“Excellent”
Review of The K Club

The K Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed during Halloween half term with my husband and two children for two nights. Absolutely overwhelmed by the grounds as soon as we entered the gates from the main road. The hotel is beautiful and the interiors stay true to the style of the building. The staff were outstanding, polite and helpful. The hotel and room felt incredible tranquil and it was only at breakfast that we realised that the hotel must be near to full. We stayed on the bottom floor with the two children in the adjacent room. Each had a wonderful private terrace over looking one of the holes on the golf coarse (my husband most impressed). My husband and 13 year old son played a round on each of the golf courses and thought they were both fantastic and that the pro that they dealt with was very friendly and helpful. We dinned in the drawing room for lunch and one of the golf clubs for the first evening both lovely. On the second night myself and my husband had dinner in the main restaurant (included in the package) while the children had room service. My husband was very impressed with his meal but sadly I was not well and was unable to eat most of my main course. The restaurant staff wanted to take it off the bill but I explained that it was part of the package and anyway not their fault as I was feeling unwell (nothing to do with the food). They insisted on doing something to compensate and sent up some beautiful handmade chocolates to my childrens' room which they absolutely loved. I really felt this was a truly unnecessary but lovely gesture and so did my children! I cannot wait to return to the K club in the near future and know it shouldn't be too difficult to convince my husband and children.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of everybody here, for your very kind comments about your Halloween trip to The K Club. It makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did and thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at The K Club, it's highly appreciated by the team here.

I'm sorry to hear you were unwell, hopefully during future stays you can fully enjoy your meal in The River Room Restaurant but I am delighted your children enjoyed the handmade chocolates!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The K Club again.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrived at the hotel early but within 15 mins were given the key to our room. A nice surprise. Our room was lovely especially the bathroom that was handpainted and lovely and warm. We ate in the Riverside room and really enjoyed our meal especially the lovely chocolates/ice pops served with our tea. We also ate in the bar at the Smurfit clubhouse and once again thoroughly enjoyed our very tasty meal. Breakfast was great and overall we found the service in the hotel very good especially Stephen who served us afternoon tea. Spa was also good - lovely pool and outside hot tub - just what the doctor ordered! We also enjoyed a nice walk round the grounds and golf course. Would highly recommend the hotel. We visited the Carton Hotel on our way home but much preferred the K Club.

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Dawn267,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The K Club on Trip Advisor. I am especially delighted to hear that you were happy with the service as we work very hard as a team here at The K Club to provide a 5 star service to all our guests.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The K Club again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We enjoyed two days at The K Club recently - it was bought on a "deal" - its an expensive place to stay if one had to pay the full price. We were made to feel really welcome by the front of house staff - shown to our room where everything was explained i.e. the workings..how to turn the heating up/down, how to work the TV..all the nice little touches - nothing was too much trouble for them. The temperature in the bedroom was way too high but the controls sorted that out.

We decided to eat at the golf club which is a short walk in the grounds of the hotel - boy was it hot in there - we sat as far away from the fire as possible but the heat was a killer. I ordered steak "medium rare" - it came from the kitcheh "rare" - my husbands meal was very nice. I could have sent my steak back but the thought of waiting in the heat for the steak to be cooked properly was something I did not even consider..the onion rings were not cooked either. So a bit disappointing.

Breakfast was only fair on the first morning, coffee was luke warm and the service not great. However on the second morning everything was first class as one would expect it to be.

Although I have given a few downsides to our stay I would love a return visit - and will watch out for another "deal" - its such an elegant place to stay, beds so comfortable and wide (7ft), every comfort is there to enjoy. I would say "go for it" - we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear IrelandBobo,

Many thanks for your review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience & feedback with us. We are delighted to hear that in general you really enjoyed your stay with us at The K Club, but disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with your dinner & Breakfast.

I have passed your comments on to the team here in the hotel to ensure that we can improve on our service and product offering.

Hopefully I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The K Club again.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed on a Sunday night. Room was lovely and a great breakfast. However the meal in the Palmer Clubhouse restaurant was very poor! A breast of chicken stuffed with vegetables and hard boiled egg was not appetising.

Room Tip: Don't eat in the Palmer restaurant
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I were in Ireland and spent one night at this hotel. We liked the size of the rooms but thought the bed was very avergage, only 2 pillows on the bed, linens were not that luxurious & were very old school blanket, maybe in keeping with the history of the building. Bathroom was nice for an old property. We really liked the Turk Bar in the main house. We were unimpressed by the food we had both at the golf club and for dinner in the main restaurant. The later was expensive and everything was soaked in butter. I thought it was very 1980s cooking. Service was good. Breakfast was lovely there the next morning.
I hated that you had to leave the building to go to the spa - it was freezing cold out and of course you have to get dressed to walk back to your room.
I wouldn't go back particularly for the price. I'd recommened other places in Ireland over this but like anything price had a lot to do with it. We spent well over Eur600 for one night at this hotel (room, dinner and a spa treatment) - I think that's nuts.. I guess I've been spoiled staying in places like Kiawah Island.. and somewhere like the K Club is only like it due to golf! Maybe its better to stay there in summer?! I don't know but I wont be rushing back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First time staying in the k... Very enjoyable and top class service.. Great staff, friendly and warm..well kept beautiful grounds.. Rooms were comfortable and luxurious.. Will definitely return...big thanks to all the staff and management..

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have just returned from 2 nights in the K Club.It was very quiet as there were very few people staying there.The main restaurant was closed for refurbishment so we ate in the Legends Clubhouse. Food was excellent but a little bit expensive.Bedroom was large with very large and comfortable bed.Staff were very attentive and pleasant.all in all a very relaxing and enjoyable break.

1  Thank stanley h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
The Keadeen Hotel
The Keadeen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newbridge

Been to The K Club? Share your experiences!