Aherne's Townhouse Hotel Youghal
Bayview Hotel(Ballycotton)
$169
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewstasting menuseafoodscallopsdrawing roomplaicepoached pearfantastic mealtop classfresh fishjunior suitesummer puddinglovely homemadelovely sitting roomopen firemain courseirish hospitalityfreshly squeezed orange juice
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Recently returned from a 2 night stay in Ahernes - had purchased on Grabone. After reading all the reviews on tripadvisor I was really looking forward to the trip and especially the dinner.
I would definitely consider this property more of a 'b&b' than a hotel - room was large and lovely and they have a lovely 'sitting room area' for residence to relax and that is exactly what we did. The dinner was delicious, and highly recommend the garlic prawns and hot chocolate pudding!
Was not too impressed with breakfast - did not think the choice was good. We ate in the bar the second night - food again was lovely but definitely on the pricey side.
Overall we enjoyed our stay - if you are looking for a place to chill out and completely relax - this is a good choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for a 3 night break to celebrate a birthday. The special occasion called for a good hotel location with a variety of eating options. Ahernes matched those requirements completely. I will begin the review by getting the only slight issue we had out of the way - the shower in our en suite seemed to have a mind of its own regarding hot and cold water. That aside the accommodation was very comfortable with a lovely balcony on which we sat out to avail of evening sunshine. Ahernes has a reputation for its food - particularly its seafood. We can confirm that that reputation is well deserved. The breakfast - we enjoyed stewed rhubarb with natural yogurt and toasted granola - followed by fresh grilled fish - Hake or John Dory or their lovely poached free range eggs. Beautiful. The dinners were superb but I cannot detail each one so I will mention the Tasting Menu - a fabulous mix of local produce cooked to perfection and complimented with a range of interesting wines - all for a very affordable price. Do not let this pass you by. I cannot finish without mentioning Annie - who looked after us so well - a gem of a lady who alongside the food and the fireside make this a place that begs for a return visit. We will be back.

Room Tip: Room number 8 was very comfortable with a small balcony - evening sun trap
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This property was recommended in our Eye Witness Guide so I looked up comments in Trip Advisor, we were not disappointed. I won't say the accommodation was luxury however our suite was beautifully furnished and very comfortable and warm.

We had dinner in the restaurant on the first evening - al a carte - which was a wonderful experience. The risotto with the fish was the best I have tasted and the smoked salmon was melt in the mouth. All the seafood was cooked to perfection.

Breakfast was also a feast, the fruit salad freshly prepared and hot breakfast cooked to order, try the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon yum.

The next evening we were unable to get a table at one of the local pubs so went back to Aherne's and stumbled into the bar were we had dinner. The bar menu was a paired down version of the restaurant, the seafood chowder for entree was delicious however we were a little disappointed in our beef and Guinness stew ..... Well what else could I have expected this restaurant is famous for it's seafood so I should have ordered more of that wonderful risotto.

I would highly recommend both the restaurant and accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Had a lovely relaxing stay at Ahernes. You would know that it was a family run business, the feeling was always warm and friendly. The food is absolutely delicious and the waiting staff are so friendly. Highly recommend

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce M
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I checked in at Ahernes last Friday, St. Patricks long weekend, for one night on my way home from a business trip. I could not believe the genuine hospitality of the staff and the superb quality of the food. I had prawns for my main course and I have never had a better dish. The restaraunt and the bar were pretty busy and the athmosphere was electric. After dinner i joined in with the folks in the bar and we had a great time. I went to bed late, tired but very contented. Even before a great breakfast on Saturday morning I spoke with David Fitzgibbon and arranged to stay on for an extra 2 nights. i was lucky to get a late cancellation. I can't wait to get back there.

Room Tip: Book early if you can. Some rooms have a balcony but all are of a very high standard.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo