“Very Satisfied customer”

Station House Hotel Letterkenny
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Very impressed with this hotel,we got a great rate for a one night stay,hotel was clean,friendly staff,spacious well equiped room,fantastic bed in a quiet room,slept really well,excellent location for shopping or socialising in letterkenny,I will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Irelandbroc

Reviewed December 12, 2011

I know, I know, I dont award five stars easily, but bear with me and I will explain how the Hotel earned it's stars...

For all my travels over the World, one part of Ireland I had never been to was Co. Donegal.
It wasnt planned to be this way, it was just the way life turned out. Until now.

I was invited up to Letterkenny by a friend who lives in Donegal, and am I glad that I did!

Not having a clue where to stay, I asked what would be a good place to stay, and she recommended I check out The Station House Hotel.

Naturally, I also checked out my trusty Tripadvisor too, and was impressed at the reviews, so took the plunge, and booked.

On arrival, it seemed pretty unremarkable appearance wise, a large, modern early noughties building.

I checked in, and the the staff were efficient and helpful on the evening shift.
Reception was warm and welcoming, and the public area was very clean and festive. Like!

Upon entering my room, I was very pleased at how modern and very clean that it was for the price. The only downside was the apparent lack of an Ironing Board and Iron as part of the
wardrobe set. Small quibble I know, but you take it for granted everywhere that it is part of the room these days! Nevertheless, when I brought it to the attention of the hotel staff, the necessary iron and board appeared very quickly indeed. Impressive!!!

Another little quibble was the serving of a glass of beer in a small rum and cola glass, which I brought to the attention of the bar-tender. Apparently it is the custom up here in Donegal, so
took it as normal.

I had a very restful night's sleep, and as Letterkenny is essentially a Party Town (think Galway, but on steriods!!!) a good nights rest is assured after the wild partying you may get up to!

Skipped Breakfast, as I had a late lie in, and got Lunch instead, which was excellent value for a four course meal (€18.50). Check out was superb, and the Manager was most accomodating and eager to improve the Customer experience. He genuinely meant it!

Marking this Hotel was hard, as whilst it was not perfect, it was obvious it was under new management, and the staff were working hard to improve the Hotel. With such sustained effort and the obvious diligent and pleasant staff, and the friendly environment, when the sum of it's parts was added up, I have no hesitation in awarding top marks.

This is a Hotel on the up and up, and for superb value, it is highly recommended.

A must stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Gerard H
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I bought a one night stay at the Station House Hotel in Letterkenny for my wife and I as Groupon deal way back in April for just £79. The deal included complimentary tea or coffee and biscuits on arrival, a choice of main course and dessert platter plus glass of red or white wine and an in house movie. We booked it for Saturday 26th November and when we arrived we were very happy that the hotel had a central location - just a walk around the corner and you’re at the lower end of Letterkenny town.

The receptionist was very helpful and explained everything we needed to know about our stay in a clear and friendly manner. We were very impressed by the style of the room which had a contemporary feel and lots of soft lighting. The shower room, although small, was also very modern with its mirrors and green frosted glass. I would think all this glass would be a nightmare to clean but it was absolutely spotless – not a watermark anywhere.

The interactive TV, which incidentally displayed a welcome message for us on our arrival, was very impressive. We could select from normal TV channels, music, internet and movies either by using the remote control or remote keyboard. The bed had soft fresh sheets and was one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept on in a hotel.

To be honest the Groupon set menu was very limited in choice (turkey and ham, breaded plaice or vegetarian) but we were allowed €15 each if we wanted to choose from the Al a cart or Table d'hôte menus. A good size glass of wine was included as part of the Groupon package. We decided to select from the Table d'hôte menu which although wasn’t overly exciting, it did have some nice wholesome dishes. My wife and I both had the prawn starter in a filo basket which was delicious followed by an 8oz Herefordshire sirloin with homemade chips, veg and a blue cheese sauce and a nice dessert and coffee to finish. We really couldn’t fault the food or the quick, friendly service.

Breakfast was self service which consisted of a full Irish. There was also bread, fruit, croissants and a limited variety of cereals available.

The only 'minor' negative I can comment on was the muffled noise in our room from the singer in the bar below. It was quite noticeable even though we were watching a movie on the TV with the sound turned up. We were in room 129 and it is probable this room is situated over the bar. But hey, this was a Saturday night and the hotel is more than entitled to bring in entertainment for its customers and the music stopped at 12 am so we can't really complain. We just pulled the two-seater closer to the TV and that was the problem solved – well almost.

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Station House Hotel. The hotel was clean and all of the staff we encountered where very friendly. Even when we were carrying our baggage through the bar to get to the car park two of the girls working behind the bar took the time to say goodbye to us. I can highly recommend this hotel and we would have no hesitation in staying here again.

