“excellent restaurant”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great little restaurant food is tasty and value for money, staff are busy so have no time to chat but everything else is great.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have visited here quite a few times for food and always been so happy with what I received. Not so much on my last visit. I went for the 3 course for 24 euro which includes a glass of wine - a great deal and the wine was decent too. The starter was lovely - brie and a dip - the dip was out of this world! It also came with an ok side salad. The main was the chicken dish as pictured. I wasn't asked if I wanted chips or potatoes but out came a chicken breast with very little sauce or taste, chips and the another bowl of the same salad I had just had for starter! Very disappointing! It was too late to ask for potatoes and veg at this stage so I had to eat the same salad twice and it wasn't the best salad I have ever eaten that I could even say I would eat it twice! The dessert was tasty, chocolate fondant that was supposed to be served with pistachio ice cream - it came with vanilla and no explanation! The girls were lovely who served us but the food let you down this time...The atmosphere/romance was ruined by a snob behind us talking in too loud a voice to her companion and an even louder voice when speaking on the phone - this is so off putting to other diners and I welcome signs in restaurants that say turn off your phone or at least do the decent thing and leave the dining area to talk! This was nothing to do with the restaurant but it certainly didn't encourage us to linger!

1  Thank Trulyhonestcavan
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Had a delicious lunch here. Food was fresh and tasty. Service was fast and friendly. They even gave me their wifi password so I could get some work finished. Will definitely return.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We ate there for lunch and all have the beef wrap which was tasty. Food was nice but I would not be rushing back there.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Passing through Cavan and stopped off at Dunnes Stores for supplies when we saw an offer for an Early Bird menu which for two courses for 20€ included a glass of wine! I thought this was too good to be true! However we weren't disappointed! The Big Apple Restaurant is hidden away at the back of The Black Horse Inn and it really is a gem find!
The food was lovely! I would highly recommend the prawn starter- not soggy at all as quoted in a previous review. My main was delicious and the plate was full! I couldn't of had dessert if I had tried. The wine given was good Chardonnay not the usual cheap plonk handed out on similar deals.
Very accommodating staff and child friendly. High chair brought over straightaway and a bread roll given to the toddler until food arrived.
Will definitely return to sample the A la carte menu!

2  Thank Jack583