“Faulty towers wouldn't be in it”

Mount Errigal Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Horrific pool -cold and dirty, jacuzzi freezing and had to throw handfuls of water at a sensor to make it work as advised by member of staff!! Room dirty musty and noisy - no sleep till 4am. Food stuck in mediocre 80s. Staff not keen to respond to concerns appropriately. A rare night away from kids had us racing home to the madness of family life which was more relaxing than this place. Manager carolynne responded defensively to concerns - cannot accept the genuine experiences of costumes. Don't waste your time or money here!!!! Still plagued by promotional emails despite requests several times to remove me from mailing list!!!!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank CoAntrimMum K
ErrigalSales, Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

I'm sorry to read, that following your stay a year ago, you are still very unhappy. You stayed in our hotel, you checked out and didn't raise any concerns directly with us, it was only weeks following your stay that you emailed requesting compensation, however, I had no way of tracing back the issues, because you never complained during your stay at all.
We always encourage guests to raise concerns directly with us, giving us the chance to make things right immediately - which is why we ask each & every guest if everything was ok for them.

I offered you a small gesture to return, to compensate your disappointment. I presume my offer just wasn't what you expected, so I apologise for that.

My response was not defensive, it was investigative, we are committed to customer service, and without guest feedback, it would be impossible to improve.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I recently stayed here for the ulster Irish dancing championships in November 2013 I booked a family room that had 4 lights over the beds only 1 worked there was a rather large chip of wood split in the headboard of the bed, my main concern was the tile that was hanging off the side of the bath I had to tell the boys not to hit their legs off it while stepping out, when I mentioned this to the staff on the desk they were very nice and took note of these things. like all places from time to time they need a bit of tlc. the hotels a great venue the function rooms are great i'd like to visit again where its not a huge event and see it in a different light :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
ErrigalSales, Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay. I'm very sorry to read you were disappointed and I'd like to thank you for highlighting your concerns with our team before departure, in doing so, we had the opportunity to rectify the issues you raised immediately.

You are correct in saying that hotels require regular investment to maintain décor & fixtures. We are a very busy hotel, and we to are regularly investing in our product. In the latter part of 2013, we spent a significant amount of money upgrading our bedrooms and public areas.

Ulster Dancing is a very busy event and we are always delighted to host it, however, should you wish to have a more relaxing break that affords you to explore our beautiful county, then please do come again.
I'm confident that when you return, you will be extremely impressed with the improvements we have made.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

A beautiful bar was the highlight of our visit. Had a coffee and tea in the bar - coffee was fine but they served the tea by filling a cup with water and throwing a teabag in it! You would expect a lot more from a hotel. Very very poor.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pamela2002

Thank you for taking time out to give us some feedback. I'm very sorry to read about your experience. I apologise profusely, we serve tea in a teapot, and you are correct in saying that the service you received was below par. I can only assume that perhaps your server was one of our newer members and we accept, more training is needed.
Please do join us again soon, I'm sure you will enjoy the typically high standards of customer service we are known for.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

My wife and I spent a very pleasant two days in this hotel as a birthday treat for my wife , we had a large comfortable room and had two excellent meals in their restaurant where the staff could not be more friendly or helpful. The hotel also surprised us with a birthday treat of fresh chocolate coated strawberries delivered to our room as a gift to my wife shortly after our arrival.
Plenty to see and do in and around Letterkenny.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade on booking so your are sure what to expect.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ErrigalSales, Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Thank you for taking time out to review your stay with us. I'm delighted that your Birthday Break was enjoyable & that you appreciated our little touch with the strawberries, we try our best to look after our guests and make them feel special.

Hopefully you won't wait until your next Birthday to visit again.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We booked the Santa package at this hotel. The five minute visit from Santa was undoubtedly the best part of our 18 hour stay. The room was freezing, the food mediocre and we were treated to total apathy from staff. Even now, nearly 48 hours after putting my concerns in writing to the hotel, I still await a reply. Definitely wont be back.

• Stayed: December 2013

I'm very disappointed to read your review. Firstly, I would like to apologise for the issues you raised. I have no record of your complaint, nor did I receive any correspondence from you following your stay. I sincerely wish you had highlighted your unhappiness during your stay or before departure, at least then, we could have dealt with it immediately so that your entire stay was enjoyable.
It's not often we get negative feedback, but when we do, we respond immediately and take the appropriate action so that it does not occur again.

I hope you can accept my apology, I can assure you your next stay will be comfortable & enjoyable.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We brought our grandson away for a Christmas treat to meet Santa at the Mount Errigal hotel Letterkenny,the trip unlike the weather was not a disappointment, the staff at this very homely hotel were pleasant,friendly and very helpful, the room was large with two double beds with all the expected accessories ,it was warm and cozy,that evening Santa called to our room to see our grandson Anton and he spent a good while with him , we all had a very lovely breakfast the next morning and again the staff were superb .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your Christmas stay with us! We are delighted you too enjoyed our Santa package, it was a great success, with many families already booked for 2014!

Perhaps you will join us earlier than the end of the year, we have some fantastic all inclusive family offers.

A TripAdvisor Member
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed for the santa visit and where very disappointed the only good thing about this hotel was the reception staff nothing for the kids in the room the kettle was stuck down at edge of unit my son reached up and grabbed it could have e scalded himself when we went into restaurant for food waited 35 min no one came near us had go up and customer service was terrible was goung to leave that night but long drive back and was to tired no child friendly family room and nothing for them in hotel

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

I'm very dis-heartened to read your review and I apologise you did not enjoy your stay as much as all the other families. With regards to facilities in the hotel, I don't understand why you were disappointed. We had a fantastic 'Visit from Santa' package which has had rave reviews, we offer a free in house cinema for all the children, we opened santa's office from 6pm daily where children could go in, write their letter to Santa, post them and enjoy hot chocolate & cookies. We also have a new kids pool, and every morning throughout November & December, we had kids aqua fun in the pool.

I apologise about the location of the Kettle, however, had you rang reception, we would have provided an additional kettle that could be in use out of reach of your toddler.

Our Santa package has had absolutely no complaints and we looked after more than 2000 families between November & December. I suppose we can't please everyone, so I hope you can accept my apology on this occasion. I sincerely wish you had raised your concerns directly with us, giving us a chance to make things better in real time.