“Disappointing family holiday !!”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Youghal
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had booked the quality hotel as they was quite a large group of us, 22 in all consisting of pensioners, children and adults some of whom has learning disabilities. When looking at the hotel it seemed that it would be perfect for what we needed a family orientated hotel with all facilities on site.
What a disappointment... We were allocated houses which was further away from hotel than told, our houses was also located beside the staff houses to which we had to endure their dogs constantly coming over and barking and the staff member coming to get them in her bra and see through pants.
This was totally unacceptable and I reported it to the duty manager that evening whom was totally disbelieving and rude. On our ladt night we also had to endure one of the houses partying which resulted in a full on fight.
The houses themselves was ok with clen bed linen but floors,
curtains and windows grubby.
The location of the hotel is beautiful and the swimming pool was a great benefit. The food was lovely but menu limited.
On check out I voiced my concerns to be offered a follow up phone call next week.
Very disappointed after planing for few months and traveling over 280 miles to get there.

• Stayed: July 2013
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear there were aspects of your stay which you were not happy with. I have spoken to the parties concerned here and the feedback is as follows; You were allocated these houses because you wanted three houses together and this was the only option available. Also you originally booked for the 10th September and subsequently changed this to July, in September it would be a lot easier to allocate you three houses that would be a little nearer to the hotel. One of the Hotel Managers does live in No 42 and he does have small dogs, I believe both you and one or two of your group asked him if your family members could play with the dogs and of course he said that would be fine so I feel your comments in relation to the dogs to be disingenuous, otherwise he keeps them in doors. We do allow small pets in our holiday homes if advised in advance. I do believe there was some noise from another holiday home but the Night Manager who does a patrol every forty five minutes did not notice anything unusual on his rounds. I am glad you found the houses, the hotel operation and the Leisure Club to be to a god standard. Regards Allen Mc Enery

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Beautiful location, gorgeous beach perfect for toddlers. On booking requested two travel cots as we have 2 infants. On arrival we just had one. I went to reception to enquire about the 2 nd cot and was told we usually just give one per apartment. I explained when I made the telephone reservation I requested two? To be told we just usually have one per apartment and if there's any left over they will send it over. No cot arrived. My 2 year old slept on a mattress on the floor I woke 3 times during the night to find her face down asleep on the carpet she moves alot and had fallen off the mattress. We go away alot and never had an issue with two cots. If I had known this was a policy of quality hotels I could have taken my own it should be clearly stated. There was a smell of vomit in the living room area aswell which wasn't pleasant. Why did I not complain about the vomit smell!? We would hardly get a new room judging by the Un-availability of cots. Going for breakfast the following morning on passing the storage area with doors opened I saw a few travel cots very disappointed unless they were all damaged I feel like the hotel weren't too worried about my request. Won't be staying there again with my two toddlers until there in beds!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear the issue of cots has caused upset. The only issue here is that you should have been informed that we have a policy of giving one cot as that is all we can give out in peak season. We have a stock of sixty cots to distribute on any given day and we allocate one initially to all requests, and if we have a surplus then we will gladly give out a second. I suspect in this instance we did not have a spare, the ones you saw in the store were probably broken, we buy good quality travel cots but they still do not seem to last very long. We always try to be accommodating but during July & August we have to limit one per unit unless there is a surplus. I hope this explains our actions. Regards Allen Mc Enery

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is my second visit to this hotel, with my partner. We wanted to take advantage of the recent fabulous spell of weather and go to a place on a beach. You couldnt get a better place beside a beach, all 5 kilometers of it. It is so convenient to the beautiful Redbarn beach, which has a blue flag, and lifeguards on duty. Plenty of sand, and you can even drive onto the strand, handy for all the equipment needed to keep a family going for a day at the beach.
Anyway, back to the hotel. It is great value for money, not the lap of luxury, but not terrible. Its a mediocre hotel, which is a great base to have while staying in this area. Food is very acceptable, breakfast room got extremely hot with the sun at only 10.30 am. Breakfast buffet was very tasty, and restaurant and bar snacks were very good too. Plenty of amenities around, in case weather gets too bad. Kids and adults alike well catered for.
Youghal is the closest town, and has lots of shops, pubs, restaurants etc. Aherns is a beautiful place for seafood. The Pak Fook is the best Chinese around, and Yawl Bay will sell you some beautiful fish products. The nearby seaside village of Ardmore is beautiful, with the 5 star Cliff house hotel, beautiful.

