“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Dublin, Ireland
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stopped in at this hotel on a trip back to Dublin. The carpark can be a little annoying to some I would guess having to get a shuttle back and forth but we walked up and back to the hotel as it was a fine day and its only a few minutes walk.

For me though I am a sucker for afternoon tea and sample this in most hotels I visit. This was most definitely not reflective of a good experience and I was really disappointed having heard some fantastic reviews on the place. The service and staff were lovely, we had a really nice waitress who looked after our order. The afternoon tea itself was boring, bland and let my view of the hotel down. The sandwiches were plain ham and butter, salmon and butter and cucumber and butter. A little chutney, marie rose dressing, red onion marmalade or even a simple wholegrain mustard could have livened these up completely. The scones were fine, served with cream and preserves so no complaints here. The pastries were awful, and quite evidently bought in. There was a mini cheesecake, a small brownie and a sort of truffle are the most I can remember. For me it looked as those they were the remnants of a wedding assiette dessert and not the assorted French pastries they advertise as to serving. I may be wrong but a brownie and a cheesecake don't constitute the delights from a French patisserie in my book.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stn_Eve
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Stn_Eve

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

I am very sorry for the fact that you did not enjoy Afternoon Tea here at Farnham Estate. I have discussed your comments and reviewed the contents of our Afternoon Tea with our Executive Head Chef.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Farnham Estate sometime soon.

Andrew Drysdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Greek first
limerick
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here Friday nite last on way to black lion. Got a good deal in Jan sales on the room rate. Was dark by time we arrived wow wat a treat. Design decor were amazing.went to the spa out door pool thermal suites just so relaxing. Had pub grub in the cellar restaurant and a lovely breakfast following morning.. Biggest problem was we didn't stay long enough!!i have stayed in a few five star hotels and would definately consider this hotel up there.

Dear sunshinegirl72

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review.

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully next time you will have a longer visit!

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a meal here last night and it fell way short for what is acceptable. I had chicken which was very average but the steamed veg were very poor and the mashed potatoes came out a big sticky mess like a purée. The desserts also were horrible. I had bread and butter pudding and my girlfriend had poached pears. The only positive thing was the starter. The veg soup was fabulous. I don't think I will be returning. At over €1000 for a two night stay with one dinner in a executive room you would expect much more.

1 Thank Kieran41
Dear Kieran41

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

I am sorry for any disappointment caused on your recent visit. I have discussed your comments with our Executive Head Chef, and he wishes to convey that this is not our normal standard.

I do hope that you will reconsider your decision and return to Farnham Estate as we would welcome the chance to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

On the last morning of my stay with my boyfriend now, we stayed for two nights, first day we got there we had a couples massage booked as in getting them done together, we were told to take a seat so we did 5 mins later My BF gets called by a guy I thought I must have to wait a bit, an hour passed no sign of me getting any were so I went back to the desk owww there reply were you not called, like I rushed from Dublin to be left sitting in a chair for an hour they took me straight in but no couple massage :( they didn't charge me least they could do an hour like a plum on a chair an not the massage we asked for, next day I was getting my eye brows waxed at 12 I didn't get called till 12:15 I wouldn't nit pick about 15minutes but after the day before I was a bit, so all is well girl showed me them I said yes lovely thank you as I was walking out of the room I said I'd have another little look in the mirror and I see what looks like a ball of gum stuck in the hair at the side of my head above my ear I said what's that she said ahh it's just a bit of wax handed me a cotton pad with some stuf on it and sent me on my way I sat at reception of the spa and could not get it out wax not candle wax you could just crack out hot wax that goes sticky like gum I was freaked to say the least cause I just done my hair iv really long hair :( I didn't want to get the girl in trouble but had to get some help to get this stuff out of my hair a manager of some sort got it out but now it looked like I had rubbed baby oil all in my hair, she offered me a free wash and blow dry but I didn't have time I had lunch then horse riding booked then had dinner booked, I felt like crying not a minutes luck in that spa the pool and all is lovely just staff haven't a clue we got a complimentary nights stay on my return I will not be booking a treatment, best bit of my stay was horse riding I'm terrified of horses and oliva made me feel so calm and understood this my BF loved it to he had more confidence than me best money spend of the whole trip i think it's the best way to see the grounds it's a must people :)

