“Nice hotel, lovely staff”

Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Galway, Ireland
“Nice hotel, lovely staff”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed in Gallachers for over a week recently with work and the location was perfect. The staff were always very helpful and friendly which makes a long stay so much easier.They were very willing to help with certain aspects of work. the bar is also very nice and staff were very welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gallaghers1, General Manager at Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Maudie 2012,
Thank you so much for such a glowing review we really appreciate feedback from all our guests and we are delighted with such a positive review. and we look forward to serving you soon again.
Antoinette Coyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for one night midweek , three of my family also stayed in other rooms . The hotel is well located and standard of rooms are excellent . The bar is cosy and warm . The staff in the bar and reception could not do enough for us and the hotel should be very proud of them and ensure to keep them because they make the hotel what it is .
The only downside I found was the breakfast , and poor standard of staff serving it .
They had every thing you would find in a good hotel breakfast but the quality of food was so bad that two of my family could not eat it and one other did not try and had some fruit .
The staff did just enough work to get by , and had faces like sour grapes . Only for a very nice receptionist , our last memory of the hotel would have been cheap food and poorly trained ,sour ,unhappy, staff that did not want to be there .
Please understand . The staff in the reception , bar and night porter were excellent but the staff serving breakfast and the food was very poor standard .
Note to hotel " buy cheap food you get cheap food " unhappy staff reflect on your hotel .......(:

• Stayed October 2012
Dear paramedic-197,
Many thanks for your review on Gallagher's Hotel and your very kind comments on our Reception and Bar staff , I fully take on board your comments regarding Breakfast service with changes already in place, I hope you to welcome you back in the near future to enjoy another stay with us.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is centrally located in the town. The decor, which was probably very nice when it first opened is a bit tired now. The price is very good and the staff were very nice and helpful. As accommodation was at a premium this weekend in Letterkenny we squeezed 2 adults and 3 children into 1 room. It was a bit cramped but this was not the fault of the hotel and I was grateful that they let me bring the extra child as a lot of hotels won't do this forcing you to book 2 rooms and all the extra cost. Only thing missing from my kids point of view was a swimming pool. The breakfast was good for a hotel and we had lunch there the first day which was also good value. Overall, would recommed it for location, price and friendliness and efficiency of staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
gallaghers1, General Manager at Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you so much for such a lovely review, we are very pleased with your comments regarding value for money and guest satisfaction.
Kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I gave this hotel 4/5 but only because I got a good price. I would not be giving this if I had paid the price quoted on the internet.
This hotel is basically lacking in attention to detail, from stained carpets to inadequate signage and sour milk it just lets itself down.This is a pity because overall it is quite a nice hotel.The bedroom was fine with particularly nice crisp and fresh sheets and all the usual facilities. Towels were of poor quality and the toiletries consisted of just a dispenser in the bath/shower. The shower curtain is placed too far into the bath , sticking to you as you wash, not pleasant.
The breakfast was just ok, with milk that was not fresh probably from being left on the tables in a warm room. This was changed with no problem but no fresh cup either!
The hotel is lovely and warm and the staff are very friendly, especially on reception. It is situated in the centre of the town and has good parking but finding your way around is a bit confusing especially with the need to use two lifts.
I got a very good price for the night (over the phone) and overall the hotel was comfortable and grand for a night. I would stay again but only for a good price and for one night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
gallaghers1, General Manager at Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear ColletteM1,
Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent stay with us, I was so sorry to read about your experience at breakfast, I have passed on your comments to our team, I do hope you give us the opportunity of rectifying your opinion on the level of service and attention to detail on your next visit should you be returning to letterkenny.
Antoinette Coyle,
Melb
Reviewed October 29, 2012

A little hard to find at first as Letterkenny had changed street names. Had to use Long/Lat co-ordinates to find.
Well positioned close to town.
All facilities good and spacious.
Very helpful and acommodating staff.
Restaurant (and breakfast) very good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dgs99
Thank you so much dgs 99 for your very kind comments, the team in Gallagher's were so thrilled with such a lovely review, and would of course like extend a warm welcome should you ever be returning to Letterkenny.
Many Thanks &
Kind Regards
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two night bank holiday weekend we had a lovely time. The hotel in right in the center perfect walking distance to shops bars etc. The staff in the hotel were very nice and pleasant and the food was delicious we had both breakfast and food of the room service menu. The only two faults I have are that there is about 3 TV stations and the noise we experienced on the first night literally about ten fellas and girls shouting and roaring on our floor for more than an hour now I know when you have had a few drinks you can forget about other people on the floor but this was a disgrace I phoned down to reception and eventually about a half hour after the roaring stopped not sure if this was due to somebody calling up to the floor or they just went to bed.

Even though we had this noise I would still 100% return again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tara2008,
Delighted to read your positive comments and we will look forward to welcoming you back, as you mentioned you had disturbance we are saddened to hear this, we encourage all groups to respect our other guests who are in the hotel and it is with regret that we did not achieve this on your recent visit, please accept our sincere apologies for this incident as our night staff are there to assist with any problems that may arise, We will be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.
Many Thanks &
Kind Regards.
Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

If I could leave a 3.5 out of 5 I would as it was above average but not worth 4/5!!

We stayed here for a work do Sat 20/10/12. Hotel is right in the middle of the main street so good for bars, nightclubs & shopping. Carpark up lane to left of front of hotel. (We eventually found it after ringing the hotel to ask!!) Check-in quick & receptionist upgraded one of the rooms for free. I shared a family room with 2 other girls. I always take a good look around the room wherever I go so I can give an honest review on trip advisor.

Positives - Location. Price 65 euro for bed, good breakfast & not so bad 2 course meal with bottle of wine per couple. Friendly staff in restaurant & live band in bar on the Sat night. Flatscreen tv, plenty of storage & safe deposit in room. Free wifi.

Negatives - Hmmm well rooms were a little bit grubby & could do with a bit of updating. 1 stain on carpet, grout on bathroom tiles could have done with a bit of bleach & shower curtain was so close to the wall it stuck to your backside everytime you took a shower (lol). Not a very powerful shower either. Our view was that of a white wall & I mean if the room was on fire there was no way you could have got out the wall was so close!!

I still however would recommend this hotel only if you are going to Letterkenny for a night out with your friends or even with couples for a night out but I certainly wouldn't go here with my husband for a romantic break away. 1 night was plenty.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Weemaz23
Dear Weemaz,
Thank you for your recent review, please accept our apologies for your room not being up to our usual high standard, we are at the moment getting work done to the bedrooms as it is difficult to do this in high season, we do take all comments seriously and endeavor to provide everyone with a good experience in Gallagher's Hotel.
Many thanks &
Antoinette Coyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterkenny
Dillons Hotel
#6 of 12 in Letterkenny
Jackson's Hotel
Jackson's Hotel
#2 of 2 in Ballybofey

Been to Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny? Share your experiences!