“Radisson Blu Farnham Estate Hotel, Cavan”

Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed here recently for one night. The hotels location could not be better. Its in the middle of a huge estate and has its own golf course which you pass through on the way in.The recepitionest was lovely and check was quick and easy.
Our room was nice, it was on the ground floor but it could have a bit bigger.
We had a meal in the bar which was nice. We decided to order a ham sandwich for to have later in the room and were shocked at the price. It cost €6.95 which was a lot considering it consisted of only two slices of bread and a couple of slices of ordinary ham no garnish or anything extra and we carried it to the room ourselves. The bar staff could have been nicer.
At 4 am the fire alarm went off. It was a false alarm but that was our sleep ruined.
The hotel is lovely but we won't be rushing back.

1  Thank culcrick

Reviewed January 23, 2013

very impressed with this hotel and the staffs attention to detail, the food is so good, most amazing breakfasts, the rooms are really airy and very clean, a little tip, ask for a room on the first floor as you get a door out to a little patio, great for a bit of fresh air!

Room Tip: as above in my comments!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lesleymcateer
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel is a lovely hotel, the have exceptional rooms + staff but the food lets them down everytime. We have stayed twice and would visit again as the setting is beautiful with great facilities.

The cellar bar is very pleasant but they have lovely room off reception ie red room where you can relax also.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AnitaG05
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was very much looking forward to a nights stay in this 4 star spa hotel, it was a little more expensive than our average hotel stay so I had higher expectations, naturally. They were not fulfilled and I was left feeling underwhelmed. The room was large and spacious, but the large window in the room was not clean and did not make a good first impression.

I went to run a bath and the plug wouldn't go in to the hole so I stood on it as I was in a rush to get ready, on doing this the plug came completely out of its fitting (those modern hotel bath fittings where the plug stays connected and just moves up or down). I then proceeded to pick up the metal plug and in doing this noticed the underneaath of the plug was covered in a brownish layer of soap scum/general dirt. I was horrified. There was also a short black hair on the side of the bath. (I don't have black hair). I didn't make a complaint, I should have but then I shouldn't have to.

There was no full length mirror and I had to stand to apply my make-up.

Soft drinks (Cola, Orange juice etc) were €2.95 for a small bottle which I find a little steep and spirits cost over €5 a measure.

On leaving, the receptionist signed us out and never asked if our stay was ok?!

The food was very poor, I have eaten nicer food on aeroplanes.

Positives:

The bed was comfortable.
The hotel itself had nice surroundings.
Breakfast was really nice with plenty of choice.

And the final positive: I won't be visiting again.

For those who do visit, I hope your experience is better than mine, I usually write pleasant reviews and don't usually complain online or otherwise, so apologies to the hotel but I'm sure being a chain of Raddison one customer lost will not make a difference....but those individual customers add up.

3  Thank DancingAtDawn
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Had a fabulous Sunday lunch which u could keep eating till u explode! A real treat, several options as starters, followed by soup, delicious carvery roast dinner and numerous dessert options! And the best of it all u can sample them all if u please!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank shellybobn
Reviewed January 19, 2013

They say faint praise is damming but while we had a good and enjoyable stay, our three nights here confirmed to us that we prefer Country House type hotels.
Situated a few miles outside Cavan town, the Farnham Estate Raddisson Blu is a modern hotel with inside and outdoor heated pools and aWellness Spa.
The facilities are excellent and apart form the usual treatments which are expensive everything else is free.
The mile long drive takes you through a parkland golf course and the Hotels' situation is a short walk from a lake.
Check in was seamless and the staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble.
Bedrooms are a good size and bathrooms have all a four star offers. We had a beautiful view from our full length of the room window. Although our room was situated at the extreme end of the hotel we felt we had exercised every time we walked to reception.
Breakfast is a serve yourself buffet and has most of what you would want. The modern extension of the old house is well done and they have integrated them together successfully.
We had a restful time and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves...but won't be back!
As I said it showed us we prefer the Mount Julliet type hotel, log fires and antiques. The sort of place where your Irish breakfast is cooked to order and the bacon isn't done four hours earlier in the oven and isnt like shoe leather.
It's the sort of place where the food is freshly prepared and your fish and chips consists of fresh fish. It's the sort of place where they don't put silver masking tape down on the floor to cover cracks and where your room is cleaned before 16.30.
To be fair the B and B price we got in Jan was outstanding and we really enjoyed ourselves but even if we had to pay a little more we would would go for a different type of hotel again.

Room Tip: Pat the extra 10 euro a night a get a woodland view from your bedroom.
2  Thank Pasty9
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for one night. We were very impressed with the place. the hotel is lovely and modern, we stayed in a business class room which was lovey. the Spa was really good. We had a few treatments each and we spent some time in the indoor/outdoor infinity pool- fabulous! We also tried the Water Mint Thermal Suite which was very pleasant! We had both luch and dinner in the bar and the restaurant and both were withut fault- the food was very good. At night the Cellar bar was hopping, a great setting with a local trad band playing. We'll be back at some point for a longer stay and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
#3 of 4 in Cavan
The Farnham Arms Hotel
Errigal Country House Hotel
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!