We stayed in the K Club for two nights with a very good value offer from Travelzoo. Although the hotel could do with some freshening up in places it truly was a slice of relaxing heaven. It could be described as vintage 5 star with some of its older furnishings and a few marks on carpets here and there but in some ways this added to the charm. I only have a couple of minor criticisms which I'll get out of the way first before indulging in the praise. The hotel is very very expensive if you don't get it on an offer like the one we got on Travelzoo - which included 60 euro credit for dinner or a treatment. Without that we would have found it extremely punishing on the wallet - especially for dinner. I've stayed in a number of 5 star hotels and one of my favorite bits is the luxury products in the changing rooms of the pool/spa (nice shampoo, conditioner and moisturisers etc) in the K club showers and changing rooms however the soap and shower gels were reminiscent of fairy liquid! I had to run back to the room to use my own prodcuts each time after the pool. That is where the criticisms end though because it was an absolutely fantastic stay and we had a deluxe room which was much more like a huge luxurious suite! It had his and hers sinks in a massive bathroom, a lounge area, walk in wardrobe and bureau etc. The food was superb especially the breakfast. The atmosphere was so relaxed you felt like you could sit for hours sampling the huge range of the freshest breakfast food - from fruit selection, to eggs cooked to order, full irish breakfast, cereals, cheeses, breads, fruit juices etc and much much more. We ate the in the bar both nights as opposed to the restaurants as the restaurant prices were very expensive but the bar food was as good as you would get in most restaurants and was very reasonably priced. The spa area and gym were superb with a body temperature pool, jacuzzi and outdoor hotub - heaven! The steam room and saunas are split into male and female and are located inside the changing rooms - that's not a personal preference of mine I much prefer if they're located out with the rest of the pool facilities and can be enjoyed by couples at the same time. The hotel was only a short distance (about 20 minutes) outside of Dublin so very accessible and located on the most fabulous grounds. There are bikes available out the front to take and explore the grounds - we did this and had a great time taking in some of the wonderful views around the grounds. Finally to the staff who were incredibly helpful - a particular mention to Mairead who went above and beyond to ensure we were 100% happy and comfortable at all times. We left the K Club feeling completely pampered and relaxed - the room was the highlight but everything else was great too. If I'm honest I wouldn't pay the normal prices for a stay at the K Club but if an offer comes up again like the one on Travelzoo I recommend snatching it up fast - you wont be disappointed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The K Club, Ireland's First AA 5 Red Star Hotel, is located in the heart of the idyllic Irish countryside on the banks of the River Liffey in Straffan, Co.Kildare This long standing member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts offers the very best of pampering, leisure and golf facilities and is only 30 minutes from Dublin. Built in 1832, on the banks of the River Liffey, the original house was modelled on a French Chateau and still retains many of its original architectural features, art work and antiques. It opened as a luxury hotel in 1991 and was Ireland's first AA Five Red Star Property. To this day it continues to deliver the very highest levels of service and standards in terms of its food and beverage offerings, golf, leisure and spa treatments. The mature estate covers an impressive 550 acres and also features a stunning Victorian walled garden and fishing on the River Liffey which runs through the resort. The resident ghillees offer fly fishing on the river and horse riding and clay pigeon shooting are also available along with a range of different country pursuits. The K Club is home to two Championship Golf Courses- The Palmer Ryder Cup Course and the Palmer Designed Smurfit Course. Hailed among the world's finest golf resorts, The K Club was the chosen venue for the 2006 Ryder Cup and host to the European Open from 1995 to 2007. The K Spa, at The K Club, offers a wide variety of treatments for both men and women. The K Spa is an oasis of calm. The minimalist and contemporary decor sets the scene for pure indulgence and mind and body relaxation. The K Spa also features a secluded outdoor hot tub, aromatic herb garden, seven luxurious treatment rooms, two private suites, a Hamam, a Hydrobath, a Vichey Shower and an exotic Rasul Chamber. One of the spa products used at the spa includes, Voya which is made from organically certified seaweed, hand picked from the west coast of Ireland. A range of award winning dining facilities are available to choose from and include both fine dining and informal options. Our Accommodation is sumptuous and truly luxurious, each bedroom has been individually designed, no two rooms are alike and feature original paintings and antiques, meanwhile the bathrooms incorporate hand painted murals. Culture enthusiasts can enjoy regular art talks and tours of The K Clubs extensive private art and antiques collection with the resident art expert. The K Club is home to many important Irish works and even has a room dedicated to the Irish Expressionist painter, J. B Yeats. The Yeats Room features many of Yeats' important paintings and is a riot of colour and texture. Wine cellar tours are also available with our resident sommelier. Families are well catered for and children will love the kids club which offers arts and crafts, nature walks and games. Children will also enjoy using the swimming pool and junior golf clinics which run during the summer. A baby sitting service is also available upon request. The K Club is the ideal country venue for business and leisure travellers, families, weddings and honey mooners, incentive groups, executive retreats and of course, golfers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The K Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The k Club Hotel Straffan
- k Hotel Straffan
- The K Club Ireland/Straffan