1 Thank Karen8365849
Dear Karen8365849

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

I am sorry for the confusion and problems encountered in our Health Spa and on speaking with our Health Spa Manager, I do hope that the issues were sorted to your satisfaction.

Delighted that you enjoyed the horseriding and I have passed your lovely comments to Olivia.

I hope that, overall, you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for a 2 night break at valentines. This being my second visit to this hotel.

In comparison to my last visit which was on a New Years Eve two years ago, i found this visit a whole lot better in terms of staff interaction with guests and the improvement of service.

I in general mainly visit hotels with thermal suites. In particular with this hotel to some others i enjoy the lounge chairs around the pool in which you can lay, sleep and just chill for the day or how ever long you wish. Some other hotels dont have this facility and this means returning back to the main hotel or your room.

The hotel itself is set away from main roads and has some lovely walks. As much as this hotel is a 'commercial hotel' chain it does have its unique characteristics. There are three separate themed rooms in the main original house. Away from the bar they can be nice to relax in the evenings or for lunch.

Breakfast i found to have a good variety and always fresh and topped up. I had dinner in the Cellar bar and the main restaurant. Food in the main restaurant was very tasty. In the Cellar bar i did find that the service was poor. The bar staff consist of the waiter serving you and not a proper bar person. Not much of an issue except were you look for a specific drink etc... And yes you guessed they dont know how to make it ! Or what your talking about. Poor reflection for any hotel.

Overall this hotel is for pure relaxation. Service in general i found up to the Radission standard of 'yes i can'. Would most defiantly return.

*If you like my photos of hotel and review please hit 'Like'... Thanks

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hjs007
Dear Hjs007

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review and lovely comments.

Delighted that yourself and your girlfriend enjoyed a relaxing break here at Farnham Estate.

I am sorry for the poor service you received in our Cellar Bar and I have discussed your comments with our Bar Manager.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming back sometime soon!

Belfast
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We've just come back from Farnham and it was a really lovely few days. The service in the hotel was great; plenty of staff available who were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are well-stocked - good range of cereals, breads, pastries, juices, toppings e.g. seeds, fruits and yogurts. We didn't have the cooked breakfast but absolutely stuffed ourselves with the continental! We had lunch and dinner on one evening in the Cellar Bar. My hubby had the burger which he said was delicious. I had the curry which was quite mild but very tasty. The desserts were divine – sticky toffee pudding and the chocolate brownie. Both to be recommended. We had full access to the leisure facilities – the Spa is fab. We both had treatments and felt chilled out and pampered. The swimming pool is lovely and the opportunity to swim outside in Cavan is an interesting experience! We went walking each day and used the walks mapped out by the hotel. The brochure says that Farnham has 1300 acres to roam but the walks are quite limited as most of this is farmland. There are 5 walks to follow and they are very pleasant although not particularly challenging. This is a minor issue – we had a fantastic break and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carmel27
Dear Carmel27

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review.

Delighted that yourself and your husband enjoyed your break and the hotel facilities.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Farnham Estate sometime soon!

Dungannon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Have to say that anyone who has a bad word to say about this place I would strongly disagree. Great food, service, entertainment and a wonderful spa weekend. Very friendly and welcoming staff and house keeping had the room spotless. Can't wait for the next stay in the next few months.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank conormckillion
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear conormckillion

Thank you so much for your lovely Trip Advisor Review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and hopefully we will have the chance of welcoming you back sometime soon!

Andrew Drysdale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Errigal Country House Hotel

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!