“Meh”

Walter Raleigh Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Youghal
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My family had food here over the weekend past. I must say the new set up there looks very nice and the food was very nice. However the staff would want a kick up the ****. One girl in particular was practically throwing the plate at us with an attitude.
I would eat here again on the basis that she isnt working. Felt let down

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JMurphyCork
Nick_P_Ryan, Owner at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed our food, we have taken great care to provide our guests with the best of locally sourced produce we can find. The new look Walter has been a great success for us and well worth the investment for the future. I would welcome the opportunity to speak or meet personally with you regarding the unsatisfactory table service you experienced so that we can identify the issues and correct them.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Walter in the near future

There are newer reviews for Walter Raleigh Hotel

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Me and my wife got married there recently and words can't describe how happy we are with the walter raleigh hotel, we looked at many hotels around Cork City and County before making our decision and from day one we knew we had made the right decision the owners Nick & Grace were brilliant, the staff fantastic, the food out of this world, it was the best day/night of our lives and we strongly recommend any couples looking to get married to definatly consider the walter raleigh hotel.Dave & Denise

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

We also enjoyed your wedding day, one of the best things about owning the hotel is to share in the celebrations of our guests, we love a party. Grace and I wish you both all the best for the future and thank you again for choosing the Walter for your very special day

Nick & Grace

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed in the family room with my two children and my grandchild. The room had a sea view and a park view aswell. The room was magnificent, very clean and the staff repeatedly asked did we need anything extra in our room. The choice of breakfast was outstanding and the bar was of rustic character and a lovely place to have a meal in the evening. We will definately return again.

1  Thank Corkonian6

Thank you for your very kind review of our hotel, it is great to hear positive comments especially about our staff. We look forward to seeing you back at the Walter in the future.

Nick & Grace

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were met at by a very friendly receptionist, who told us that we had been allocated one of the recently refurbished rooms. She also told us that we had arrived at the start of the mackerel festival, and that tasters of local mackerel would be given out in the bar later. The impression on entering the hotel is that it is an old building which has been very tastefully remodeled and redecorated. As others have remarked, the lift is slow and judders alarmingly, but it gets there! Our room had a lovely sea view, but was rather small, disappointingly so by comparison with others we had stayed in on our tour of Ireland.It was a warm day, and the room was very hot, and obviously there is no air conditioning. Opening the window helped, but as there was a main road outside that was not an option overnight. We threw off the covers and slept reasonably.
Breakfast was magnificent, with plenty of choice and pleasant and attentive staff. If I was passing Youghal again I would certainly consider staying here again, and I do wish the new owners every success.

Room Tip: A room to the back would not have the view but you could have the window open for coolness
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for thanking the time to review our hotel. We bought the hotel in November last and started our refurbishment in January I am delighted to hear that you approve. The building dates back to 1800 and I agree that some of our rooms would not match in size to newly built hotels as the en suites had to be installed into the original room space; however I think the sea view more than makes up for that. Weather wish we have experienced one of our best summers for decades in Ireland as normally we would never require air-conditioning at night. I have taken your comments on board and will arrange for fans to be available on request next summer. We will also offer summer rated 3 tog duvets in the rooms.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel is in a lovely location, with some lovely views of the sea nearby. We didn't stay here but we went for dinner here. The staff were lovely and very friendly and the food was amazing. Massive portions of home cooked food, I would recommed the burger!!
We will be calling in there again next time we are passing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

I will pass your comments onto our head chef; he loves to hear when guests have enjoyed his food.

Thank you and we look forward to serving you again at the Walter.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a hotel at ease with its location, the historic town of Youghal. It is an old building, renovated now recently, but keeping some intimacy and quirkiness of its past. Keeping to gentle, mainly neutral hues, all is pleasing. Most rooms give out to the green and the beach in front and the road in between does not appear to be too noisy. The view is charming and tranquil. Parking is plentiful. Our pleasant room was fairly small, but well furnished with plenty of storage. The bathroom (shower) was modern, well functioning and well lit. The only thing that would improve the room would be a small armchair, for those who like to read. The breakfast was very good and particularly tasty (try the pastries!) and the service attentive and cheerful. The bar/saloon is cosy and attractive with wood panelling. Food is available at the hotel. Our stay was comfortable and pleasant. Will definitely repeat the visit next time in Youghal. Recommend.

Room Tip: Higher floor, more view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I never stayed at this hotel, but regularly stopped there most Sundays for brunch (very tasty changing entree choices-very affordably priced; served by a consistently friendly and engaged wait staff). They also have the best seafood chowder in Youghal. As regards the hotel itself, I know the new owners are completely remodeling it inside and out, with 1st floor rooms already done. I also walked past the hotel every day to access the footpath up the hill to the Carlton Village apartments and was keeping note of the major exterior renovations under way which were needed and impressive. I left at the end of May, 2013 and look forward to catching up with the final results of all these improvements in this local "Grand old Lady" when I next return to Youghal-which I surely will. Lastly, you can't, given its location, beat the Irish Sea views from the hotel (only a little less than those from my apartment high on the hill above)..

Room Tip: Arrange for a remodeled one 1st floor (in US terms that's the 2nd floor) or higher on the front...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick_P_Ryan, Owner at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your kind words, we have embarked on this labour of love to provide the town of Youghal with a hotel to be proud of. It really helps when we receive positive comments from our guests, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
#1 of 2 in Castlemartyr
Garryvoe Hotel
Garryvoe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Garryvoe

Been to Walter Raleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!