“HIDDEN TREASURE”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Letterkenny
Rockhill Holiday Park
Kerry
“HIDDEN TREASURE”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I am not sure why some of the last reviews are no glowing about this fantastic place in Donegal.

We have 4 kids 13,11,9,4. all I can say is that they cried when we left Rockhill. We have already booked for next year so in my mind that says it all.

The amount of free activities for all my guys and us adults to do was increadable.

Kayaking, sailing, bungie trampoline, bouncy castles, archery, just to mention a few.

We stayed in a mobile b48, beautiful over looking the bay.

I found all the staff so nice and welcoming,

The price for what we got was brilliant value. We have been to Parks in England and wales and we went to Trabolgan in cork last year and let me assure you we had to pay for everything, but not in Rockhill.

Some painting would be advised on my decking. The cafe was good and the play park was much better than I was expecting.

My guys loved the water walkers.

All I can say is that if you are looking for a great value holiday with enough to keep your kids occupied for a month and the added bonus of very comfertable accommodation then This place is the place to go.

Room Tip: book your activity early as they book up so fast.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank edmond s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and 4 children aged 7,5,3 and 9 months are not long home after 2 very pleasant weeks (commencing Sat 20th July) in Rockhill. Lovely mobile with nice separate living room (much bigger and more comfortable than equivalent French types) with outstanding views of Mulroy Bay.

If you like the fun of staying in a mobile, meeting other Irish people and like being active and your kids being active and are not a weather moaner then you WILL have a great time here. Just make sure that your kids all have some wheeled device to get themselves around to the playground etc.

We (very protective usually) felt very comfortable affording our 7 and 5 year old the freedom to travel to and fro the playground together safely. Yes other families allow their 2 year olds to do it but that's their business.

I loved seeing the kids get out so much and being challenged physically. They loved the climbing wall, tennis and cayaking and simply looking for "creatures" under the stones on the bay. The kids clubs offered them cookery classes, painting, etc but are not realistically long enough for parents who want to see the back of their kids for the day. Big word of thanks to Eoin in "Little Rockers" who my wife thought was outstanding with young kids (she knows more about the general standard in this regard than I do)

This is a down to earth FAMILY holiday resort where if you get into the swing of it and relax you'll be sure to have a nice time.

Yes it's not perfect. The most irritating for me was the fact the TV in the mobile was tuned into FREEVIEW LONDON which meant i couldn't watch RTE or BBC NI or UTV at all including Donegal taking part in the Ulster final. This needs addressed as i can't imagine an English person on holidays in London tolerating being told they can only watch Irish stations. It's also disparaging towards Irish culture which should be celebrated here (part of the reason for not going abroad) and not dismissed as unimportant. (docking a star for this unfortunately - Bord Failte should have a word about it too).

The evening activities were desperately missing a PA system as loud and unsupervised children(despite being asked for them to be supervised) simply made too much noise to hear what was going on. We did win at Bingo though and this was the best of the evening activities. Ultimately though by the time the evening came we had enough done and didn't really require what was offered with our age group.

The "Roller Arena" is the subsitute for outdoor activites if it is raining hard. Definitely room for improvement there in terms of organisation of a proper alternative. Cajaking isn't on if very windy but we managed getting out 5 times over two weeks which was plenty and teh instructors were all excellent and made a real effort to make it fun.

The good stuff: beautiful location challenging activities, very pleasant staff and very comfortable mobile.

If you are interested in golfing or the beach Portsalon is only a short drive away. I'd also have loved to cycle from Kerrykeel to Rathmullen as the view are impressive but simply didn't get the chance. Next time perhaps.

Amenities: Lidl is only a short spin and is well stocked with groceries and alcohol. The Nite Star chip shop in the village made lovely chips. Didn't try tthe two pubs but they're there. Catholic and Presbyterian church only a short amble from the site which was nice and the Catholic church had a lovely priest who said mass with a typical relaxed and easy-going Donegal style.

It's a shame the Irish government sponsored so many soulless holiday homes and didn't sponsor this type of tourism. This place is good enough to attract foreigners to a beatuiful part of our country not to mention Irish people.

