“Disappointed.”
Review of Restaurant Sage

Restaurant Sage
Ranked #4 of 113 Restaurants in Letterkenny
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sage aims to serve local bought produce from the wonderful areas surrounding Letterkenny, in Donegal. We have a contemporary feel with a relaxed and vibrant ambiance. Every dish is cooked from fresh and to your liking. We are able to cater for all sorts of tastes and dietary needs and our staff are always delighted to talk to new and returning customers about our menu. Our Chef hails from Mexico and we can offer fine imported Mexican ingredients, when ordered in advance. We enjoy our restaurant and certainly hope you do also.
Donegal Ireland
“Disappointed.”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Ate there last night with my husband for the first time and was really disappointed.
Staff w ere pleasant but the food really lacked favour.
We ordered the shared as siege for starters and I ordered the lamb as my main course and my husband the surf n turf.
We were served an amuse Boucher which is indeed a nice touch, it was two espresso cups of soup with fingers of bread, perfect except the soup was really cold, major faux as soup needs to be served hot
My lamb was so disappointing, lamb has such a nice flavour and is easily distinguished from any other meat, this lamb was not, it could have n
Been anything, it actually didn't have any flavour at all?
The waitress asked how was our food and I very politely said I was disappointed in the lamb, it didn't taste like lamb, she said I will mention it to the chef!
End of story, didn't hear another word about it!! Not good enough
We ordered coffee and the assisted of desert , the coffee came and was finished way before t he desert arrived.it too was lacking in flavour and finesse.
Chocolate mouse with a little sticky toffee pudding, the mouse was just bobbed on the slate, the two little pieces of st icky toffee pudding came dry and without any toffee sauce worth mentioning.
Overall very disappointing, and pricey for what we got, Sunday evening so all a la carte, no problem with that if the food is good, but is was very to below average,
Will definately not be returning

• Visited August 2014

• Polish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must visit when in the north east!”
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

We had a great meal today (07:08:14). We saw the previous reviews on trip and weren't disappointed.
Food was superb, especially the children are well catered for. Chef will make most things fresh and kids enjoyed it all.
Best of all service was great and efficient. Helpful and pleasant.
Would highly recommend!

Well done!

1 Thank Linzi M
donegal
“Par Excellence.”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Once again my wife and I enjoyed the excellent food and atmosphere of this fantastic restaurant. The staff were attentive and the prices very reasonable. Their excellent dishes never let you down and the delightful tastes linger on your palate for some time. I had fish dishes which were cooked to perfection. Again well tone to the chef and to all who work there. I'll be back.

2 Thank marypatrica
Donegal
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Restaurant”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had a lovely meal last Saturday night (26/07/14). The food was beautiful, piping hot. Presentation, seasoning, flavour, range of choice were all excellent. The staff were really nice and helpful. They engaged in friendly conversation from the moment we sat down, explaining the food to us, the flavours etc. They were not afraid to engage in little personal jokes during the night that made our experience so much more enjoyable.I thought the little flaming sambuca shot at the end of the meal was a nice touch! Also, the chef came out to talk to the customers at the end of service and was eager to know the customers, know what their experience was like etc. It made me as a customer feel valued. The next time I go back I would like to see the restaurant having a better choiceof herbal teas available. It was limited to peppermint and camomile. however, it is possibly one of the nicest restaurants in Letterkenny. Don't know why I haven't went there soon.

Kent
“Best dining in the North West!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We visited on a Friday night in the height of summer, after planning for ages to give this place a try, and it was well worth the visit.

We have tried a few restaurants in town, and in recent times the standard has dropped, however we were delighted to say that Sage has bucked the trend. With locally sourced meat and vegetables it shows just what excellent food is produced near by.

The starters were excellent, with my scallops almost melt in the mouth. My partner had the brie, made to order from some of the mixed platter. Main courses were fantastic. My fiancée likes her steaks well done, and whilst in the past, these have resulted in dried out steaks, her's arrived perfectly, as did mine. My parents courses were exactly the same as well.

The staff were attentive, and made you feel welcome, and they could not do enough to help.

If you are looking for an excellent dining experience in Letterkenny or the North West of Donegal, then this is the place to go.

1 Thank SDJames1979