“Fails to disappoint. ...”

Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
donegal
“Fails to disappoint. ...”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time staying at the farnham estate and yet again I thoroughly enjoyed it! Staff are friendly, rooms are clean and spa was fab. Swimming outside in winter is really something else! Only thing I would fault was the wait in the restaurant at times other than that a great relaxing stay!!

• Stayed November 2013
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear aislingmclaughlin

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely Trip Advisor Review in relation to your recent visit to Farnham Estate.

Thank you also for your previous visit and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime soon.

Andrew Drysdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Greek first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My husband and I spent our Hallowe'en break relaxing at Farnham Estate . Staff were extremely friendly, welcoming and helpful on our arrival.
We availed of the excellent walks in the grounds of the hotel.
The standard of room is very good. It has all the necessary items - safe. mini bar, fridge, comfortable bed.
The breakfast was excellent! I don't enjoy an Ulster Fry and there was plenty there to compensate for this! A huge selection of fruit, breads, cereals etc.
The Spa and indoor/outdoor are 'second to none'!
I can't really think of any negatives regarding this hotel. For me the 'piece de resistance' was the Infinity Pool. Swimming outside in the dark while its raining MUST be experienced!!!!
I would highly recommend this hotel for many reasons - namely the friendly staff, the grounds, the spa, the food, the walks, the golfing, the whole experience. Can't wait to return!

Dear teacherA

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review and delighted that you enjoyed your halloween break here at Farnham Estate.

Glad to read that you will be recommending Farnham Estate and that you can't wait to return!

Looking forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

ireland
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed at Farnham Estate for 2 days B,B&D during the Autumn 2013 mid term break. This was our 2nd stay at this hotel this year. We chose to return to Farnham Estate based on our previous visit and we were not disappointed. All staff: Efficent, friendly, helpful, & professional. Food: breakfast buffet excellent, however dinner menu expensive for what you get! A well written menu, but starter sizes are very small (2-3 mouthfuls); main course good; didn't have dessert. Excellent waiting staff. The highlight of this hotel is the spa for total relaxation. A mention too to helpful Gentleman George who gave me good advise on the best spot to fish and on mushroom foraging. We will be back!

Room Tip: Request a room with woodland view. Bring your wellies and rain gear and go for a woodland walk.
Dear 00Alan

Thank you for taking the time to post your Trip Advisor Review regarding your recent visit.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments regarding your visit and staff here at Farnham Estate.

We appreciate your previous visit and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime soon.

Dublin
Reviewed November 7, 2013

An absolute stunning hotel just outside Cavan town. Everything about this hotel was impressive - the only negative if you can call it that, is the car park is a short distance from the hotel through a small wooded area which is not conducive at night time.

Spa - both myself and my wife experienced the spa and it was an excellent experience. The treatments were delivered expertly and the pool was divine, especially the infinity pool outside which was so refreshing it was enjoyed for longer than expected.

The food in the main restaurant was simply stunning. I had the pigeon for starters which was a treat and the venison main was out of this world. My wife chose the scallops which were cooked to perfection followed by the sea bream which was to her satisfaction also. The service was top drawer and the breads they serve pre-meal were probably the best I have tasted in this country with the exception of Chapter One. Stunning restaurant.

The walks in the hotel are plentiful and beautiful. Overall I could not recommend this hotel highly enough. Compared to Inchydoney for a spa break, there could only be one winner for both price and all package and that is Farnham Estate. Pure class

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DestAnywhere

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review and your lovely comments regarding the hotel and its facilities, our Botanica Restaurant in particular.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Farnham Estate sometime soon.

Belfast
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our anniversary. The hotel was recommended by my parents who've been many times.

Our room was lovely and the bed was really comfortable. I often have difficulty sleeping in hotels but slept like a log here - although that may also have been down to fabulous relaxing treatments in the spa and lots of country air during our walks around the estate.

Staff were lovely; always helpful and courteous. I had mentioned when booking that the trip was to celebrate our anniversary and staff had left a lovely card in our room and brought us complimentary glasses of champagne and a tray of patisserie items after our dinner on the first night.

Had an amazing Aroma Luxe massage at the spa and really enjoyed the indoor/outdoor infinity pool. The walks around the hotel are fabulous - particularly with the autumn foliage coming in.

