“overpriced and average food”
Review of La Fantasia - CLOSED

La Fantasia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Reviewed February 9, 2014

me and my partner went here whilst on a weekend away in letterkenny. the restaurant is nice inside but no atmostphere, we had trio of seafood, and steak and potatoes,and a side salad,the trio of seafood was a huge dissapointment. with 3 tiny pieces of fish and a bit of asparagus that i paid €24 for i expected to have prawns and other seafood, as the menu said seafood not just fish. and a bottle of the cheapest wine was 21 euros as for the steak my partner said it was ok but not acceptable for the price we paid. so for 2 mains a side salad, and a bottle of wine, and a beer, came to 80 euros , and wouldnt have minded paying that if the food was good, but it was average wont go here again!!!

3  Thank loulouxx2014

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Came upon this little restaurant this evening while we visited Letterkenny. Had 3 hungry kids and wanted to find somewhere that suited everyone. We decided an Italian should hit the spot for everyone.
We arrived early evening, which was quite quiet given it is Christmas and weren't sure what to expect...tomorrow is also NYE therefore people were probably saving themselves for tomorrows night out!
The menu had a great selection. We had Pizza, Pastas and 2 kids went for basic sausages and nuggets....The pasta was really really delicious and the portion size was perfect. My sons Pizza tasted great too! The tiramisu didn't disappoint for dessert either although its not the BEST I've ever tried but really good. The kids all had ice cream and one of them loved the brownie.
The proprieter David came to us at the end of the meal to check everything was ok and was very pleasant and welcoming. He offered the kids more Ice Cream and a bottle of wine to ourselves as a New Years treat...a really simple but nice touch, especially in todays economy!
We will definitely return for the tasty food and welcoming ambience. Its definitely worth a visit :)
Thanks La Fantasia and happy new year x

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Although the food was lovely, we were disappointed by the portion size of the pasta main course, far too small. Our waitress looked like she would rather be anywhere else, and we were asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu 3 times by 3 different waiters/waitresses. Also, when we asked for a coffee, we weren't given a choice of which coffee we would like.

4  Thank Declan R
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

La fantasia has always been my favourite restaurant and my first time eating here was so disappointed. My fave starter is the crostini al funghi and it was so disappointing....mushrooms were so bland and luke warm melted cheese and bread that tasted almost stale....main course was okay ...I had the garganelli ( I think thats what it was called) with italian sausage and mushroom sauce....I love mushroom flavoured food and sauces but it was sooo overpowering and the portion size was ridiculously giant. The pasta itself was cooked beautifully but overall was so disappointing as I am so accustomed to being astonished by quality of food, service, atmosphere....really a shame! The old restaurant had so much more charm and a real cosy italian feel to it, the new restaurant is nice but has a really cold kind of typical run of the mill restaurant feel to it...nevertheless the downfall of the quality of food is such a shame and I regret to say I wont be back!

6  Thank coopers23
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I had heard loads about this place and was so looking forward to visiting as I heard the food was top notch. I found the food to be ok but nothing to get excited about. I wouldn't say it was the best Italian I have ever had but I suppose its the best in Letterkenny only cause its the only Italian in Letterkenny. I found the tables to be FAR too near to one another, word to the owner when I dine I don't want to hear with my fellow diners are saying or rowing over dinner.

4  Thank Daisy J