“An incredible experience, even after years of experience”
Review of The K Club

The K Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I frequent the K Club on a regular basis and even now, after years of lunches, dinners, corporate events etc, I have never been disappointed. It is truly an incredible experience, one which cannot be matched elsewhere in Ireland. The staff have always bent over backwards to grant even the most awkward of requests, are always well-presented, professional and polite and the food is utterly delicious. This observation is across the board, from Legends Restaurant to the Main hotel. As for the comparison the previous review makes with Carton House and the Ritz Carlton- both of these properties are modern monstrosities and could not be even held in the same light. I would not consider the carpets and decor to be faded but if they are not sparkling and straight out of an IKEA catalogue, it is most likely due to the fact that they are priceless antiques. I could not recommend the K Club highly enough and any friend or family member I have ever introduced to it is in absolute agreement. We have never been disappointed. Go and see for yourself.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

The K Club is not the top notch luxury hotel suggested by the price. It is not in the same league as hotels such as the ritz Carlton or even carton house. Generally it is in need of a re - furb. Carpets and wallpaper are worn and in some areas patched. The decor is faded and jaded and our room, a suite, smelled musty and had seen better days. Pre ordered champagne was not in the room on arrival. There were particular issues with the bathroom, which the management provided vouchers for use on a future stay as compensation. The spa and gym again have seen better days and were not as clean as I would expect eg towels, cups and water on the floor, tartar on the water fountains. Positives include the grounds, most of the staff are very friendly and the small bar is cool and good fun. The Thai restaurant is pretty lacking in atmosphere but the food is fine. Won't be going back even to use the vouchers.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed on an overnight package last week and from beginning to end it was wonderful. Very friendly at check-in, we had a superior room which was gorgeous with a little balcony overlooking the front garden and golf practice area. Lovely comfy bathrobes and everything you could want in the room. We had dinner in the River Room restaurant and I could only compare it to food I have seen on Masterchef, it was stunning. Excellent friendly service from beginning to end. We had drinks afterwards in The Crop Bar and John there was very friendly, gave us cards and information re the golf we had lined up the next day, and chatted to us and made us feel very welcome. Breakfast was great the next morning, loads of choice, I had pancakes and they were fab. It was a beautiful visit and I look forward to going back there, a stunning hotel with excellent staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear ShivKi,

Thank you for taking the time to review The K Club on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us & very much appreciate your lovely comments about our staff & service which I will be sure to pass on.

We work very hard as a team here at The K Club to ensure that every guest experiences the 5 star treatment!

I look forward to welcoming you back to The K Club again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

Yours Sincerely,

Audrey Brophy

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We dined in the Legends Bar one Friday night as we live quite near here and always wanted to visit the hotel. However, it was a very disappointing experience. The food was only average [with one of the courses arriving out late] but the service was really bad. Everytime we wanted something [another drink, coffee, bill] - I had to go up to the bar to order as it was impossible to get anyone's attention. I mentioned all of this to the guy behind the bar when I was paying the bill. As a courtesy he didn't charge me for the food that arrived later and he took my number and assured me the Manager would ring me the next day - 2 weeks later and I'm still waiting on the call :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dc_irl
TheKClub, Food & Beverage Manager at The K Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear dc_irl,

I was sorry to hear you did not receive the five star experience that you should have received in The Legends Bar and restaurant that so many others that visit with us in The Legends have enjoyed.

All of our guests are important to us but we do try to extend that even further with the local community. I am happy to hear that the bar person did try and amend this for you on the night but I’m sorry to say that I haven’t received your contact details. If you would be so kind as to contact me through 01 6017200 or david.russell@kclub.ie and I will call you back to speak to you about your evening and hopefully restore the faith in the warmth and high standards that we have set ourselves here for the local community and our guests to enjoy.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to The K Club to restore your faith!
Kindest Regards,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is lovely, classic and grand. Reception people were very helpful and did everything to make our stay perfect.
We had a Superior Room that was spotless and spacious, overlooking the gardens and the river. We had dinner at the hotel's restaurant the first night and at the golf club the second night, a shuttle bus takes you to the later. Both good but I personally preferred the choice at the hotel's restaurant. An impressive choice for breakfast with a cold buffet and cooked breakfast on order.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BaronRed,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received our wonderful 5 star service throughout your stay! We do work very hard as a team to ensure that every aspect of The K Club offers the very best for our guests.

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to welcome you back to The K Club again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

Yours Sincerely,

Audrey Brophy

Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Staying 2 nights with a group of friends - celebrating birthdays and a wedding anniversary, we couldn't have had a more relaxing enjoyable time.

The building is very special and you really do feel you are stepping back in time - people have moaned that this isn't right and that needs updating - yes there were a few marks on some furniture and the curtains above the bed were a tad dusty but honestly if that is what you take away from here you really don't deserve to have visited.

It was serene and charming stately and weirdly homely all at once.
The staff are very lively lovely people - concierge and reception staff particularly good to us.

Our partners thoroughly enjoyed their golf and we enjoyed a bit of TLC
Enjoying a few drinks in the drawing room after walking the countryside and enjoying the spa - I couldn't have felt any more relaxed.

I hope to return someday until then - Well done to everyone working there & the owners for retaining traditional irish values of good food , friendship and comfort - and of course your special taste of historic charm!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here on business and the hotel is lovely, service faultless and the spa is nice and modern.
The bathroom was very tired and old fashioned (80's style bathroom suite).
It could do with a revamp.

• Stayed: February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
The Keadeen Hotel
The Keadeen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newbridge

Been to The K Club? Share your experiences!