you had a comfortable stay with us and that you found the local fishing to be to a good standard. I also appreciate your comments in relation to assistance / guidance in this market which I will take you up on. Thanks again and I will be in touch. Regards Allen McEnery
Sandbach
Reviewed November 26, 2013

A mate and I recently stayed at this hotel and admittedly we weren’t expecting much considering we picked this up for a bargain price of £36 for a Friday night. However we were pleasantly surprised as it surpassed our expectations. It was well presented, well decorated and the rooms were warm, inviting and the bed was comfortable. The staff were helpful and catered to our needs even if they were minimal. It was prime location to the nightlife and very well priced considering that. It certainly provided us with a base for a great night out.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and isn't it nice to get a bit of good value. Glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found everything to your satisfaction, we hope you will be back. Regards Allen McEnery
Kirkby-in-Ashfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

An excellent one nighter in a two bedded apt all mod cons comfortable beds and lovely and warm inside. Eileen and Therese on the reception showed fantastic customer service skills extra coffee and milk for my elderly mother and a sewing kit produced for me in an emergency. Sat on a balcony overlooking the sea and watched the sun come up. Total value for money a superb stay

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your "quality review" and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay in our apartments, we hope to see you back. Regards Allen McEnery
carlow
Reviewed November 1, 2013

stayed in one of the self catering houses which was lovely, clean, comfortable ,warm etc. We ate in lannigans restaurant on the first night and were very, very disappointed. The meal was totally over priced. We really felt we were ripped off. I ordered porksteak and an apple relish which was actually a pork chop with cold apple relish on top.We were waiting a long time for our meal even though the dining room was practically empty. During our main course we were asked what we might order for dessert as the chef was going home! The desserts were very uninteresting. I would not consider returning to this restaurant as there are alot of better quality and better value restaurants in youghal itself.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your review and we are pleased you found the accommodation to be to a good standard. We are disappointed that your dining experience was not to your satisfaction and I accept your comments in relation to your main course as I cannot dispute them as I was not there on the day, and for this I apologise. However I do not agree with your comments in relation to price, we offer great value in this area, we offer full dinner for two including two glasses of wine for €50.00, we do an early bird full menu for €21.95. You should not have felt rushed during your meal and we will use your feedback as part of our on-going training of staff to make sure this does not happen in the future. Regards Allen McEnery
Tipperary
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed for 1 night in 2 bed apt. Spotless as usual, (this was our 6th stay in the apts.) We had the carvery in the bar on Sunday, and returned for more on Monday as it was lovely. The pool & gym always go down great with our kids. Walks on the beach were very refreshing! We arrived early and wouldn't have minded waiting to check in as there is plenty to do there, but the reception staff moved us into an apt. which was ready, while also not changing away from our sea view request. Terese was a great help to my daughter with regards to the Halloween party on Sunday night, so thanks a million for that. Well done to all the staff who looked after the kids, they were great. We will definately be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and we are delighted to see that we have such loyal customers. We are glad that you had another enjoyable break and hope to see you back again soon, Therese appreciates your comments also. Regards Allen McEnery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
Park Hotel & Leisure Centre
Garryvoe Hotel
Garryvoe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Garryvoe

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal? Share your experiences!