“Great hotel with great location!”

Station House Hotel Letterkenny
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Arlington, Virginia
“Great hotel with great location!”
Reviewed January 2, 2007

At first when my husband said "the Ramada looks nice" I had to laugh a bit. Boy was I wrong! This hotel is part of Ramada's new "Encore" line of hotels. It appears to be a new brand of design hotel with an affordable price.

The rooms had wood floors and were quite spacious. The bed was comfortable and had a clean white duvet covering it - not one of those nasty, never-washed, floral bedspreads that try to hide the dirt. This was a big bonus for me. The decor was modern with clean lines.

The bathroom had a great walk-in shower and a design-style sink that was visually appealing.

We ended up eating dinner at the hotel because after walking up and down the main street of the town we discovered that the meal prices were actually more affordable at the Ramada (short of getting a hamburger somewhere). The food was modern Irish - for example, I had sausage and mash that had stacked crisped onions that added a nice texture and visual touch. It was also one of the few places we could find that had a decent selection of more traditional food.

The hotel is right around the corner from the start of the main drag through town where all the great pubs are located. Parking was free and in a private lot behind the hotel.

Only gripe would be that breakfast wasn't included and was 6.50 euro for very basic continental fare. Warm breakfasts started at 10 euro. On Sunday mornings, however, this is about the only place you'll be able to eat early - none of the cafes were open then.

• Liked — Clean, affordable, design hotel with great location.
  • Disliked — Uninteresting overpriced breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — The hotel's own website had cheaper rates than any of the other booking engines.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank soleil17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Kenmore, Washington
Reviewed November 24, 2006

The hotel had recently opened when we were there to attend the Fleadh Cheoil, and we booked our room before it opened (hoping the opening would not be delayed). It is very modern and the room was very nice. It was our 2nd night's stay in Ireland. We enjoyed the stay very much. The staff were friendly and accommodating, in spite of the fact that the place was jammed by Fleadh attendees. Sessions were going on all the time, and we especially enjoyed the young people playing. The food was good in the restaurant, although we didn't eat there much.

We enjoyed Letterkenny and the area, but we had trouble getting around because of the other 150,000 people enjoying it. We were also new to driving in Ireland and were terrified much of the time we spend in our car! I would love to go back to the area now that I am more comfortable driving and see more of it.

• Liked — Clean and modern
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
county down
Reviewed November 23, 2006

great hotel - open welcoming foyer, easy to check in and relaxing atmosphere in bar and dining area. easy access to stairs and lifts and beautifully designed, modern rooms and ensuites. the friendliest of staff and great location for a lot of the local bars and clubs.
highly recommended if you are staying in the town of letterkenny.

Stayed November 2006
Leinster
Reviewed November 8, 2006

The Ramada Encore Letterkenny is a recently built hotel at the bottom end of Main Street in Letterkenny. The rooms are a good size, nice with flat screen plasma television etc. The staff are friendly especially on check in. The bar did not seem busy on the one night midweek when I stayed. The Breakfast appeared to be Continental Buffet but after I had picket some items I discovered I could have ordered a cooked breakfast.
If staying in the Encore and going on a bit of a PubCrawl i suggest that you walk up to the top end of Main Street to start
then you will be walking down hill as you try the pubs on the way back to the Encore.
Only problem I thought the room could have been Hotter.

There is also a nice new hotel at the top end of Main street called Gallaghers which has all new rooms.

• Liked — Modern Rooms
  • Disliked — Could have been warmer I Like Them Really Hot
  • Tips/Secrets — Book at front Desk ask for Best Rate
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed October 16, 2006

This is a brand new hotel and the facilities are clean, new and well maintained. The rooms are pleasant and a good size. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful and the dinner menu in the restaurant is outstanding. We ate there several times and were never disappointed. Breakfast is basic. The restaurant serving staff is obviously new and the service is uneven. The hotel is in the center of town near shopping and restaurants and bars. there is car parking but curiously, no entrance to the hotel from the parking lot. You need to walk around the corner with luggage to the entrance. We were disappointed with the town-very crowded with traffic with very little charm. We were there as tourists and spent no time in the town. Would probably stay in a different town if we had to do over. But the hotel is a find!

• Liked — Clean pleasant rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid evening rush hour when arriving at hotel
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Just back from 3 day sin Letterkenny - booked before the hotel opened, so was worried after reading the first review. We were treated royally, and we used the Depot a fair bit as we didn't need to venture out and we enjoyed the service. Menu has enough to keep us (2 adults, 11 & 4year old) happy, Bar maybe a bit too hip, and music possibly on the loud side - we didn't see too many 'elderly' guests when we were there. We paid €79 for a family room on two of the nights, and €89 on the Saturday, so we were happy with the size and design of room - shower is great.

• Liked — The rates
  • Disliked — No leisure centre
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early - rates/availability change
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank OngarLodge
donegal
Reviewed August 6, 2006

I have just come back from the Ramada Encore hotel in Letterkenny. The Hotel is beautiful and the decor very tasteful. The bar is large and open planned.
However, the service is absymal. I waited at a table for five minutes and was not approached once. I attempted to gain the staff's attention by getting a menu myself. This proved to be a fruitless exercise as no-one came near me. As I was sitting at a high table I moved to a table more appropiate for dining. Alas, all was in vain. All that happened was that I was ignored in a new location. After having been on the premises for ten minutes without being served I took my leave. People who entered after me were served whilst I was not. I was respectfully dressed and not under the influence. The only reasons that I can think of for being ignored are as follows. The Staff have not divided the floor up properly and have left some tables unnattended. If so this is bad management. The staff may not be properly trained or experienced. As this is a new hotel that is not unexpected. However the floor manager should have at least broken the dining area down into managable blocks. My six foot two presence may have also been a factor. I did see a few staff look in my direction but then head in another. They seemed much happier looking after the elderly couples who seemed to predominate at lunchtime. So if you are on your own and male with a large stature avoid the place as it seems you will not get served.

12 Thank waylander
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterkenny
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
#6 of 12 in Letterkenny
Mulroy Woods Hotel
Mulroy Woods Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford

Been to Station House Hotel Letterkenny? Share your experiences!