“over priced”
Review of Barberstown Castle

Barberstown Castle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Reviewed August 24, 2007

Just back from a wedding there, fab location and venue but some seriously rude staff. Extremely expensive for the standard of accomodation we recieved - 230 euros for a extremely noisey room. Bar closed to residents at 2.30am, when the wedding party was in full swing!! A ridiculous charge of 17.50 euros per person to have breakfast delivered to our room. Ridiculous breakfast time 6-9.45am. Snooty reception staff. Wouldn't recommend it for a wedding at all.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank gbriody

Reviewed April 13, 2007

We held our wedding reception at Barberstown Castle in February 2007 and we were absolutely delighted with the venue and its staff. The banquet hall looked splendid with candles and log fires and the space felt just right for around 180 guests - an intimate feel despite the numbers. The food was of a very high standard, despite the volume involved! The harpist recommended by the hotel was a particular high point.

The hotel was taken up entirely by wedding guests on the night of the wedding and all seemed satisfied. The rooms were clean, well furnished and comfortable.

The entire staff at Barberstown went out of their way to ensure that things ran smoothly. Last minute changes of plan posed no obstacle, and the venue was reliable, helpful and straight forward during our preparations. Prices for our event were transparent and seemed better value than many lesser venues. For those having a wedding reception at Barberstown, we would highly recommend staying on another night to wind down and perhaps dine with family in the old castle keep. Afternoon tea a mile away at the K Club is also highly recommended.

No hesitation in recommending Barberstown to others planning their wedding - particularly away from the height of summer.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ianandsal
Reviewed March 18, 2007

From the moment we entered we knew Barberstown was somewhere special. My boyfriend booked a 4 postered bedroom for my birthday and I was not disappointed. Indeed, I have now developped a taste for the luxury. The bathroom was stunning, the most beautiful sink and toilet bowl ever! My favourite L'Occitaine products lined the shelf. If I had any complaint, it would be the bar. My boyfriends pint was barely drinkable(not much demand for draft heineken!!) but this was a minor quibble. the 5 course meal was delicious and extensive. Ask to dine in the castle dining room..impressive heads of deer etc. The staff were most professional and friendly, especially Paul, who regaled us with tales of weddings etc. It seems the ideal location for a wedding..indeed, its practically booked out for 2007. I highly recommend this hotel for a romantic break

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline M
Reviewed November 5, 2006

When I was told we had been booked into Barberstown Castle for a wedding I went along with the idea with some trepidation especially having read some of the comments on Trip Advisor. However although the room was expensive (250 Euros) some of the critisisms weren't justified. The rooms were tasefully decorated in the style of a period property and to a high standard. There were bathrobes supplied and good quality toiletries in the bathroom. No smoking signs were in the rooms that we used, although there wasn't any indication you would be fined if you smoked in the room without reading the literature.

On the negative side for the price paid far more emphasis should have been given to customer satisfaction. There was no mini bar or safe in the room. Breakfast times finished at 9.45am on a weekend which is pretty unaccommodating seeing as most people are up till 3am from the wedding party the night before. The breakfast although standard in content was excellent quality.

All in all a bit more effort in accommodating the guests and not the staff would have made our stay Great rather than just OK.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank Genath
Reviewed October 24, 2006

My boyfriend surprised me with a romantic weekend at Barberstown. We have never been so impressed! We checked in early Friday and a lovely man brought us to our room and gave us great advice on where to visit in the area. The room was the most fabulous room I have ever spent a night in. Not only was the 4 Poster bed gorgeous, but there was Champagne and chocolates waiting for us in the room!

I would highly suggest trying the afternoon tea in the conservatory area. Not only was it a lovely atmosphere but we were so stuffed we nearly skipped dinner. On the receptionists advice we spent Saturday in the Japanese Gardens and discovered the new designer shopping outlet at Kildare Village (although I will have to do my shopping at another time).

We dined in the restaurant on both nights because we were so impressed with the food! The staff were lovely especially the man who looked after us (I think his name is Paul). He, and the piano player, made sure our nights were really romantic.

The castle was a great place for a weekend away and I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sibby2
A TripAdvisor Member
Leinster
Reviewed June 8, 2006

Hi all,

I would just like to share my experience at Barberstown Castle with everyone.

First of all, I must say that from the outside it is magnificent however I was not too impressed with the "standard features" that one would expect from a hotel of this supposed standard. You cannot but any cigarettes, there were no tea/coffee making facilities available in the rooms. The residents bar closed at 2:30 and there were no drinks(alcohol or soft drinks) available after that. There was NO mini-bar available either!!.
NEED I GO ON??
The full breakfast was shut right on time "at 9:45" on a Sunday morning(!!), anyone who was late got a continental breakfast. The staff were removing it double quick, which made me feel very uncomfortable while trying to get a banana and apple off the table. And the amazing thing is we were charged €220 for this!! I call my experience a "disaster" and would not recommend Barberstown Castle to anyone!!

Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2006

I can highly recommend the restaurant at Barberstown.
The food was outstanding (dinner and breakfast!)

For a "Blue book" hotel, I have to say I found the accommodation a little disappointing.
Nonetheless, it didn't spoil our stay, and I'd go back for the food alone.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank timandjoy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
The K Club
#2 of 5 in Naas
Lawlors Hotel
Lawlors Hotel
#1 of 5 in Naas

Been to Barberstown Castle? Share your experiences!