“Relaxing- Great Setting - Recommended”

Castle Grove Country House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Dublin
“Relaxing- Great Setting - Recommended”
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Stayed 1 night. Peaceful country house, gate-house, long winding driveway. We had the W.,B. Yeats room to the front. Large clean room with large en-suite. Nice grounds looking over Lough Swilly. Good breakfast. Excellent sitting rooms downstairs, one with T.V., others without. There was an open log fire the evening we arrived. Bar & restaurant (unfortunately the latter was closed the evening we were there - we ate at the Silver Tassie across the main road). Only faults : sealant around bath has mould and TV in room didn't work . Would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pgbDublin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed here whilst on a business trip in the area. My biggest disappointment is that our trip only afforded us two nights in this lovely place! We stayed in the Johnathan Swift room which had it's own seperate sitting room with TV. The furniture made me feel like a queen: a sette, a six foot high, six foot wide wardrobe, dressing table, writing desk, and a four postered curtained bed that was so high one might need to use the provided foot stool to climb into it! The bed and pillows were soooo comfy! And it was so quiet I could hear my heart beating as I drifted off to sleep. And the staff are so hospitable and accommodating without being always in your face. When we arrived we were offered tea and scones by the roaring fire in the drawing room. It is an elegant place with a very welcoming homey feel. We weren't able to take but our breakfasts there but if the quality of the breakfast menu is any indication of what the other meals are like, my having missed them is yet another regret! I enjoyed the oak smoked irish salmon on both mornings along with some homemade granola, scrumptious honeydew, scones, and delicious coffee.

One morning, before we had to head out, I walked about the immediate grounds. Even in winter this place is very beautiful and striking. I can only imagine how gorgeous it all is in the summer!

I highly recommend Castle Grove to anyone wanting to get away and just be able to think and drink in all the natural beauty. I hope I can get back there to experience at least a week of complete relaxation, incredible PEACE and quiet, and total ahhhhhhhh......... And even if I don't get back, my short taste of it is filed away in my happy memories to be pulled out when I need a mental vacation!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank wingsaseagles
Donegal
Reviewed February 13, 2010

A large group of us had a function at the hotel and some of us stayed over. The hotel was exceptional in every way. I have stayed in many hotels over the years this place is wonderful. The location is great very romantic yet near enough to letterkenny for a livelier night. The rooms were individual and unique in every way, the furnishings very suited to the period of the house. The bed was the most comfortable ever!! The staff were more than helpful and more than willing to tend to all our needs. A wonderful place

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank DonegalFizzy
N Ireland
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Stayed here as a birthday treat - can only describe the weekend as sheer
relaxation and tranquility.
Apart from the beautiful scenery - the hotel itself reminds you of a time when hotels
really were places to relax and unwind. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff
or owners who were on hand to attend to our every need - the attention to detail -
the charm and elegance just made the stay so enjoyable.
It is, so obviously , a labour of love for the owners and it shows.
Would recommend this hotel for anyone who needs their batteries recharged and somewhere to be indulged.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hermissa
burt1972
Reviewed March 18, 2009

This was an interesting place to stay and had positives and negatives. Firstly I would recommend it, although be aware that the furnishings etc may not be what you expect from a 3/4star residence. I spent the weekend with my wife and upon arrival was a little perturbed to see the greenhouse area full of chairs that looked like they had been dumped there. This house was refurbished in 1999 and it looks like it has not been updated since. The furnishing in the bedrooms is certainly dated but they are spotless.

However, the welcome we got was fantastic and friendly and not typical of the reception received at most Irish hotels anymore. We got coffee in the drawing room upon arrival with home made cookies (no charge by the way) and the fire was lit for us. Ironing is done free of charge if you drop your stuff at reception too. It is a family run hotel and it shows.

Be aware that the hotel is about 4 miles from letterkenny, about a 15 euro taxi ride. So we ate in the hotel the first night and had wine and Irish coffees(some of the best I have tasted by the way) in the drawing room after by the fire. Food was good and reasonable 69 euro for 2 course for 2 people. The other nights we ate out and drove back and had some wine and coffee in the drawing room. The lemon tree and the bistro opposite provided good fare.

First impressions are a little “ not so sure” with this hotel but as a base for the Donegal area we enjoyed it and overall would recommend it on the basis of relaxation and service. I know my parents would enjoy it (We are in our early 30’s). This place is not for those looking for a loud and boisterous weekend.

The rooms are slightly noisy if you are over the drawing rooms as guests can sit and talk, sometimes loudly and it is a house so the floors are not precast concrete. This did not bother me too much but it could be worth asking for the far side of the house if it bothers you. This did not go on late; typically everyone retired to the rooms before 11.30pm. That’s the kind of place it is, you retire to the room.
Generally though the house is dead silent.

For the money it is a good place to stay and I would recommend it but be aware of the limitations if that bothers you.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2008

Castle Grove in Letterkenny, Co Donegal is a beautifully kept restored Georgian home in an equally splendid part of Ireland.
The house boasts beautiful periods rooms with high ceilings, genuine antiques and cut glass chandeliers.
The food experience is wonderful offering local produce at its best.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank Robert W
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I took my wife here for a quiet weekend so that we could both recharge our batteries and WOW. What a splendid place.
Take time out and leave the kids, mobile phone, laptop and anything else from the modern world and step back in time for a day or two.
We were given the George Bernard Shaw suite. Very large room with fantastic period furniture. The bed was socomfortable that we overslept the next morning for breakfast.
Though this is a four star establishment, the service is not what you expect from a modern hotel and thank god for that. It is warm, friendly and laid back. saying that, it is very good but it just adds to that feel of going back in time.
We sat in the drawing room for almost 3 hours reading the papers. No background music, no traffic and not even the sound of the wind and rain, just the gentle chimes of the old clocks going off every half hour. If you want peace and quiet then you have it here ina very large amount.
The food is outstanding, fine dining and fine wines but a wine list to suite all tastes and pockets.
For what you get here the price is very reasonable so it won't break the bank.
It is approx 3-4 miles from Letterkenny and approx 1 hour from Derry depending on traffic.
I don't play golf but the Letterkenny golf club is nearby.
This place is for the quiet getaway, not for kids or nightlife.
All in all, a place of tranquillity.

• Liked — The peace and quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple