“2 night stay with my Mum”
Review of Clanree Hotel

Clanree Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my Mum treated ourselves to a 2 night stay here from the 25 - 27th April after purchasing it through Groupon, and can honestly say that we had a lovely time.
After reading some of the past reviews we really didnt know what to expect but I really dont see how anyone can complain about it, yes the rooms are in parts dated but when you are only paying £57 for 2 people for 2 nights u can hardly complain!
Check in was completed swiftly and the receptionist was very pleasant and made sure we knew where everything was.
We had booked a twin smoking room which we were given. There was a bit of road noise but not much. Room was spacious with a double and a single bed. Bathroom was massive and everywhere was spotlessly clean. Tea and coffee were well stocked in the room and inside kettle very clean also! Tv was of a good size which had all the normal channels as well as a few sky channels.
We decided after a long journey there to opt for the early bird menu that night which cost €20 each. There was a good selection on this menu and the barman was able to help us decide. We enjoyed all 3 courses. The only thing i would say was we had quite a wait between our main and dessert as there didnt seem to be many staff on. I will also say that that they have a huge outdoor area outside for smokers which is covered with heat lamps and tables and chairs, something we dont see too much up north.
Had a great nights sleep beds were very comfy.
We had paid for breakfast when we checked in and it was lovely. Staff very pleasant and tables were cleared quickly.
Letterkenny is about 5 mins drive away
which we knew as my husband and myself stay in letterkenny about 4 times a year and taxi's can be contacted from the freephone in the reception of the hotel.
Ate in Pats on the Square on our 2nd night which was delicious.
Used the leisure facilities on our 2nd night which were really good.
All in all we had a lovely 2 days and hope to return to the Clanree in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Sam28Nireland
Clanree, Guest Relations Manager at Clanree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

On Behalf of the Team at The Clanree Hotel , I would like to thank you for your positive review of your stay with us, we are delighted to hear that you & your Mum had a nice time & we look forwrad to welcoming you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Second stay @ this Hotel. Value was brilliant, 99 euro for dinner bnb
on their own website. Check in was fine. The room was average but I
knew this from previous visit, small double bed with very old fashioned
furnishings which seem to be prevelant in many Donegal Hotels.
However the bathroom was very good with nice dove liquid soap, etc.
The Bar area is spacious and has a good atmosphere, Staff were helpful
and there was a singer, though I don't like country music.
The restaurant was a let down, they brought me the wrong meal, and
by the time the right one was produced my wife had finished her food.
The food when it came was fine.
After I made a complaint we were compensated with a free drink each.
Didn't try the leisure suite, though it looks good.
Breakfast was not good, Staff serving the porridge looked like they
had suffered a bereavement. There was a long wait for toast, which meant
your hot food had went cold. There was no fresh fruit.
This place has massive potential but the rooms need modernising.
All in all I would return because of the brilliant value and the location near
some of the worlds nicest scenery.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank golftheology
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed at the Clanree Hotel 16 to 20th April 2012 travelling with Glenton Tours and it was good.As part of a tour our food was organised i.e set menu with little choice but we could have requested special diets when booking the tour. The main course was buffet but served by the chef and you could have portions to suit, I would have liked a salad bar and more varied veg.Breakfasts very good Husband loved the drycure thick bacon. We had a room at the back of the hotel away from the noisy road which was comfortable. Loved the swimming pool. Our only problem with this Hotel was the busy busy main road, nose to tail traffic flying down, a bit like the M1 in rush hour. There is no bus service into Letterkenny or anywhere and although there was a footpath by the road it was unpleasant walking along it. Most of the cars at about 8.30am seemed to be occupied by young women alone so no car share here so not very green. We tried to go for an early morning walk on the roads behind the Hotel only to find they were a rat run into Letterkenny

Room Tip: If your easily disturbed ask for a quiet roomat the back
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I am only back from my 2 nite stay at this hotel which i really enjoyed. I am heavily pregnant with my 2nd child and had taken my 2 year old daughter with us. On arrival my daughter said how beautiful the hotel was to the amusement of the receptionist. Our check-in was quick and easy and the room was very spacious. The room was clean and comfy. Bathroom was massive and my hubby and daughter made full use of the swimming pool and loved it. I would definately come back with my next child aswell because it was very family friendly and the food in the bar was lovely and reasonably priced.
We also opted for room only and went across the road (which is very busy) to the local mace oposite the hotel which had a cafe, it was very well priced and suited us better with having a small child and me being pregnant i sometimes cant eat much first thing. All in all had a brilliant stay and would recommend the hotel for families and relaxing breaks.