1  Thank Wildtracker
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We went on the Groupon deal to this hotel. From the time we arrived in reception, we found the staff nothing but friendly & helpful. The girl who checked us in was very good with all the vouchers for the various parts of the deal, explaining everything, booked our dinner table there & then - which was good because they were booked out later. We chose to go for the Dinner menu which was very good - my steak was really great and both the prawn starter and the deserts were fab. We had a €15 allowance from the menu from the groupon offer so we had to top it up by €10 but we felt it was well worth it. Busy place with a great atmosphere. Great buzz for a hotel bar. There was live music there that Sat night - which wasn't exactly to my taste but made for a lively spot.
The room was very nice, and I liked the wet room -bathroom. Although they said the wi-fi was wired and provided the wires etc I picked up the wi-fi from the bar no problem.
Breakfast was very good, with good choice and a constant flow of fresh food being laid out. I asked for a softly fried egg , and was met with a friendly and courteous response.
Highly recomend.

1  Thank demented
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I took my better half up to letterkenny for her 30th birthday. We stayed in the fantastic Station house hotel. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who answered the barrage of question I had with a smile. On reaching our room we found it lovelly inside with good space a comfy bed and the icing on the cake choclate strawberries and and champers. We had our meal on the second night and the meal was fabulous. A warm and and friendly hotel fantastic service we will be back again soon

thanks Martin McCoubrey

3  Thank Marty M
StationHouseHotel, Manager at Station House Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Dear Martin

Thank you for your very kind and encouraging review. We are delighted that you both thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Station House very soon. Our team participate in regular guest service training programmes to ensure that we maintain our excellent service standards and continue to provide a warm and welcoming experience for all our guests. Your business is our pleasure...

Warmest Regards

Reviewed November 15, 2011

My partner and I travelled to the hotel on the Groupon Deal as a nice weekend away. This was 1 Night Bed, Breakfast and Evening Meal. When I originally called to book the deal it was later at night (around 8pm) and the receptionist wasnt able to answer some of my questions and advised me to call back. When I did I booked an additional night and a Spa treatment and requested a corner room as (based on a review I read on this site) I knew the rooms were bigger.

When I was travelling to Letterkenny I rang and confirmed some of the details and they were able to tell me my corner room was booked and they were looking forward to seeing me which was really nice. The person at reception when we booked in was lovely and really friendly. The room was the best part with lovely floor to ceiling windows and beautifully laid out room. If i was being picky the only things I didnt like about the room were that the broadband wasnt wireless and that the floor in the bathroom/wetroom tended to pool the water a bit rather than drain away.

We had our meal on the first night; it was lovely and lots of it. The only thing was that the menu was for Groupon bookings so we were given three options for a main course i.e. Meat, Fish or Vegetarian and that was how it was written; not "Penne Pasta with Vegetables" for example but "Vegetarian Option". The menu looked a bit strange with those three options written on it. There was a note saying that you could substitute dishes on the main menu up to a certain value which we did. Also the menu was for a main and dessert but it would have been nice to have a choice i.e. starter/main or main/dessert as I'm not really a dessert person.

On the second day I had my Spa treatment which was a little way from the hotel; about 15 minutes walk. It was a lovely hour well spend and because it was through the hotel there was a discount. We then had tea/biscuits in the bar which was part of the Groupon deal which was a really nice touch.

On both nights, because the room was on the first floor and right above the front door, the noise was a bit distracting. On the Saturday there was a group of girls on a hen night and they were a bit noisy into the morning. However I think this is a trade off from having a bigger room on the corner and on the first floor.

The location is great with lots of well known shops close by and places to eat too. There is a Dunnes food/clothes shop straight across from the hotel which has a bank machine if needed.

Overall, I had a great time, the location was good, the staff were brillant and the value was perfect. Will definitely be visiting again!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room at the front but on the 2nd or 3rd floor. The rooms are bigger but the 1st flo...
2  Thank Josephine M

Dear Jodel

Thank you most sincerely for taking time out of your schedule to review in depth your recent stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you as our valued guest. We pride ourselves on our excellent levels of guest service satisfaction and we work very diligently to ensure that all our guests enjoy a memorable, warm and welcoming stay. Your kind comments are delightful and we look forward very much to having you back as our guest very soon...

Yours Truly

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I am a wheelchair user & found this hotel very accessible. Staff lovely. Overall - great!

Room Tip: Only saw a disabled room - it was a great size, but dont know if disabled rooms are generally larger...
2  Thank 1983Gary1983
StationHouseHotel, Manager at Station House Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Dear Gary

We are delighted to read that you had a great experience throughout your recent stay with us. Your review is very positive and thank you for your kind comments. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Station House, assuring you of our best personal attention at all times

Kindest Regards