So go on try Rockhill. Do yourself a favour though and book for two weeks and don't worry about the weather. We loved it and the weather was far from south of Spain (though wore shorts, t-shirts and sandals the whole time). Bring a wetsuit, a decent raincoat and a bike and you're good to go and helping to keep Irish people in jobs whilst building fond Irish holidays for your children.

P.s the more kids you have the better the value & bring cash as no ATM in Kerrykeel (though can get cash back in shop if spend €10)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank niallgRoscommon
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just back from 5 day stay at Rock hill and feeling very disappointed! Park appeared very run down and needs a good tidy up!! Our mobile home was very clean and we were very happy with it. We went with our children and our 7 year old girl loved it, but our 5 year old boy was bored quite a lot of the time. A lot of activities for the girl but not so much for the boy. The toilet facilities in the grounds are horrendous, really filthy, would walk back to mobile rather than use them! Staff friendly enough and good with children. Wouldn't recommend it, and definitely don't think its worth the money they charge!!

Room Tip: Our mobile was E27 and was lovely and in a good position in the park.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went back to Rockhill for a second trip,and although we loved it first time round,we won't be back for a 3rd. It has gone really down hill,the grounds are filthy and dangerous,broken fence boards with nails sticking out,old rubbish lying around. Our mobile home H07 had a broken window hinge so bedroom window did not close properly,nor did the front door. The kitchen sink was blocked and carpets are smelly. We did report these problem and the carpet was hoovered. That was it.
On a brighter note,the entertainment staff worked hard and the archery and lazer tag went down a treat as did the face painting with our younger child.

2 Thank Aisling M
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Went for the One Day Pass.great value,the kids 10 8 and 6 loved it.The highlight being the kayaks. The staff were friendly and its nice to have a place like this close to home.
If the staff could pick up the bits of litter as they walk past it - would make the place look perfect. And the toilet which had bits of it lying on the floor...please fix it.
Having said that,I will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2013

As a family of 6 staying in a cabin we thoroughly enjoyed our selfs and especially enjoyed the kayaking, pottery and Laser. Cabins spotless and staff very helpful. Lots of great thing to do close by .. We would recomend Portsalon beach which is a 5 minute drive. The only negative thing I can think to comment on is the lack of parental supervision. Lot of kids seem up be left to their own devices and supervising them left to staff. At one activity with 2 staff members I counted 66 children and just 8 parents and we were 2 of those!!! I would also recommend some activities for the older teenagers as they seemed to just be hanging about at night up til 1am . But all said and done we are definitely coming back again.

1 Thank Donna Marie Downey
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is my second time staying at rockhill and it is absolutely fantastic! We stayed in the same cabin both the years and it was so so clean and tidy! The site is extremly clean and tidy compared to the litter reviews that I have read, another thing is the activities the site is packed full of fun activities - kayaking,archery,lazer quest,pottery, and many more! There is also a pontoon out in the Mulroy bay which is only a minute swim from the marked square. The staff member are all mainly young people and I was extremly shocked at the friendliness of the young staff compared to other places where the staff would turn their nose up and you and wouldn't care, but no ALL the staff at rockhill are extremly friendly especially Chris the kayak instructor and also Hugh who I took a liking to instantly as he took me and my friend out on the kayaks and actually cared about what we wanted to do. Another point about the site is how close the cabin was to the water which suited me and my friends down to the ground as we forgot our wetsuit shoes which made walking to and from in our bare feet more comfortable. The site is also close to the town which offereded delicious food such as The Village Inn however I would not recommend the Nite Star as the workers cannot follow simple instructions! The shop on site is slightly over priced as a bottle is €1.65 however it is well worth it as the place is absolutely great! Another thing about the cafe is it offeres WIFI for 50c which is brilliant for half an hour! If I could sum the place up in one word I would say "FANTASTIC".

2 Thank TheReviewer1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterkenny
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
Clanree Hotel
Clanree Hotel
#4 of 12 in Letterkenny
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,089 reviews

Been to Rockhill Holiday Park? Share your experiences!