We ate in the hotel restaurant, in the cellar bar and in the health club. Staff also booked us a taxi one night to go into Cavan and eat at The Oak Room. Food at the Oak Room was also terrific and it's a short car trip from the hotel into Cavan.

We didn't spend any proper time in Cavan itself but it seemed like a nice little town.

Our days at the Farnham Estate were a lovely blissed out escape from reality and I'd happily recommend it to anyone looking for a peaceful, serene, romantic break in Ireland.

Dear Etain N

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review and lovely comments.

Delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Farnham Estate so much and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I can not say enough about the friendliness of the staff in the Farnham Estate Hotel. I was on crutches during our stay and from we arrived to we left the staff could not be any more helpful. The driver of the courtesy bus told us to park at the front of the hotel. The young lady at reception moved us from our designated room to a room closer to the hub of the hotel. Owen the concierge brought all our bags to the room and informed us about places of interest on the way to the room. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable, with a well equipped bathroom. It was great to have the choice of shower or bath. The spa facilities were excellent and very relaxing. Anna keeps the place spotless!! The evening meal and breakfast was delicious and the waiters/waitresses were very attentive without anything being a problem for them. Especially Vanessa who was very friendly while still being professional. Thanks to Sonya who checked us out at the end of a very enjoyable break. Thank you all. Hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: The hotel is quite spread out so if you have trouble getting around ask for a room close to the rece...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ross B
Dear Ross B

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review.

Delighted that our staff were helpful during your visit and you enjoyed the hotel facilities.

Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Farnham Estate sometime soon.

Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Hotel is quite tricky to find if you don't know the area, but that to be fair isn't their fault. The car park pick-up service is a nice touch, but because of it's proximity to the hotel is warranted as a necessity. The check in was professional and courteous, if only the rest of the experience was so good. I was attending a wedding and the reception was of through a side door, outside, then into another building. A reception bar awaited us and manning it was what seemed like a supervisor/manager whom was out of his depth. I waited 15 mins until I was even acknowledged at the bar and ordered a Non-alcoholic beer, which cost €4.90 for a 330ml long neck... This in comparison to €3.80 in a similar 4* country estate hotel I managed recently in the border area. Also €1.10 more expense than the Grand Hotel Malahide, a 4* hotel in a area of Dublin, you may expect to pay such a price. The poor service continued until a young bartender was introduced on his own initially and to my amazement found out was a trainee ( it was on his badge ). He showed eye-contact, restraint and speed of service beyond his years. Thinks improved for the meal, where even though it felt like contract staff serving the meal... The banqueting/restaurant supervisor/manager was king of his domain and oversaw everything with military precession, checking on each table periodically all while remaining in control and behaving in a professional and unflappable manner. Sadly that was where the positives ended. After the meal 4 bar staff could be seen behind the bar ( to service under 100 guests ) Yet service continued to be appalling... Slow, un-engaging staff and no floor service, that I witnessed. If you are charging ultra-premium rates , then I expect some service... This was sadly lacking. As an ex-Bar manager with over 20 years experience working in 4/5 & 6* hotels/luxury resorts among other, It's been a while since I have been shocked at the lack of value for money/service which The Farnham Estate creates via it's price point and standards in relation to similar properties with similar credentials and market niche. The rooms are of average 4*star quality (€110 room only midweek is what I paid ) and breakfast was adequate, but you couldn't help feel that in the current climate, you where paying well above the odds, for a very well below-par experience. The hotel is very pretty and the golf course looked in fantastic condition and perhaps if I had been there on a golf trip my experience would have been different, but I was there for a function and room, which was offered and sadly has left me with a feeling of poor training and quality of customer experience and frankly a disjointed approach.. I would definitely avoid this hotel for any events/weddings/banquets in the future , unless it's for something which only requires a meal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank QE2Bars
Dear QE2Bars

Thank you for your detailed industry critique regarding your recent visit to Farnham Estate.

I appreciate your detailed comments and an in-depth understanding of your background. I am sure you can appreciate we do have to go through the process of staff training to ensure that our high service standards are maintained. Feedback from our weddings and banquets here at Farnham Estate has always been of an extremely high calibre and very positive. Nonetheless, your points have been taken on board and once again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Andrew Drysdale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Errigal Country House Hotel
Lakeside Manor Hotel
Lakeside Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Virginia

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!