“Pleasant but needs a little updating”

Castle Grove Country House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Dublin, Ireland
“Pleasant but needs a little updating”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

We were met with a nice welcome and immediately shown to our room and offered tea at once. A great start. The room was very big and comfortable with fine fittings and a real 'country home' feel. Given the style and quality of the room decor, it was somewhat disappointing that some of what most consider standard features of a 4* room were lacking. Without a telephone to contact reception, no television, no tea making facility, no safe, no trouser press and hardly adequate heating took from the overall experience. In addition the toilet cistern took about a half hour to refill, which was extremely 'inconvenient'. Although we advised the proprietress of this issue, they were unable to have it repaired on the Saturday evening we were there. The shower handle needs to be replaced as it is quite rusted. They're are many positives including the friendliness of the owners and the breakfast was excellent and overall it was a nice experience. However a little extra attention to small upgrading the house would enhance the property. Finally, I think it only fair to say that a discount was applied to our account for the bathroom failures.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Waddlerstrikesback
Eirene S, Manager at Castle Grove Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.
Firstly I would like to apologize for the bathroom issues, unfortunately we were unable to get the situation repaired that evening in a timely manner.
I will certainly take your feedback on board as this is the best way to improve and we are in the process of some minor updates throughout the hotel.
I do appreciate your comments re the friendly service and the quality of your breakfast, we do work effortlessly to welcome our guests and accommodate their needs.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again and you will see first hand how these reviews are extremely helpful.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We had an excellent stay at the Castle Grove and would highly recommend it. The owner Mary was so friendly and very interesting when talking about the house. The room was slightly cold but lovely. We also really appreciated the complimentary coffee and fruit bread that we got whilst sitting beside the roaring fire! We ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was outstanding, we couldn't fault it! The setting is lovely and we intend to return later in the spring.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Louise,

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to write this review and of course your kind words re the friendly service and the food.
We do work hard to provide friendly attentive service at all times and we are very pleased you enjoyed the food so much.
We are very proud of our restaurant's achievements and awards and we continue to use customer feedback to grow and improve on a daily basis.
I will be sure to tell mum, Mary, that you enjoyed hearing about the history of the house, she will be delighted!!
I and all the team here very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

County Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had our wedding reception at Castle Grove in February 2014. Right from the first time we enquired, we were treated as royalty. The staff could not have done any more for us to make our wedding and our stay there any more perfect. The setting is beautiful in the grounds and the guest rooms are spectacular - the whole hotel is furnished with antiques and period décor. It's such a beautiful environment in which to relax and enjoy.

Our meal was sensational - Filet of Irish Beef for everyone, which was cooked beautifully.

Breakfast was lovely too!

The staff are so fantastic. Everyone makes each and every guest feel so welcomed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary L
Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your your kind words, I am delighted the Castle Grove team was able to help in this very special day and it is so rewarding for us to know that you, your groom, family and friends all enjoyed the day!
We do work effortlessly to make sure all our guests enjoy their stay and in particular wedding parties as this really is their big day and we want everything to be just perfect.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Grove soon!!

N.ireland
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed here one night with my husband, wonderful experience.I booked the suite as a treat,this was a great choice. We had a lovely sitting room and a bedroom with a huge four poster bed. Everything about this place is so peaceful and tranquil, exactly what we needed. The house is beautiful with some amazing pieces of furniture, staff are always on hand, genuinely friendly, without being intrusive. It has an old fashioned charm, with tea offered on arrival by the fire and the delightful Mrs Sweeny visiting her guests in he dining room, good old fashioned hosting!We will definitely return ASAP! ....and the food!...amazing!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
I will be sure to show my mother, Mrs Sweeney, and the staff your kind review and very much look forward to welcoming you to Castle Grove in the near future.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

In December my husband and I took a short break in Co Donegal and went went for dinner to Grove House. So impressed were we of the quality of the food and the hospitality of the owner and staff that my husband booked for us to actually stay for the Valentine weekend. We were not dissapointed. The food was incredible with some amazing flavours, we had a 5 course meal on Friday night and planned to eat out on Saturday but we couldnt resist going back and sampling the dishes we didnt have the night before.
In addition to the food the hospitality and service was first class, from the owner Mary B Sweeney and her daughter to all the staff . Their friendliness was genuine and we were made to feel more like friends than Patrons. The house is fascinating and full of antiques. A real peice of history.

We plan to go back again in the summer and visit the house and the beautiful area to see it in a different light. The nearest large town is Letterkenny a couple of miles away.

Room Tip: There is no pool or fitness facilities.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ann B
Hi Ann,
Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted you decided to visit us again and am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
I will be sure to let the chefs know how much you enjoyed your meals.
I am so happy you felt so welcome , we work hard at making sure all our guests are made feel welcome and comfortable. As a family business we truly care about all of our guests and very much appreciate their business, so your review is very rewarding to us.
I hope to see you again soon!

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

My husband took me here on 19th December for my birthday. We had not eaten here in a few years. It was simply wonderful the food was absolutely delicious and such good value. We had a delicious goats cheese salad starter followed by a gorgeous sorbet then turkey and ham simply divine and loads of it and a chocolate parfait for dessert gorgeous. We also had delicious homemade breads, a chefs appetiser and lovely tea and mince pies to finish all in all brillant. I would highly recommend and cannot wait to return. I was even serenaded by one of the waiters when told of my birthday. What a perfect birthday thank you to all.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and of course I am thrilled our team was able to make you felt so special and welcome on your birthday.
I will be sure to let the chefs know how much you enjoyed the meal , we do work effortlessly to maintain high standards in the restaurant and throughout the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We visited this country house hotel and restaurant in mid-December for my wife's birthday. The last time that we visited was around 2 years ago. The restaurant has certainly maintained its very high standards with regards to the quality food, ambience and service. We were not disappointed. We chose from the four-course festive menu and every course was extremely tasty with so much attention to detail. All in all, a great dining experience, not to mention the competitively priced menu which represented real value for money.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank george9009
Eirene S, Manager at Castle Grove Country House Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2015
Hi Charlotte,
Happy New Year, hope 2015 will be kind to you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We, as a team, are thrilled you enjoyed your stay so much, it's hard to top "best hotel stay ever" but we will continue to maintain and improve our services and always remain humble in doing so.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterkenny
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
Station House Hotel Letterkenny
Rathmullan House
Rathmullan House
#1 of 1 in Rathmullan

Been to Castle Grove Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!