“Yikes”

Ranked #4 of 12 Coffee & Tea in Letterkenny
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Restaurant
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Very poor selection of food, had a wrap, the bbq one, it was tiny!! :(
Really expensive for the food & service you get - very rude waitress, we seemed to be in her way.

1  Thank KG00005
There are newer reviews for Bread and Butter Bistro

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stopped in here for a sandwich. The food was okay. There was a raving review on the door from a newspaper but service and food were not as good as the reviewpromised. The staff were a bit aloof and all seemed to be having a good chat amongst themselves. The service was prompt enough after we ordered but the food was just basic. On my last mouthfull of coffee I realised there was a chip in my mug. Aaaarrrrggghhh

2  Thank Yogmart
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Bread and Butter is situated in a good location in a very busy shopping area of Letterkenny. So busy, in fact, that we had to queue to enter the carpark outside. I agree with previous reviewers that the decor is reasonable, with comfortable seats, and the fact that it is so busy leads to a nice atmosphere.

The food, however, is a different story. I ordered a "hawaiian melt" baguette, which was a single demi-baguette filled with a single slice of ham (apparently from a packet) that covered roughly 50% of the surface area of the baguette, coupled with a few chunks of tinned pineapple chunks and some bright orange melted cheese. It also had a side of chips, which were undercooked, and appear to have been frozen. If this were a 2 Euro sandwich from a shop in a rundown part of the city, I would expect this, but given that the price was a few cents off 10 Euro, it was a big letdown.

My friends all had chicken wraps, each of which they had to unwrap and re-build, as they were clearly put together with so much haste that they could not be hand-held.

To top it all off, when one of my companions ordered a cappuccino, he was told that they "only have black coffee or white coffee". He duly ordered white coffee. When it arrived, it was served in a latte glass, with a considerable top of frothed milk; as such, it appears that they have the equipment to make cappuccinos, just not the will to do so.

Strangely, the desserts were of good quality - I suspect they must buy them in rather than making them in-house. They weren't good enough to pull this review up from 2 stars.

Overall, I would not recommend this cafe unless you are going for dessert only - but even at that, the coffee situation means that you will be fairly thirsty by the time you are done.

4  Thank largebrick
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went to 'Bread and Butter' and had a really nice coffee and a yummy mint chocolate muffin. The waitress who showed us to our table and took our order was very pleasant. Good value for money too.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

My work colleague found a hair in her meal so her meal was replaced and she was charged half price, needless to say, none of us enjoyed our meal.