“Wonderful food, charming helpful staff but hotel itself needs upgrading” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cabra Castle Hotel

Cabra Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kingscourt
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, charming helpful staff but hotel itself needs upgrading”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

I stayed here as part of a wedding party last year and had a wonderful time. The staff were friendly and helpful, and really couldn't do enough for us. We had a beautiful meal the night before the wedding in the dining room, and I noticed that it was full of locals and non-residents (always a good sign). Breakfast in the dining room was good, but one minor quibble, the orange juice served is made from concentrate. I can't understand how a chef who produces such lovely food can send out "plastic" juice! The wedding meal was one of the best I've ever had, and the service was efficient. I liked the cosy atmosphere of the funtion room and that the staff genuinely wanted us to have a great time.

So far so good, but I can see how other reviewers had negative views of the hotel. The rooms in the castle itself are beautiful, as is the bridal suite, but some of the communal areas and other bedrooms were a little shabby and I feel were in need of an update. This castle has bags of potential but I think it needs to have some money spent on the decor to live up to its 4 star rating.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank susieg77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Roscommon, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

I didn't enjoy this hotel, right from the beginning trying to make the reservation I had problems and the stay was not much better. I rang to make a reservation and was told in a very curt tone that they do not take reservations outside the hours of 9-5 and snapped when I asked was she sure. Anyway I booked online instead after that as we were attending a wedding and wanted to stay due to distance from our home. I arrived on the date in question and according to my reservation I booked a room in Cabra Castle. At no point in the reservation did it mention the lodges but when I said to reception I'd booked a room in the castle I was told no I hadn't and told to take our bags back to the car and drive around to the lodges. I was not impressed but did so all the same. The room was old, dark, in need of repair and not in keeping with the period in which the property hails! The bathroom had peeling wallpaper, the carpet was worn and shabby some of the furniture was broken, the bed was bowed in the middle due to "use", the lace hanging from the four posters was dirty and the rom was cold. The door also rattled. I again rang reception and explained my disappointment and they offered a room over the kitchen which I declined as she said they don't use it if they can help it so if that was a room they weren't willing to house guests in I can only imagine how much worse it was than the room we were in. We had to walk a short walk outside to get back into the castle but it was raining on the day and not an umbrella in site. The room for the wedding reception was too warm and although the food was ok it wasn't enjoyable because of the heat. It was a cold and wet day so I can only imagine what it's like if it;s warm outside. The following morning we got breakfast and that was very poor quality. I said I was disappointed with my stay at front desk but that fell on deaf ears so I just paid and left . I will never return again. The reception staff were rude and the rooms were not nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank erinWestmeath
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

The grounds are beautiful and the castle is quite an impressive site. Our room was large and spacious but we could hear every footstep of the people in the room above us.

It is worth seeing but its location is a bit isolated with respect to touring the sites.

We were there with a tour group that was leaving early in the morning but we had made our own arrangements to leave a little later. We were supposed to get breakfast as part of the package but all we got was what was left over after the group had left earlier. This left a bit of a negative impression.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

stayed here for a family wedding have to say the wedding was brill and the meal was fantastic. but earlier in the day I got food at the bar all i got wsas chips they were over priced and hard. I wasn't impressed but the food at the wedding was amazing.
I stayed in the courtyard (no. 76) large room with double bed and single bed. the room has a tv, kettle and bathroom some storage space as well what more could you want.
i thought it was very expensive even as part of the wedding it was 150euro for a double room bed and brekkie which i thought was expensive especially since they were making plenty from the wedding as most the guests stayed.
brekkie the next morning was plentiful.

• Stayed August 2009
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

Just had a second trip to Cabra Castle hotel and once again it was excellent.
Even thought there was a large wedding on when we were there the service was excellent.
Food in the restauraunt was to really excellent , it never disappoints.
We will be back..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Donegal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

In february 2009 I booked two nights in Cabra Castle for Valentines weekend as a surprise for my boyfriend. I looked it up on line and it looked like a fantastic place & everything about it seemed lovely. We arrived on the Friday evening and had booked our meal for later that evening. The menu was fancy the food was poor to say the least. We both love our food and when I am cooking at home I pride myself on using the freshest ingredients I can get. The price of the menu I would of expected the same from Cabra castle, as a side order we got garlic potatoes, which was very obviously made with dryed garlic powder - how difficult is it to chop so fresh garlic???? Cheap Cheap Cheap!!!! I got a braised steak which was just ok. My boyfriend got lamb which he asked to be cooked medium, it was still raw in the middle, he had to send it back. The portions were miserable and the dessert was the best part of the whole meal. We left the table,,, not hungry but certianly not full either.

After our miserable dinner we were looking forward to a relaxing night. Our room was ok, the bathroom floor was covered with Lino which is a little cheap and not what I expected to see. The rooms were anything but quiet. I am a fairly light sleeper but my boyfriend is not and even he couldnt sleep that night. In the room next to us they had probably had a few drinks and the man was snoring all night, which we could clearly hear. Everytime one of them rolled over in the bed it sounded like they were in the room with you. If we got an hours sleep that night we were doing well.

In the morning we were tired and understandably upset, we had breakfast and went to the reception to tell them that we were going to check out. The staff at the reception were nice and they gave us a key for a different room if we wanted to take a look to see if it was better. We took the key and went to the room only to find it was occupied. That was the icing on the cake, I went to the room got our stuff and brought the car around while my boyfriend checked us out.

I have travelled around the world and stayed in all sorts of accomodation from cheap hostels and camp sites to top hotels and I have never had a worse night than that.

I would not recommend Cabra castle to anyone, they didnt offer to take anything off the bill or anything! Stay away if you actually want value for money and a nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NiviB
Berlin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

Really nice castle with many rooms and corners to enjoy sitting in antique easy chairs or at the (gas driven) chimney. Rooms in the stable are well equipped and spacious. Make-up facilities for ladies are poor, not only due to the mirror glass painting in the bathroom. 9-hole golf course is quite nice. The food in the bar was not that good. Breakfast buffet is small but some good choices from the breakfast menu. Service at the reception was a bit unfriendly during check in (that’s a matter of just one of the ladies).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingscourt
Shirley Arms Hotel
Ballymascanlon House Hotel
Cavan Crystal Hotel
Cavan Crystal Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cavan

Been to Cabra Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!