Room Tip: Although the ground floor rooms with sea views are the best, I found that all the rooms along the se...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and indeed previous stays. We are a family oriented hotel and have adjusted our accommodation & service offering to reflect this. We are glad to hear you are a regular visitor and that you find our offering suitable. We look forward to seeing you back in the future. Regards Allen Mc Enery

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We are just back and a ball ,Three Families went down and stayed in three holliday homes beside each other with large open garden to the the back so we were able to have a bbq each evening and the kids could play safely.The houses had everything you need and were modern and clean. The beach and hotel were only a 2min walk away. The Leisure Centre had a lovely indoor pool , the hotel had cinema nights for the kids each evening which they loved, we could not fault anything the staff were so nice and great with the kids, I would like to thank Therese and her team for a great time .

Room Tip: Rooms at the corner are large and sunny
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for your good review, I am glad you found everything to your satisfaction including the sunshine! We hope you will be back to us again, I am sure Therese will look after you.. Regards Allen Mc Enery

Reviewed July 9, 2013

One of the best stays we have ever had. The room was nice and had a lovely view but the best thing was the friendly staff.
It is a quite area near Youghal with lovely coast drives and restaurants.
We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your review and I am glad to hear you really enjoyed your break with us. We look forward to seeing you back again in Redbarn. Regards Allen Mc Enery

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed in one of the houses with a baby and a toddler. Place was well kitted out and clean but space is limited on the ground floor as they use the sitting room as a bedroom. Not a problem if the weather is nice and you are out and about but with two small kids making a mess it can get a bit chaotic in the kitchen/living room.
The leisure centre is lovely and it's a short walk to the beach but the playground was disappointing. The public one in Youghal is much better. I wonder if the management would consider putting some more swings and slides etc on the green in front of the houses as it would be great to have somewhere for one parent to entertain kds while the other packs the car/cooks/has a cuppa!
The service was excellent - very helpful and responsive. I managed to lose the house key in the car and had a screaming baby to deal with and the manager came up to let us in immediately. Thank you! I also couldn't figure out how to work the oven and the handyman appeared toute suite and we were cooking our lovely organic chicken from Midleton's farmers market in no time!
It's well located for visiting fora, cobh, ballymaloe, midleton, whitegate, Ardmore and there's a great open farm called Leahys nearby that's a must for small kids. The food in the hotel bar was good but nothing fancy. We didn't inflict our kids on the restaurant so I don't know what the food is like there.
We really enjoyed our two weeks there and we're sad to leave.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your great review of our hotel & facilities, I agree the play area is not huge and I will take that on board. We do have additional outdoor activities on site this summer which are proving popular but the beach is the big winner this summer. We hope to see you back. Regards Allen Mc Enery

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here recently in one of the holiday homes which was spacious and spotless and had everything that you would have at home. The hotel is a two minute walk from the holiday homes and is literally on the beach. We ate in both the bar and the reataurant and thoroughly enjoyed the food and the view of the beach. The kids really enjoyed the pool and loved the cinema nights which gave us a bit of a time to enjoy a drink in the bar, The staff were lovely and fiendly and very accomodating. Overall this was one of our best holidays and we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your break by the sea. We hope to see you back in Redbarn again. Regards Allen McEnery

Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
Walter Raleigh Hotel
Garryvoe Hotel
Garryvoe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Garryvoe
Aherne's Townhouse Hotel Youghal

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal? Share your experiences!