“Total rip off if you have children”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Youghal
Limerick, Ireland
“Total rip off if you have children”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed in the apartments in August with our six year old twins. We decided not to go abroad as we usually do as my husband convinced me that holidaying in Ireland would be more economical - how wrong he was (if fact on the very day we got home I booked our holiday to France for August 2013). The price that this hotel charges for the children's clubs is outrageous. Indeed, it is the only hotel where we have ever had to pay for the kids club. On arrival we were given the kids club prices for the week which started at €10 per child on Monday to €16 per child on Friday for three hours in the day. I pointed out to reception staff on leaving that it was the first time that we have ever had to pay for a kids club in any hotel, either in Ireland or abroad, we were told that this was why the hotel was cheaper than others as they didn't factor in the cost of the kids club - completely untrue by the way as it definitely wasn't the cheapest hotel we could have stayed in (I had done extensive research). Needless to say, my children didn't attend any of the clubs for the duration of our stay. I was equally horrified that the children's disco which was on on Saturday nights was at a cost of €5.00 per child. Complete and utter rip off. However, as our boys really wanted to go we decided to let them. On arrival we found that it was indeed a kids disco, in a tiny room upstairs and not like any other disco I had been to - there didn't seem to be any parents hanging around so we left the children to it - I had assumed that it would be a family night but seemed more along the lines of a kids club with music . On arrival the floor was absolutely covered with crisps (there were a lot of toddler there - choking hazard). I requested that the room be vacuumed however, despite the vacuum cleaner being brought to the room in my presence, my boys informed me that it was not used to clean the mess on the floor. Very disappointing as well as dangerous.

We had booked our staying using supermarket loyalty tokens and it clearly stated on our invoice that breakfast was included. However, on arrival we were told that breakfast was only included if we had stayed in the hotel itself and not the two bed apartments. This was the first we had heard of this. However, as we had seen the breakfast and given that my husband has coeliac disease we decided it would be safer for him not to chance it, given that it was €10 per adult and all he would be able to eat was the eggs and bacon so not worth it. The restaurant and bar were also very expensive especially when you have children.

However, I couldn't really fault the apartment in any major way. On arrival we were put into a ground floor apartment and found that there was a leak coming from the apartment upstairs. Despite being initially told that they didn't have another apartment for us, when I pointed out that the leak was coming down through the light in the ceiling and I wasn't prepared to stay there with my children as I felt that this was dangerous for us all, we were soon put into a different apartment - just had to wait for it to be cleaned. Although it wasn't spotless and I spent ages trying to wash the grease from the tiles around the kitchen! The cleaning staff however were all really nice and very obliging. Would have preferred if there was a vacuum cleaner in the apartment though instead of having to ask the cleaning staff for one when I required it.

The location is also great (although the beach was closed because of the e-coli issues for most of our stay - a fact which oddly the staff did not inform us on check in).

The pool and gym facilities were great - the children thoroughly enjoyed and pool sometimes going twice a day.

All in all, my husband and children enjoyed their stay. I, on the other hand felt very let down by all the extras that needed paying for - had we done them all it would have cost us more than our usual two week trip to France. I would say that the hotel is great for a short stay (indeed we are returning shortly to say in one of the houses), however, for a summer holiday it definitely didn't live up to expectations - there are many hotels where you can bring your children where the kids club don't have to be paid for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thanks for your review and for your positive comments in relation to the accommodation and leisure facilities, I am glad that yor family enjoyed their break even though you had reservations. Our main market for the Quality Hotel is the home holiday family and to that end we endeavor to have a good array of activities for children. These include kids camps, €10.00 per person for a camp lasting from 11.00am to 3.00pm, we get great feedback from both parents and the kids who participate in these, for the wide variety of activites we include. Supervised cinema, nightly for €3.50 which includes a mineral & crisps, again we feel this is very well priced. At certain times of the year we put on disco's and again we have a charge here of €5.00 which includes refreshments. We also have a creche that has a nominal hourly charge. In the current climate where hotel room rates are very competitive we are not in a position to include the above activities free of charge, these are not profitable, we put these on as a service but cannot afford to run them at a loss. In relation to other hotels I cannot comment only to say that being a parent myself I have not experienced activities such as we provide being offered complimentary in any hotel I have visited, in fact some hotels charge for kids accommodation which is something we have never done in the nine years we have been open. We are transparent and all our activities are listed on our website with the appropriate cost. Thank you again for your feedback. Regards Allen Mc Enery.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Large Hotel complex right beside the beach. However the beach was closed due to some problem which in fairness wasnt hotels fault. House was large and well furnished -did the job, kids happy, bar food was a bit hectic but ok.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your review, sorry about the beach issue, we are very proud of our Blue Flag but due to flooding and other related issues the beach was closed for four days. Glad you found thew house well fitted out & comfortable. We hope to see you again in Redbarn. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Ireland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is really a great place for a family break. We had one of the 4 bedroom houses which had very large rooms, great beds and all the facilities you need with small children (especially the washing machine).

