“Tony is the Perfect Guide”

Blackwater Day Cruise
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Blackwater Day Cruise was a wonderful time. Tony is the perfect guide with so much history to tell and has so knowledgeable about the area, he was the perfect story teller and captain. The weather was a little cold and drizzly at times but we had a wonderful time just the same. This is definitely a trip worth taking. After the cruise we spent the day walking around Youghal, it is a lovely fishing village and a town steeped in history

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Tony who runs the cruises is very knowledgeable and has a lovely manner about him. Tony ferried my father, myself and a few friends up to old Strancally (we only had a couple of hours to spare and had a 5 year old aboard). I contacted him very last minute and he was able to oblige us.

Even though I had motored up this way in the past on a few occasions growing up, I was pleasantly surprised at some of the changes and also that the river was being utilised more these days, we encountered sailing and motor boats as well as anglers. Tony imparted many facts to us and talked about some tales of old, we all enjoyed the few hours and the walk around the mackerel festival afterwards. I will definitely use Tony's guide services to venture further up the river on another fine day in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Tony Gallagher is the perfect guide and boat captain for sharing the wonderful river estuary. The history and scenery is breathtakingly beautiful. The 90 minute boat trip from the quay in Youghal aboard Meave Óg (Tony's new boat) is a great introduction to the Blackwater river and valley. It is a memorable trip for all the family. Call Tony in advance as spaces are limited and the exact departure time can depend upon weather and tide. See the website for a flavour of this treat www.blackwatercruises.com

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Blackwater flows into the sea at Youghal, Co. Cork, Ireland and tracing it upstream towards its source in the East Kerry Mountains, this wide river takes you past some of the most breathtakingly serene views I have ever seen, somewhat reminiscent of a Norwegian fjord, but with a constant current and many many ancient castles and historic sites right on the banks of the river.

Tony Gallagher is the captain of Maeve Óg and really is a wealth of knowledge, although you might not take it all in on the first trip. For that reason, I would recommend reading up a bit on the history of the river Blackwater first, so you can get the significance of some of the sights and sites.

No small wonder that Stanley Kubrick filmed the 'Barry Lyndon' duel scene on the banks of the Blackwater, as the scenery is sublime. There is a video on the Blackwater Cruises website which attempts to do justice to the river, but to be honest, as there are only a few difficult-to-access vantage points by road, there is only one way to see the Blackwater and that is from the river itself (or by air if you are lucky enough). I think the trips finish around the end of September or so, but they start up again about Easter time usually.

As you can tell, I am an annual patron of Blackwater Cruises and live less than an hour's drive away, so yes I am biased!

1  Thank fionngiolla
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This was the last trip to Cappoquin for the Maeve as Tony has bought a new boat.
We had a lovely trip up, good lunch in the Sportsmans in Cappoquin - Bacon and Cabbage.
The Blackwater is steeped in history and Tony is a great storyteller.
On arriving back to Youghal we did a tour of the town, - up the Gaol Steps, through the gate in the Town Walls, had a walk along the Olde town walls and St Marys Church and graveyard and ended up in the beautifully kept St Marys gardens.

3  Thank leahys