Room Tip: If u like quiet get a room at back of hotel away from main rood at front of hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BelfastKeano

Thanks a million for reviewing your recent Family Break with us, we are very happy that you and your family had a great time. Hope to see you & all the Family again in the near future.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Hi
I have just checked out of this hotel, I to had a Groupon Voucher, i found it very clean, and the receptionist very efficient and friendly. I would definitely go back to it. It is very quiet although it is on the outskirts of the town. our only problem was it didnt last long enough.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank KateAntrim

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at the Clanree Hotel, we are delighted you had a good time & intend on returning. We look forwrad to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have written many reviews and always given an honest opinion. I haven't always listened to Trip Advisor Reviews but I advise you to listen to this one.

My Partner and I and I booked a short break away to this hotel for Tuesday-Wednesday with a Groupon Voucher. We opted for the Room Only option which suited us as I myself have severe dietary requirements when it comes to eating specific foods. On arrival we were greeted by a pleasant women who stated that we needed the Groupon voucher to proceed with our booking, I however on the phone had already stated weeks previous the identification number and security code on the voucher so we didn't have this to hand, possibly our fault I understand but the woman at reception made us stand for 15 minutes trying to gain access to this email via our mobile phone, not only that but she only then told us the hotel had WiFi after us spending God Knows how much on 3G roaming to get the email, once we had found the email she requested we forward it to her. We were then granted our room which was basic but cozy. Despite the price it was nice and had everything you needed, I must say the bathroom was of a magnificent size also compared to lots of other hotels. We booked our dinner in the restaurant downstairs which was sublime for the price 58 Euros for Two Starters, Main Courses and Desserts and two beers. Both Mains were Steaks cooked Rare ( Could've possibly have been a little less cooked) It was only on the second day that things turned majorly bad. At approximately 3pm after we had had a leisurely stroll and time in the leisure center a catastrophic banging started above out bedroom, this continued for a number of hours. We endured it for nearly 2 and a half hours before i contacted Reception, maybe I should've contacted them sooner but I was unaware that this was common practice of a managerial stance to have someone allocated so close to somewhere that maintenance was taking place. Once I contacted Reception they informed me that they didn't know this maintenance was taking place (I'm sorry but after hearing my videos you will be surprised that no1 else was unaware of such an ordeal) They informed me that this was a spontaneous job and wouldn't last longer than normal business hours but if i wanted to i could move rooms. Having been settled from the day previous and hoping that it was only going to last another couple of hours i told the girl politely on the phone that it would be ok and that we would stay in out room but as long as it was to to cease within the next half an hour. It did cease within the next hour and we continued to enjoy the rest of our evening, untill 7:30am the following morning when the whole thing continued. BANG BANG BANG, with a hammer all around the room and what sounded like a powerhose! Followed by the screams of Building Contractor, for anyone who wishes to hear the videos I can text and email them. You have heard nothing like it. Pure ignorance right outside our door! We decided to pack our bags and leave as soon as possible as it was too much and we couldn't sleep through it. My Partner tried to make the girl at reception listen to the noise but she exclaimed that there was no need for her to listen to it, also as we had our dinner placed on the bill she continued to request the full amount of 58 Euros, surely there could've been some type of discount for the abusive language we had to put up with and the noise. I have never been so annoyed in my life regarding hotels and posting reviews, I hope this comes across as an honest one as I have always done in the past. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone as they are unhelpful people and make no effort to assist their customers despite claims upon departure that they "Did" Not even worth a Group-on. Will not be back and highly recommend anyone who reads this to do the same. Wait for a decent break away.

Room Tip: Not facing road.
8  Thank BelfastReviewer87

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Thank you for contacting us directly at the Hotel with the disturbance you encountered during your stay & should you wish to discuss the isssues further, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you once again for your feedback as it is comments such as yours that help us continually improve our standards.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

The Clanree is a really family friendly hotel, we stayed last week for 2 nights - they were really busy because schools were off.
There was no problem having children running around - it added to the relaxed atmosphere - I would say that indeed the feel of the hotel is one of relaxation.
Food was excellent both in the bar and restaurant - try the early bird menu at 20.00 euro, you will not manage the desert. Breakfast was also great.
We had an executive room at slightly extra price, no issues with noise or comfort.
Staff are excellent - completely friendly in a natural, special way that Donegal people have.

Only two minuses which reduce the hotel score to average - one is the poor wifi connection, the other is the need to hoover under the fixed furniture where dust is clearly visible - both problems easily fixable by management.

2  Thank Peteram