“Halloween Midterm Family Break”
Review of Clanree Hotel

Clanree Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Letterkenny
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is my first ever negative review. This hotel has so much potential. It has a fine leisure centre. Pool, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and kid's pool are all very good. Judging by other reviews here we must have been very unlucky with the staff there for our stay as we did not find them in any way friendly or helpful. Although it was mid-term Halloween break it was very quiet in the hotel. There is no kids club. We knew this before we travelled but did not mind as our kids are older and almost past that anyway. We had a 4 course meal for the adults included in our package and booked into the restaurant for 7.30pm on the day of our arrival. The restaurant never opened that night though even though we had told staff we were waiting for it to open as were were down a little early for our meal. A barman said he would check it out and come back to us as it did not look like opening. He did not come back to us. We went to reception and they advised us to use the bar as the restaurant was not opening as it was too quiet. We were told to explain to the bar staff we had a voucher for the adults meals. I went to the bar and picked up some menus while waiting for bar staff member to come over. She told me to take a seat and she would be down in a minute. 20 minutes later she arrived down and we ordered immediately as we were starving. Our starters and kids mains came out together as requested but our starters (garlic mushrooms) were cold, not luke warm. When the bar man collecting our plates asked how the starters were I told him they were nice but cold. I have never done this before and now am not sure if there was any point telling him anyway as that was the last we heard about it! The delay between the courses was extreme. We did not mind as we had no other plans for the night but ended up not even ordering tea/coffee as it was after 10pm and were all tired from long day and could not wait another half hour for them! The bar and restaurant were not busy so there was no excuse for the long delays as far as I could see. We asked for the bill and luckily I held on to it. When we went to check out the receptionist tried to charge us more than on the bill. She was unwilling to go through the bar receipt I had clearly outlining the steak supplements, kids meals, extra dessert and wine. First she said we had not been charged steak supplements, then said we had not been charged for the bottle of wine and in the end had the cheek to say to me after going off to copy my bar receipt that they were going to just charge me the amount on the bill as if I was after doing them out of money! She offered that I could see the manager and for the first time in my life I met a hotel manager. I can see now why the staff have such a lack of interest in their customers as it comes from the top down. It was a waste of 5 minutes I'll never get back as the manager did nothing only nod when I explained all the above and said she would talk to the bar staff! Lovely hotel, good facilities, but poor front of house staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JohnB71_12
Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Clanree as a family of four in two rooms. We got a great deal online and stayed bed and breakfast. Didn't use the restaurant for dinner because the hotel is so close to Letterkenny and plenty of places to eat. The big plus for the Clanree is the leisure club. We used the swimming pool and were delighted to have the pool to ourselves for an hour. It is well equipped with a large pool, sauna, steam room, whirl pool and a gym. Great staff, very helpful and a nice breakfast to start the day. All in all The Clanree is a great value base for exploring with a few extra comforts.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I was in Donegal just last week for 5 nights and it was brilliant. It was our second time this year going back to the Clanree and we can't wait to go back next year. The staff are always friendly and polite, the service is great in the bar and restaurant and the food is divine. The leisure area is good as well. The only thing I will say is I wasn't happy with was the television as the Irish channels went off we were left with five terrible channels and also being so close to the road we cars up and down all night and the rooms could do with redecorating. Even though I wasn't happy with those things there is nothing that would stop me going back to Donegal and to the Clanree

• Stayed: October 2012
Clanree, Guest Relations Manager at Clanree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thanks a million for taking time out from your day to write your review and of course, offer some constructive feedback. You will be happy to know that we have already started refurbishment on our bedrooms. I'm delighted you enjoyed the service provided by our team here. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is the first large hotel you see as you enter the outskirts of Letterkenny just as you turn at the Poles Monument. Check in was fast and friendly . Large executive rooms were very comfortable and sevice next morning for breakfast very good too. A short walk going towards the town I found a very good Indian restaurant if you like curry. I had made an enquiry on arrival about this and it turned out to be very good too.

Overall a nice comfortable hotel with a friendly staff

Room Tip: Again a busy road outside the hotel so choose a back room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for just one night and enjoyed the leisure facilities and location close to donegal town.
Not so impressed however with the bedroom. We were told that we were getting a room away from the function room, however when the music started up that night we felt like we sitting at the bar it was so loud. when we picked up the phone to enquire what time it would be over at, we found that not only was it not working, but that the bare wire had just been shoved into the wall socket. the lamps also had no base and were rocking about on the wire that was sticking out of the bottom of them. the beds themselves were hugely uncomfortable and im not a big fan of having blankets instead of duvets.
Breakfast the next morning would have been great, bar one of us finding a piece of plastic in the porridge.
Overall service and amenities were grand. but it was one of the worst nights sleep I've had in a hotel and I'll not be back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank sooduncan
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed at the hotel last year but thought that it needed money spent on it. I was back in Letterkenny last week for business and had gotten an e-mail to say that the hotel had been refurbished I decided to check it out. I booked a refurbished executive room and was pleasantly surprised, duvets on the bed not blankets as you get in dated hotels, wi-fi also, flat screen TV the room was freshly decorated. Will definitely stay there next time in Letterkenny.

Room Tip: Plenty of safe parking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Had a wonderful weekend here. Booked the bridal suite as it was available. To die for!!! Four poster bed & jacuzzi bath with tv. Heaven. Staff were very pleasant & helpful. We will return!!! Highly recommended. Outside of town abit but taxi not that expensive.

• Stayed: September 2012