“Love the open fires..”
Review of The K Club

The K Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We arrived on a crisp night tired after a trip to Kildare village to see the big open fire in the lobby.. Our room was lovely with high ceiling, very comfy beds and a great bath tub.. We had afternoon tea in the drawing room by a roaring fire and settled down to read for a few hours.. Reluctantly moved to get ready for dinner which was worth the effort... Dinner was lovely and the staff were very warm and friendly... We were back eating again for breakfast but hard to resist such a great selection.. It's a great hotel and you very much feel you are taking a little break from reality..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Edentate

Thank you for taking the to review your recent stay. I am delghted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The K Club again in the near future.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here for a conference (held in one of the golf clubhouses) which was as good as any, but the charm and understated luxury of the main hotel really won us over after a while. Bedroom very large with old-world country house furnishings. Large bathroom but with very limited enhancements ( bad shower over a plain bath. Lighting very poor and no makeup mirror ) which was the biggest drawback for me. The room itself was showing age in that the windows rattled, the heating had to be boosted with a plug-in radiator but there was a lovely feel to the place. Food fabulous. Grounds just breathtaking. And the public rooms of the hotel were understated Irish landed gentry-style furnised, for example highly polished old wooden floorboards etc but stacked with amazing pieces of art. Hotel could really do with a thorough upgrading of lighting, bathrooms, windows etc but aside from that, it felt special, and you do feel special to be there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Momathon

Many thanks for your recent review of The K Club.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again. I have taken your comments on board in relation to the room as we are constantly striving for improvment.

I hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was my third time staying at the K Club. I absolutely love it there and will be going back again in February. Visually, the place is stunning and decorated beautifully. In my opinion, the best thing about the K Club is the staff. All the staff are lovely; they are very welcoming and make you feel very special. Everyone there cannot do enough for you.

I went to the K Club for a one night stay with my mum. We were put in a superior room on the ground floor in the hotel. Although the room was on the ground floor near the reception and the bar, you couldn't hear anything once the bedroom door was closed. Our bedroom was beautiful and had a lot of lovely little extras; my favourite was the orange chocolate cookies.

On the day we arrived we had lunch. The portion sizes were very generous and reasonably priced. After lunch, my mum and I went to the spa. The spa there is wonderful and very relaxing. The changing rooms are clean and quite spacious. Their therapists are extremely talented, I couldn't praise them enough. I would highly recommend visiting the spa if you are going to stay in the hotel.

Dinner that night in the River Room restaurant certainly did not disappoint. The chef is clearly very talented; we were served food that looked like a work of art on the plate and which was more importantly delicious. The staff in the restaurant were very attentive without being intrusive. It was 5 star service. The wine list is varied and extensive. As my mum wasn't drinking I ordered a few glasses of their house white which I would highly recommend.

I am looking forward to returning there. I cannot recommend this place enough. The place can be expensive, but it is well worth it, especially if you are treating a loved one.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear 737Michelle

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Positives:
Set in beautiful landscape grounds.
A building full of character, antiques, paintings and history.
Lovely friendly staff.
Thankfully not pretentious like other hotels.
Lovely big bedrooms
Nice bathrooms
Great pool/spa area & gym.
Beautiful breakfast.
Great dinner.
Amazing golf course.

Room for improvement:
Parts of the front building could do with a repaint as the paintwork is chipped in parts(it is November so the weather will have affected the paint- saying that, most of it is in good condition)
Windows in the River restaurant could be cleaned better.
If you are facing the hotel, and if your bedroom is on the right hand towards the end- be prepared for traffic noise from cars & vans coming and going- quite a bit of traffic came and went on the Fri & Sat. There is also a service stair well nearby which amplifies the sound somewhat. On Saturday morning, a van kept their engine running at 8am and woke us- didnt drive away until 20mins later.
An elevator was a few rooms away and we could hear it going up and down even in our bedroom.
There is a lovely river view on the 2nd floor. However, avoid rooms near this area as the air conditioning machine is so so loud. When we walked around the garden area nearby, you could still hear generators at some distance.
Your bedding is made up with a woolen blanket and not a duvet. This may not be a problem for most people as the room has air temperature controls. However, we like to sleep in a cool ish room and the blankets dont keep the heat during the night. Would be good to have a duvet option.

Overall, a lovely hotel in a amazing part of Ireland. Definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near elevator/air conditioning machines. If room towards end of hotel on right side, be...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear StaysInHotelsAlot

Many thanks for your recent review on The K Club. That you for your kind comments regarding all the positive aspects of your stay.

Thank you for your other comments as we continuously strive for improvement and these are points that the whole team will take on board.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The K Club again in the near future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed as part of the £149 deal from Travel Zoo. Staff were lovely,very friendly and warm. The food was amazing both in the River Room for our evening meal and the breakfast, 5 star all the way. The only negative was our waiter for our evening meal, very slow and inattentive. Other waiting staff were excellent, maybe we were unfortunate or perhaps this staff member had just started, although we did hear another couple saying the service was unacceptable. Having said this, I long to return already, but will have to wait for another deal couldn't afford it otherwise.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Nic7047

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I pleases that you enjoyed your stay overall. I am disappointed that you found the service to be slow, and the waiter to be inattentive. Rest assured this will be followed up, I have passed your comments on to our Restaurant Manager.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not to distant future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

5 star service, excellent meals (the chef even gave me one of his recipes!), amazing setting and all round fantastic hospitality. What a treat!!!
The staff are extremely helpful and attentive, I certainly hope to make it back.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear CraigB

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I hope that you enjoyed trying out the recipes at home!

I look forward to seeing you back at The K Club again in the near future.

Kinds Regards

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Spent a couple of nights here on an offer and had a free upgrade to a suite. Very nice - large room, settee, armchairs, flatscreen, Bose music centre and a large bathroom. Dined in the River Room on first night and we were very well treated. While I don't understand why an already expensive 63 euro set menu has extra charges for the prawn starter and fillet steak I can say that the standard was very high. I also liked the cheese board of Irish products and herself indulged in the chocolate cake! Had a massage as well. She enjoyed her's and I didn't notice any difference after my 55 minutes - I must have been too relaxed already. Great grounds for walking. Some small things did spoil the overall experience though - loose top on the hot water tap, light bulb gone in chandelier, hair in omelette instead of the ham which wasn't to be found, map of the grounds which was no help at all, and the taxi ordered at 5.30 for 7.30 which was "running late". Overall, well worth a visit if you can get a deal.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JTsDad

Dear JTsDAD

Many thanks for your kind review of your recent stay.

In relation to your negative experience, we will work on the points you have risen to ensure it doesn't happen again as we pride ourselves both in our customer service and our hotel.

I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
The Keadeen Hotel
The Keadeen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newbridge

Been to The K Club? Share your experiences!