“Authentic Italian, hidden away in Donegal”
Review of La Fantasia - CLOSED

La Fantasia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Went to La Fantasia on saturday night last. Food to die for. Sauces are exquisite, pasta cooked to perfection and side orders yum. Atmosphere nice not too noisy but cosy.
Menu varied to include fish ,chicken and meat.. kangaroo, ostrich as well as pizza and pasta, something for everyone. One quibble, the waiting staff are inexperienced and did not point out specials and were slow to offer wine menu and to serve drinks . All the same will be going back.... soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

Heard of this place through word of mouth, would never have come across it otherwise, set, as it is in an ugly industrial estate, that at the time of our visiting (7pm on a Saturday evening) looked bleak and uninviting. (It is just beside the NCT Centre, follow signs from the Dry Arch Roundabout). Why they located the restaurant here is beyone me, but that is beside the point.... Whatever you do, don't turn around and leave, I guarantee you will love this place if you love real Italian food. Once inside, you can forget completely about the industrial wasteland outside, you really do imagine that you are in a family trattoria / pizzeria in Italy, it really has such an authentic feel about it. We brought two kids, who complained that they weren't hungry, yet they finished every bite. Suffice to say the adults food was superb - other people on here have described the food far better than I can. It is a real gem, we will be back.

Reviewed August 12, 2010

Have eaten here twice once with Friends and then once with my husband and 2 young children. The food is delicous and my younger son enjoyed his pizza so much he said it was the best meal he had ever eaten and it was the best thing about his summer holidays so far so there is a compliment! It is child friendly and it a good place for a relaxing meal. The tiramsu (spelt Wrong) was the best I have ever tasted.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

I dont enjoy eating out much anymore, having two young kids (almost 2 and almost 4). I always find it very hard to find something good on the menu for them to eat that they will actually sit and enjoy as opposed to nibble at for two minutes then push away and spend rest of meal crying from boredom. However on sunday night i after hearing and reading the reviews of this resturant i decided i would brave it with the promise to my oldest of a pizza.

Well i have never had such an enjoyable meal out with my kids, they got a 9inch pizza each which they both almost finished with out any forcing, simply because it wasnt like eating dinner to them it was just too delicious to leave behind, (i had a little try myself). But to top it off my eldest was made to feel like the most important person in the resturant, by the waitress, when he was taken to see the pizza being made right there in front of him, and then later when he got to meet and thank the nice man that made it for him.

As for the adult dinners, well as i said we only went out for a bite of dinner, nothing fancy so both me and my husband stuck to what we assumed was one of the more basic dishes, the traditional lasagne. Well basic it was not! such a beautiful lasagne i have never tasted. It simply melts away in your mouth. A little touch of heaven. And all i could think is if this is what the lasagne tastes like what do the more specialised dishes not taste like, my mouth waters at the sheer thought of it. The chef is a genius, an artist in his field!!!!

The only regret i have is that i didn't get the name of the waitress that served us to mention her personally because i have not encountered such a lovely pleasant young lady in a long time. She made my children feel wanted and special, talking to them at each pass of the table. Not to mention the great service in general. But i am just a bit blown away that i finally found a place where my children are not a burden when eating out.

I will be back!!!

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Having heard about the restaurant from a friend I decided that I had to give it a go, and I was not dissappointed. The overall atmosphere of the restaurant was amazing from the moment you step inside the door. The choice of food on the menu was amazing and had a great variety. There is also daily specials available. There selection of wines was also quite impressive. The desserts which are all homemade were just devine. The tiramisu is the best i have ever had!!!
The staff were very friendly and helpful throught out the night. The chef was also a lovely man who came to our table after our meal for a chat.
The overall experience was very pleasant and didn't break the bank.
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and i will definitely be back again.

Many thanks to chef David and all his staff.