The big bonus here is the 3 minute walk to the beach and a good swimming pool. Both of which will keep the kids and adults entertained every day (if you like that kind of thing). Also you are only 5 minutes drive from Youghal town which has Super Value, Tesco and Lidle supermarkets so you do not need to overload the car for the journey. There are also great browsing opportunities, bars and eateries in the very pretty and historic town centre.

Unlike other reviewers we found the hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful (including the bar staff). A special thanks goes to Eileen at reception who ensured we were fully sorted with cot, DVD player and high chair.

So why is there a ...but... in the heading. There are a couple of things you need to bear in mind and once you are prepared for them then they should not be an issue. Do not expect your house to be spotless. The cleaners just seem to do a quick once over on what is visible but do not worry too much about what they cannot see. Plenty of dust under beds, sofas, etc. Also old and rancid food found on high shelves in the kitchen as well as chocolate under the sofa (you do not want your toddler finding that kind of thing). Give the place a quick once over and try to turn a blind eye to detail and you will be fine. Note, no linen, toilet paper or bin changes during one full week without chasing down the cleaning staff.

The bar food is functional at best. The chef comes across as one who sees the bar as a place full of parents trying to deal with the kids so they will not really care about the food too much. We had lunch here 3 times and the pizzas are OK but really you are talking cook from frozen and pre-made meals. It will do if you don't want to cook and don't want to drive to town. I would recommend the hotel reduce the prices of bar food to reflect the standard.

The hotel needs a little bit of attention. Replacing broken tiles in the pool, a lick of paint and so on.

The beach is lovely but I have to agree with others here that the quality of people using it leaves something to be desired. I do not understand people who travel to enjoy a beach and then leave their rubbish behind. Why??? This is not the fault of the hotel but do not be dissapointed by the bits of human detrious that you will inevitably find here. A much more active litter warden is required.

All that said, there is good value in this hotel and it is a very good self catering option. We would definitely return and stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your detailed review and I take on board your feedback, I have passed your comments in relation to the house to our Accommodation Manager as we like to think we have a better standard than that normally, but not in this case unfortunately. I am sorry to hear that your food seemed to you to be regenerated, but it was not so I am not sure what happened, all our bar food is cooked to order and the menu is designed accordingly. I am glad that in the main you had a good break and that you found the house was comfortable and well fitted out. We will work on your feedback and hopefully you will see an improvement on your next visit. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Apartments are beside the hotel, kids club, leisure centre and beach. Don't expect dust free or quality mattress. Bar food atrocious which we discovered first evening. We promptly headed to town for breakfast supplies to avoid disappointment.
I left my room to go find a child I saw wander out of the playground- as I found and returned him I met panicked staff. The playground needs a spring loaded gate.
I asked for the floor to be hoovered before toddler mattress be put down on the filthy carpet- nobody came near the place with Hoover at all, even after mattress was sorted.
I think I might return equipped to self cater- its functional and kids enjoyed it.
The old imperial hotel in town has fab food though

• Stayed September 2012
Thanks for your review, I have passed on your comments in relation to house keeping to the Accommodation Manager but I can confirm that these carpets are cleaned regularly and replaced when necessary in an organised fashion, we have just completed cleaning the carpets in all the apartments and replaced the carpets in twelve of them. We hope it will not put you off a return visit. Thanks & Regards Allen Mc Enery
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had a nice, short stay in an apartment with two young children; comfortable and spacious... Staff very helpful... Restaurant for dinner was a bit disappointing (service was a little slow (children were finished their meals before ours arrived) and the mid-September menu is a bit restrictive (even though, as it turned out, most of the discontinued dishes were still available from the bar downstairs))... Leisure centre a nice amenity, also... Beware Garmin users - in-built address on Garmin maps is incorrect; this hotel is not in central Youghal..! :)

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review and I am glad you had a pleasant stay at our hotel and that you found it good valuue for money. Hopefully we will see you back in Redbarn again. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Moving east today we reached the quaint town of Youghal, we booked into the Quality Hotel, no complaints, the location near the beach is excellent, the rooms are cleans, the staff are freindly, our only complaint was the food especially the breakfast which was served in the bar & was totally unappetizing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matilda M
Thank you for your review and I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us, there have been a few comments about the breakfast offering lately so we have looked and this and hopefully addressed the main area's of concern. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Ireland
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed in one of the holiday homes attached to the hotel, with full use of all the hotel's facilities. Had a great week, in large part because the weather was so good - and it was just outside peak season so not overrun with too many kids :)

The house was nice, clean, modern and had plenty of space.
The Hotel itself is almost right on the beach - the road up to it just finishes on the beach.
About 5 or 10 minutes drive outside Youghal, certainly not walking distance if that's what you're looking for. Although you could walk along the beach almost all the way in I'd say if you're energetic.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful in any dealings we had with them.
Foodwise, had breakfast and some pizza and both were very good.
Free access to the leisure centre was great, used the pool a few times. It's relatively shallow so no problem with the young ones, but also has a baby pool too.
Little playground out front for the toddlers.
Plenty to do in the area and within a half hours drive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank larmarIreland
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Hi, thanks for your review, glad that you and your family enjoyed your break and we home to see you back with us again in the future. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
#1 of 1 in Fota Island
Cliff House Hotel
Cliff House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ardmore

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal? Share your experiences!