“Enjoyable Experience”

Mount Errigal Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Myself and my husband visited Letterkenny for a quick break two weeks ago and we dedcided to stay at the Mount Errigal Hotel what it was a great choice.

The hotel is very nice inside and the staff is very dedicated and friendly. We had a lovely chat with the receptionist who was talking to us about the area and giving us advise in how to get to some places near by.

The food in the restaurant was amazing and breakfast in the morning was also very good.

We also have to send our compliments to the leisure centre where we had a very realaxing time

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Rosycat48

Reviewed October 6, 2008

This is a dismal place to stay. My husband had to be in the area for business so we thankfully only had to spend one night there. First off, this hotel is in a terrible area with rusted warehouses around it. Nothing scenic about the area whatsoever. The lobby is nice when you walk inside and before I run down the rooms I also must say that we had a lovely dinner in their dining room that evening - I think it is called The Strawberry Garden. It was decorated very attractively and we had great service from a lovely blonde waitress from Poland. I wish I could remember her name - so our dinner experience was quite nice. We had the monkfish and carrot coriander soup, and assorted vegetables, it was delicious. Also, the next morning before we checked out we had an okay breakfast. The breakfast area is also attractive. The entire two weeks I was in Ireland this was the only morning I had truly delicious coffee.

Now once you leave the lobby anything closely resembling decent. The halls are long and dark and weird and dank. Our room had about as much pizzaz as a dirty washrag. The room was clean, but that is really all I can say for it. but it had a weird damp smell. The lighting was dim and creepy. Yes, it had a toilet and shower, there was a tiny shard of soap and a couple rough thin small towels. There was a bed and it had hard brittle bedsheets on it. There were some chairs. What was most shocking to me about it was that we were told proudly at check in that we had been given the bridal suite. All I could think the entire time was "the poor brides that have had to stay in this room" I thought maybe it was a joke but it wasn't. The room was actually the bridal suite. Wow. (when I went down the hall later in the day I peeked into another room and it was the size of a room on a train (like a walk in closet basically so I guess the bridal suite we were in was much more spacious and it did have a king sized bed). I wish I had taken pictures but I just wanted to get through it and get out the next day as soon as the sun rose. Which we did.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank JulieBugg
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Forget it dont waste your money quite frankly! We stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding whilst the food and service at the wedding was excellent the attitude of the breakfast staff and reception staff left a lot to be desired. We had a problem initially checking in and i must say the young girl Maeve was most helpful however when we asked to speak to a manager we met a jolenne who quite honest was abrupt, rude and teated us like backpackers she obviously has not worked in customer service very long!!

We checked out early and decided to stay in town in a very nice hotel with nice staff i certainly will not be staying here again. Its a pity as we are attending another wedding in Letterkenny in November

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I stayed at the Mount Errigal Hotel the first weekend in August due to I was attending a wedding reception there.

I have to confess that I was not too sure if booking the hotel or not after reading some of the reviews in Tripadvisor but I have to say that myself and my wife were delighted with our stay at the hotel and we loved there!. Our Room had a good size and it was very clean and comfortable. The food and the service at the wedding were exceptional.

Breakfast the following morning was also lovely.

I hope to get back to the Mount Errigal Hotel soon.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2008

A recent visit to this hotel was extremely disappointing. After a long journey we had hoped to meet with a warm Donegal welcome. However upon check in we were informed that our booking had not been recieved despite email confirmation staff remained insistant that the fault lay with ourselves and they adopted a very rude and dissmisive attitude and were most unhelpful. Only after repeated requests to 3 members of staff to recheck their booking's were we successful in checking in. No apologies were offered and staff remained disinterested. The reception and bar area's were clearly in need of extensive cleaning. The room was dirty and very smelly. Although information was provided regarding the availability of a full bar food menu this was unavailable. Instead a very conveyor belt style carvery was offered somewhat reminiscent of a school cafeteria. Our stay concluded with the finding of a cockroache in the bedroom. Overall a very poor standard from what we had expected. We will certainly not be returning or recommending this hotel.

Reviewed August 8, 2008

Stayed there with my husband and 2 very small children.

Before arriving I had to re negotiate deal as was not what was offered on discover ireland site. One member of staff said that hadn't heard of it after emailing me that yes they did the offer and others agreed that was available and instead of being honest they blamed other website for mistake. I should have read the signs because it turned out to be quite a disappointing stay overall.

On arrival, when, like most public building entrances now, you pass the plume of smoke, the foyer and bar area are quite impressive and the staff were indeed friendly and helpful.

I would however have appreciated being informed that smoking rooms were most likely to be given unless you specify otherwise. Never mind us, with a baby and child the last place we wanted to be was in a smokey environment so we requested a move, which happened the next day, to a non smoking room which was marginally better in that there was no smoke wafting through the vents from other rooms but that turned out to smell of seasoned stale smoke!

Anyway....it is such a pity because the food in the bar was lovely, the staff were nice and friendly, the pool was great fun and it was a good enough base from which to travel.

All in all though, next time we'll return to the hotel a mile or so up the road or to the lovely quaint little one in Ballybofey. No disappointments there and no fresh cigarette smoke or even worse stale stuff.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Mount Errigal Hotel as we were attending a friend’s wedding. A few months prior to the wedding we found a ‘spring special’ on their website which stated, 3 nights B&B and 1 evening meal which we booked. Friends of ours also saw the deal and booked around the same time as us.

As our printed confirmation did not state that breakfast or the meal was included, we checked on a couple of occasions that the meal was included and were assured it was. The meal itself was slightly dissapointing (seemed like left overs from another wedding taking place in the hotel), although as it was part of the 'spring special', we did not want to complain.

At check out, we were all told that we would in fact have to pay for the meal as there was confusion with the ‘spring special’. We told them about confirming numerous times that this was ok as we would not have eaten there otherwise. After a discussion they told us that we didn’t need to pay and sorry for the misunderstanding. About a week later, the manager of the hotel phoned my husband and my friend to say they were not happy with the ‘mix up’ and would need to take the balance from both credit cards! They only allowed 3 rings on my husband’s phone before hanging up. Half and hour later, they left a voice message to say they had charged our card!

We feel this is totally outrageous and the hotel has taken money from our credit cards without our consent. How could 2 couples misunderstand the ‘spring special’. We booked from completely separate locations and both saw the same deal. Also, we confirmed at least 3 times that the meal was included in the ‘spring special’ as we wouldn’t have eaten there otherwise. We feel like the hotel has robbed us and there is nothing we can do about it.

We have been trying to follow up with the hotel since they took this money without our consent but have been quite irresponsive. Now they have the money, they don't care and they have told us they need to balance their books so will not refund the money. I would urge anyone to stay away from this hotel and certainly avoid giving them your credit card details. However, if you MUST stay there, I would recommend avoiding the ‘special’ deals as they are not what they say they are!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business