“Week end break”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Derry, United Kingdom
“Week end break”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Spent a weekend with 7 friends in this hotel. The hotel was very busy as there was a feis taking place. Despite this the staff were very efficient, friendly and could not do enough to help you. The hotel itself is lovely, warm atmosphere, very clean, beautiful rooms with very comfortable beds. The food in the bar and restaurant was excellent and good value for money. We couldn't complain about anything. Will definitely return and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
ErrigalSales, Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your fantastic review. I'm delighted by your comments as will our entire team be.

Please come back again soon!
Carolynne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Bellaghy
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Had a fabulous weekend once again at the Mount Errigal , this is the secong time myself and my husband have stayed here! Complimentary upgeade as return customers very much appreciated! Rooms luxurious and spotless clean, cant be faulted! This stay we ate in the hotel bar, the food was wonderful and very reasonable! We will definately return, it is now our go to hotel!

Room Tip: Executive room was fantastic
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks a million for your positive feedback, we are delighted that we managed to impress you for the second time.
We look forward to your return!

tyrone
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

it is a decent hotel. location isnt great as regards the night life in letterkenny but for some this would be a bonus. breakfast was nice. hot water was an issue in the room. staff were friendly & helpful.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your positive review, it is great to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I'm sorry to hear about the hot water, I will certainly look into this.

Come again soon!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel was very disappointing from the beginning of our stay until the end.

When we arrived the receptionist allowed another customer to skip the queue ahead of us because she said that their request would take less time. Then when she came back she answered the phone while we were just left standing there for a further 15 minutes. You don't answer the phone when you have a customer right in front of you waiting!

The food in the bar was truly terrible, the "gourmet" burger had no seasoning and the cheese was like a piece of melted plastic on top, the chips were undercooked and hard. Had I not been starving I wouldn't have eaten a bite. There didn't seem to be much point sending it back either as my partners meal was also awful so I'm guessing it wasn't a fluke.

Then we asked reception for a corkscrew to open a bottle of wine we had taken with us and instead of finding one for us she told us to go and ask the bar as they might have one. They told us that we would have to bring our bottles down to the bar to have them opened which was fine except when we came back down they informed us there was a £10 corkage per bottle-to drink in our room. I refused this as there was a lidl nearby and I could get 10 corkscrews for that amount of money. A staff member then ran after us and claimed that actually it was ok for them to open the bottles, as if he was doing us some great favour.

The beds were hard and the pillows were hard. I have never had such a bad nights sleep in a hotel.

The one bright spot was the salon which was staffed by a very pleasant woman and I would heartily recommend her.

On my departure I was asked how my stay was which wasn't an easy question to answer because you don't want to tell someone their business is awful but I relayed some of my issues and was told that I would get a free upgrade if I were to stay again. Honestly even if it were free and you paid my petrol money I wouldn't visit this hotel again.

Having read some of the other bad reviews I can see the manager seems to be extremely defensive, sarcastic and rude. Not a great way to deal with valid criticisms.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ciara S
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay with us, firstly, I'd like to apologise for the issues you encountered. I think it's best if I deal with each of your issues separately.

I was disappointed to read that your experience at reception was not that of a typical experience our guests have. Our reception team is usually commended for its warm welcome and attention, so I apologise that you did not have the opportunity to enjoy this. As regards answering the phone whilst at the front desk, if for example the other receptionist has nipped to the ladies or is on a break, sometimes this is unavoidable. It should only ever take a few seconds to transfer the call to the right department or to reservations office.

I'm also sorry to read that you did not enjoy your meal in the bar. Our burgers are all freshly made & cooked on the Josper Grill, the Josper is renowned for its unique taste and for how quickly it cooks lean meats, if you were not happy with yours, a few moments would have been all it would take for a new one to be provided. I understand you were really hungry & you consumed your entire meal, so perhaps that is why you didn’t want to mention anything when your server asked how it was. Again, I do apologise.

In reference to your request for a corkscrew at reception. Reception does not keep corkscrews, so it is likely that you would have been referred to the bar. We have no issue with you consuming alcohol in your room, however, should you wish to consume your bottles of wine in the bar, of course you will be charged a corkage fee. From your account, I can only assume that perhaps the bar staff member assumed you wanted to drink your alcohol in the bar, and then when he realised there was a miscommunication; he tried to rectify it with you by offering to open them free of charge for consumption in your bedroom.

You say in your review 'you don't like to tell people their business is awful', perhaps this is how you felt whilst in the hotel, however, you had no reservations about telling us publicly from the comfort of your home.
You referred to how we respond to reviews, if you read them correctly, you will see that we are always apologising profusely for any issues that are encountered by our guests. When a guest writes a review, it is only manners to deal with it, explain perhaps why the issue occurred and how such issues can be avoided in the future, so I refute that our responses are defensive, sarcastic or rude in any way.

It is not very often that we get negative feedback like yours and it is very dis heartening, especially when the guest waits until they get home to complain on this site and by that stage, it's very difficult to rectify, which is a pity.

Regards
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Spent the weekend of 7th-9th Feb in Mount Errigal as a birthday treat for our 6 year old son. Carolynne was extremely accommodating during the booking process and gave us a super deal. When we arrived at our room there was a plate of cupcakes wishing our son a happy birthday which was a really nice touch. Ate in the hotel bar both nights where service and quality was exceptional. This was our fourth stay in the Mount Errigal and each time they surpass themselves for customer service and value for money. Great to see all the renovations complete in the spa and pool and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking time out to review your most recent stay. It was my pleasure to look after you Sarah, we love to know in advance if it's someone's birthday, especially kids! I'm sure your little man's face was a picture when he seen the cupcakes we left for him!

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Warmest Regards
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This hotel offers all a business traveller could want
Big room with large flat screen TV
A very large bar serving fantastic food... The Guiness was fab also
A well appointed Gym and swimming pool. I used the Gym on the evening and was allowed to join the spinning class at 0630 hours the next morning
I followed it with a filling non-healthy breakfast
Great value for money
The only downside was the shower had a curtain and due to its design kept sticking to my bum and all I could think was how many bums had it attached to

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ErrigalSales, Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for your very positive review, we sincerely appreciate it. Thank you also for highlighting the friendliness of our shower curtains, we will of course take this on board and look into a way of rectifying it - so thanks for highlighting it.

Please, come again soon, we will be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just back from a 2 night stay with my hubby & baby. Cannot fault the hotel, facilities & staff excellent! We ate in the bar both nights & were met with fantastic, very welcoming staff on both nights. Reception staff extremely pleasant & helpful. We made use of spa/pool & were impressed. Water a little cool but good facilities. We also treated ourselves to treatments at the beauty salon, wow def enjoyed & relaxed! A perfect couple of relaxing nights had. Room great size. Also impressed with surrounding area. At no fault of the hotel there were road works outside tat started v late &went into the early hours, hotel offered to move us room & were very accommodating & apologetic. Thanks to all

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear that the road works affected your stay, thankfully, they only took place for two days, so again, I apologise that this crossed over your stay dates.

I assume from your review you will be back again soon, we will of course be delighted to welcome you, your hubby & baby with the warmest of welcomes.

Carolynne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterkenny
Clanree Hotel
Station House Hotel Letterkenny
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Mount Errigal Hotel? Share your experiences!