“best in north west”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Waterford, Ireland
“best in north west”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

stayed here on june 22.top class hotel,rooms are spottless and spacious.the staff are
really friendley.food is also v good.it also in relly good locition in centre of town.i wii definatley go back.the best ive stayed in.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at Gallaghers on a Saturday night as we attended a wedding just outside Letterkenny during the day.

The one very good thing about the place is that they have 24 hour reception desk so, if like us, you are busy during the day you can check in whenever you want.

We arrived rather late, at 2am with two friends. Reception was open and we quickly checked in and we went to our rooms. For some reason we were given a smoking room, despite not asking for it and not being told at reception. When we open the door to the room we nearly chocked, it smelt vile! So we went back down and ask for a non-smoking room and got given one next door to our friends (not sure why they didn't offer it to us in the first place...)

The room was very clean and spacious, but looked tired and was a bit depressing especially as our view consisted of a wall and the windows were filthy. I wouldn't have minded these minor issues if only we had a good night sleep...unfortunately that didn't happen as this hotel seems to attract an awful lot of stag and hen dos.

So the noise that only drunk people can make it in such abundance (running in the corridors, shouting, arguing, laughing, knocking on doors etc.) was continuous throughout the night and morning.

I am not sure why the hotel didn't think of putting all the stag and hen dos on one floor and everyone else on another as the hotel seems rather big and didn't look full.

Breakfast is also an underwhelming self-service job and, priced at €10 per head, not worth the bother.

Overall, if you are a couple and looking for a decent night sleep, I wouldn't recommend this hotel although I accept the fact that the noise created by large number of guests is not strictly the hotel's responsibility and stag and hen dos are probably and excellent revenue stream for hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I was hesitant to stay here, due to some of the reviews. I'm very glad I took a chance and it proved to be the nicest hotel of my trip! The staff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. The room was boutique plush. It was clean and quiet. I am a light sleeper, so quiet is important to me. Breakfast was included and there was a large assortment of cereals, yogurts, breads, and hot cooked selections. I asked for a room in the quietest corner and was assured to let the staff know if I had any problems. Again, it was a quiet and I slept soundly.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SailingJenny
Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Really cheap room at eur50 b&b for main st letterkenny. From the outside this hotel looks impressive
but do not be fooled. We took the lift to our foor and as soon as the doors opened I was hit by the smell of stale smoke. The corridors are so dark it was like walking through a subway at night. For some strange reason the carpet is too big for the floor and you have really watch your step for the ramps it has formed. Perhaps a suggestion to the hotel would be to provide night vision glasses for people walking to their rooms. The room was as you would expect for the price. I could not fault the staff. Everyone that you would meet spoke and were really friendly. If you like hostels then this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2011
Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

There is actually nothing bad I could say about this hotel. We were a large hendo and were treated like royalty from the minute I rang to enquire. When we arrived we had the problem of cancelling a room because two girls pulled out that morning. Instead of the hotel charging us for that room because we had originally booked it they gave us a champagne reception to make us feel better for our absent guests! It almost felt too good to be true!
Dinner in the restaurant was absolutely lovely and the menu catered for every taste and desire. Restaurant staff could not do enough to cater for our demands.
In relation to the staff they were extremely friendly, helpful and professional. We also had no problem getting security deposits back! Overall amazing experience!

Food: Excellent.
Rooms: Lovely.
Price: Extremely reasonable for what we were getting!
Location: Perfect.
Staff: Brilliant.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2011

receptionist had a bad attitude and shouldn't be working in a customer service job, that said the hotel was clean and no complaints about the room. The restaurant staff were lovely and polite- good base as its in the centre of things.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I stayed here on the weekend of 14th and 15th of may with my partner, and I must say I have never enjoyed a hotel as much as this place. The staff were unbelievably friendly. We had dinner on the saturday night an it was exquiste. Breakfast the following morning was made even more enjoyable by all the staff especially the 2 chefs that served us the night before an that morning. Joking away with us and been all round perfect professionals. I would gladly come back and stay again. 5 star. The only downside was that a hen party that stayed that weekend were very unpleasant and a disgrace to staff. Will def pay another visit here.

• Stayed May 2011