“Pleasant surprise”

Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Reviewed May 17, 2013

On our way from Roscommon, Ireland we stumbled upon the Radisson Blu Hotel in Cavan, Ireland. It is located in the countryside and has a beautiful 18 hole golf course and an incredible spa complete with indoor/outdoor pool. It has around 150 rooms and is located on a very large estate. Again, the Irish know how to train their staff. The spa personnel as well as the front desk and restaurant workers couldn't have been more helpful. We stayed an extra night. Thanks Matthew and the rest of the staff in making this one of our highlights of our trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Cocolito

Thank you for your lovely TripAdvisor Review.

Delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Farnham Estate and I have passed your lovely comments to those concerned.

Looking forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Andrew Drysdale

Write a ReviewReviews (2,980)

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just back from a relaxing weekend stay at this Hotel with the girls. The setting, spa, treatments and 'new' bedrooms are beautiful! However the cracked ceilings and paintwork, and colder bedrooms in the older part of the hotel need some attention.

We had a beautiful 4 course meal in the restaurant, but having to ask for clean cutlery and glassware that wasn't broken, really did dampen my mood slightly. I would definitely have expected more, especially when the hotel displayed a trip advisor 4 1/2 star rating on their doors.

Two members of staff I would like to praise for being fantastic at their jobs are Ciara, in the restaurant, for her excellent knowledge of the food on offer and her wonderful recommendation of the bread and butter pudding with rum...absolutely delicious!
Secondly, Olivia in the spa, I had the phyto seaweed treatment and I can honestly say it was the best, most relaxing and thorough massage I have ever had. I would highly recommend this treatment and therapist!

Room Tip: The new rooms are much more comfortable to stay in than the older side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jenny F

Thank you for your TripAdvisor Review.

I am sorry for the maintenance issues and problems in the restaurant that you expereinced during your visit.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding Ciara and Olivia, which have been passed on.

I do hope that overall, you enjoyed your visit and that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Farnham Estate again in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

After having our wedding here on 27th April, we feel that a positive review is the least we can do for the outstanding service we received at farnham estate. From the planning right up the wedding to the way we were treated on the day was truly exceptional. We had some very choosy guests at our wedding regarding food, which we were quiet anxious about. However we had no need to worry, every course was great and to quote one of our guests it felt like like every course was especially made for you, as the standard was so high. We have to thank Patsy and Jonathan for all their hard work, and for making our special day, one that we will truely remember. Can't wait until we stay here in the future again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Argo6677

Thank you for your lovely TripAdvisor Review and lovely comments regarding your wedding here at Farnham.

Delighted that all went well for your special day and I have passed your thanks to Patsy and Jonathan.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Farnham Estate sometime soon!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Big full-on continental luxury hotel at the top of a hill in Cavan. If it had been stranded by the retreating economic tide there was no sign of it in the betowelled guests gliding along the salmon carpet towards the extensive SPA complex. The heated outside horizon pool was a big reason to come. Luckily it had been opened after the winter, so we were able to swim outside with the sheep and trees in the distance. I was doing a bit of sport so aged joints were eased by a huge variety of water treatments, hot baths, steam rooms, saunas etc. Nice walk on the Sunday around the Hotel's own woods. Dinner was first class with Irish lamb and good service, much better than the Friday night grub in the overcrowded pub basement. I am a big breakfast fan so the busy buffet with lots of choices was a hit. The modern design and finishes of the Hotel were some of the best I had seen anywhere, and they had even integrated the previous Mansion on the site. I would love a pretext to come back to the grown-up conference centre. Lots of different rooms and spaces to drink and relax. First Class.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear AndyBigfoot

Thank you for your lovely TripAdvisor Review.

Delighted that you enjoyed your visit and especially our Health Spa and breakfast buffet.

Thank you again for your lovely comments and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Farnham Estate again soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the radisson last september. The cellar bar is great apart from the price of a pint. Clean and modern hotel but it cost quite a lot to stay there. Worst thing about this hotel is the distance from the car park. I know they have a shuttle bus but we arrived quite late in the evening and it was raining and there was no sign of the bus.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Alwhelan

Thank you for your TripAdvisor Review.

I do hope that overall you enjoyed your visit and I have discussed your comments with our Bar Manager.

Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I first visited Farnham Estate (Radisson Blu) 4 years ago, and boy was I impressed.....
So much so, that I spent the past few years recommending it as the best hotel I have stayed in in Ireland !

So, with great anticipation I visited again, for a 2 night stay in April with my wife.....and was really disappointed from the very start.....

Only 1 receptionist available (= wait of 10 mins)
The first room we were given was dark and very much overlooked - to the degree of being a little disconcerting.
When we requested a change, we were given a different room - which was a big improvement, but still overlooked.
The barfood was just average - considering the price that is charged.
I would not choose to eat in the hotel restaurant, as in common with most hotels, it just devoid of atmosphere or charm (fine for breakfast though).

The furnishings in the room were in some cases scuffed, and showing signs of wear and tear, and some of the walls could benefit from a touch-up of paint. This disappointed me most.

On the plus side - the breakfast is fab!
The grounds are amazing!
I love the outdoor pool!

In the hotels defence - they had a wedding booked for each night of our stay - so this may have contributed to the choice of room availability.

For a 4 star luxury hotel, with 4 star prices - I expect a higher standard.

If I could change 2 things... it would be to have a room which was not overlooked, and which wasn't showing signs of wear and tear.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, on the wing behind the reception area.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kennedy05

Thank you for your TripAdvisor Review.

Apologies for any disappointment on this visit and thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Delighted that you enjoyed breakfast and the hotel's facilities and I do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you back to Farnham Estate again soon!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel. 2issues. I went down to book a spa treatment to be told i should have booked it when I booked my accommodation. In which I was not told to do when making my reservation. Breakfast was so busy and cutlery and plates came out of the kitchen not half washed. I was totally turned off so I didn't eat breakfast. Disappointed as I really wanted a spa treatment. Maybe staff should let customers know they should book into the spa depatment....

Room Tip: Please take this inboard as we did travel a good bit to stay with you!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Samantha S

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

I am sorry for any disappointment caused due to the fact that you could not have a spa treatment during your visit. It is our normal practice to advise guests when booking of the necessity to book a spa treatment prior to arrival. Unfortunately, this does not seem to have happened on this occassion and I have passed your comments to our Resort Sales Manager for discussion with her staff.

I am sorry also for the problems with breakfast and wish to assure you that this is not our normal standard and I have spoken with our Restaurant Manager regarding this.

I do hope that overall, you enjoyed your visit and that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Farnham Estate sometime soon.

Andrew Drysdale

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Hotel Kilmore
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Errigal Country House Hotel
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!