“Little Italy in Letterkenny”
Review of La Fantasia - CLOSED

La Fantasia
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Location
This quaint restaurant rests on the outskirts of Letterkenny Town just off the Dry Arch roundabout, a nice quite area away from the hustle and noise of the town.

The Restaurant\ ambiance
The atmosphere of this restaurant is magical; it has got the real authentic feel of Italy! From the black and white Italian pictures on the wall to the empty “Chianti” wine bottles that hung over the counter and sat smothered in wax from a burning candle on each table, to the Italian music, a 50” plasma which ran a slide show of Italian landscapes, and the wonderful aromas escaping from the kitchen, we felt like we were on a romantic holiday in a snug somewhere in the heart of Italy!

The Tuesday night we arrived I was surprised to see many of the tables were occupied. We were instantly shown to our seats, handed a menu and the special’s menu was show to us. All of this was done with a friendly smile. After ordering, the service continued to be attentive with the waiters/waitresses there on hand if needed and not intrusive in any way. They made sure that we had everything we needed to enjoy our meal.
In short the staff were friendly, attentive and very professional.

The menu was extensive and very well presented. We had “Focaccia” (an Italian bread with black pepper and olive oil) to start. The bread was thin, even thinner than a pizza and cut likewise into slices. It was delicious. For our mains we had a Monkfish on Mash potato with a chief special sauce and a Spiced Chicken in tomato and basil sauce.

The Monkfish had the most delicious sauce I have ever tasted and the Spiced Chicken was juicy (not too dry) and had a nice kick (which my partner likes) cooled by the tomato and basil sauce. The vegetables (cauliflower and broccoli) that accompanied our food had an excellent texture (not overcooked or too crunchy). The Monkfish had just the right amount of moistness (I don’t like it too “wet”) and was very tasty indeed.

There are no salt or pepper shakers on the table, which I had never seen before. I asked for some black pepper (out of habit, even though the food did not need it) and parmesan cheese and these were promptly brought to our table by the staff and while the cheese was left the pepper was not.

Drink
When asked if we would like a drink while we wait we instinctively asked for a “Heineken” but were told that the only beer’s served were Italian, which we ordered (when in Rome…). I had never had an Italian beer before and found it to be very enjoyable. I wish I could remember the name of it. The Wines are reasonably priced and not being wine experts we picked an Italian red at random. The wine was delicious and served at room temperature. Like the beer I will make a point (at my next visit) to take note of the name.

Chef
To our surprise the chef (a true Italian) came out from his kitchen afterward’s to ask about the food and was very friendly. You can tell by the taste in his food that he cooks with passion and he likes to know what your thoughts are on it. He is quite the character and very easy to talk to. Everything this man made was cooked to perfection, but the flavors (which are fantastic) cannot be truly explained in words. You must try this for yourself. There is only one chef in this restraint and he cook’s it all himself. A job well done too…

Overall
My husband and I could never decide on a restaurant to stick to, but now we have found this restaurant we look forward to going out for dinner as we know that we are always in for a real treat when we visit La Fantasia. The food here is definitely what you call fine dining. The service and atmosphere of the place was extremely high. For us “La Fantasia” truly is Letterkenny’s “Little Italy”.

Price range is good, starter = 4-8 euro, main = 12 – 25 euro, beer = “less than a Heineken”, Wine = avg 20/bottle.
We would recommend “La Fantasia” for all our friends and family and we will definitely be back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 27, 2010

I was one of a group of 6 people who booked into La Fantasia on Saturday night past. I had heard good reviews of the restaurant and wanted to try it.
The waiter was friendly, showing us to our table and explaining the menu and offers that were on. We placed our starter and main course orders and sat back and enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere.
All six starters were tasty and well presented and we were all happily looking forward to our main courses. Service was of a good standard and all requests were catered for. For five of us our mains were beautiful, I had chicken pasta with creamy sauce which had great flavour, the sea food plate was abundant with a great selection of fish, I also sampled the risotto which also tasted great and would love to try sometime, the swordfish was too salty and just didn’t appeal to my taste. However as we all tasted each other’s dishes and we all agreed that the stacks of sirloin steak were not good. The steak was off totally unsatisfactory quality and did no justice to 'sirloin'.
As the dish was unsatisfactory we asked the waiter to explain out concerns regarding the steak to the Chef. Within minutes the Chef arrived out in the middle of the restaurant with a large lump of meat and said it was of good quality and then took a picture of us!! And promptly went back to the kitchen.
We asked the Chef if he would sit down in private and discuss reasonably our concerns and yet again he just insulted people and ranted and raved. He showed no communication or people skills and just tried to humiliate us for complaining.
At no time did we say we wanted a 'freebee' or that we were unwilling to pay for that particular meal. Contrary, as we had dessert and paid our bill and tip which came to nearly €350, once we had paid, we were asked to leave!!
I feel we were treated extremely badly by an ill-tempered chef not open to criticism. Our evening was ruined and other customers asked us what had happened. What was to be a lovely evening was ruined by the unacceptance of criticisms of one meal by a chef who unlawfully also took our pictures!!!

4  Thank Miss087
Reviewed July 20, 2010

nice relaxed atmosphere, good service, really delicious main courses & yummy panacotta. what more can you ask for! attended family dinner there & tasted everybody dinner at our table! every dish was excellent!

2  Thank GiuseppesMama
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We are just back from a weekend in Letterkenny and luckily my bf had found this lovely tiny restaurant here on Tripadvisor. I'm Italian myself and try to avoid going to Italian restaurants outside of Italy, as I always end up being disappointed. So I was a bit apprehensive when our taxi stopped outside La Fantasia. I couldn't have been more wrong!!! Everything, from the menu to the service, was absolutely superb. It took us ages to decide what to order, as there are so many choices! I loved the pictures of old Italian movies on the walls, helped creating a very nice cosy atmosphere. Starters and mains were delicious but it was the dessert that blew me away: the BEST tiramisu' I've ever tasted after my dad's, and that says a lot! lol
A complimentary shot of your choice at the end of the meal is definitely a nice touch: Davide (the chef/owner) really knows how to look after his guests.
We had a lovely dinner and are looking forward to going back!

2  Thank CrazyKitty81
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Hard to write a review on this restaurant as it could run into pages, as everything is so wonderful in La Fantasia. The food, wine, atmosphere is wonderful.The chef David is a genius and his fiance Kasha is the addedd compliment. The staff are lovely.There is no panic and no rush and when you arrive you are offered a drink during which time you could mull over a wonderful menu. Where do I stop!!!! Just call to La fantasia and experience it for yourself & your family......PS great place for kids....

1  Thank lettercorkman