“First visit ,great service, food and ambience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Fantasia - CLOSED

La Fantasia
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Burtonport, Ireland
“First visit ,great service, food and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

First visit, off the beaten tract but well worth the effort of visiting. Attentive service , good food and great ambience.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Una A

• Polish first
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Great food - Interesting location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

We chose this restaurant based on previous reviews (secretly hoping for some drama from the chef). The food was excellent and the service was good. We had a great table in the corner.

It is in an odd location, when the taxi pulled into what looked like a deserted industrial estate we wondered what we had booked. The road led into the newer business blocks and the restaurant was in the end unit. As it was evening it was the only unit occupied which leaves plenty of parking and once inside its like any other restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank DZY969
“Excellent food but service has a lot to be desired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

absolutely love the food in this place but as we have been here a few times the service is nearly always slow and your are nearly always gonna have to wait ,my advice is perhaps spend a few more quid and hire at least one professional member of staff to perhaps grab the reins of the floor . This will at least keep the guests a little better informed on what is going on and how long they may have to wait ,the quality of the food is in most cases worth the wait ...we will be back but hopefully the small problems that need to be addressed will be

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lutherlex29
ireland
“Very disappointing, would not recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Decided to eat here on our anniversary as have heard so many people rave about it and it has so many good comments on Tripadvisor. We were so disappointed with the experience, after really looking forward to it. We were sat at a table by the door, despite having booked, where the draft came in every time the door was opened. The menu is massive, which to me signals alarm bells , they can't cook all those dishes well can they? The main menu was accompanied by a specials menu with about 10 starters and 10 mains on it. Then the waitress came down and started rhythming off even more 'specials'- about another 10- I had totally forgotten the majority of them and was confused by the time I ordered.

Asked for a glass of Chardonnay- they didn't have any- only Sav Blanc and the house which she didn't know what grape it was. Went for the house- it was awful- obviously a bottle of very cheap mixed grape plonk served so warm I had to ask for ice.

The starters were quite good, goat's cheese was very bitter but that may have been down to my taste not their fault. Then came the mains, my husband ordered the special of crab meat with pasta, which he was very happy with and it did taste fresh. I ordered the seafood linguine- it was awful. Bland sauce with undercooked shellfish which I believe was either off or on the turn. I actually had to spit a scallop back out into my napkin- mortified! Obviously didn't take another bite after that.

The waitress could see that I had stopped eating and she did everything but come over to see what the problem was- took orders, cleared tables, took down drinks to all the tables around us while I watched my husband polish off his main. Eventually, after maybe 15 minutes, she sent the younger waitress down to clear the table. It was so unprofessional to be honest. I made the complaint, there was a brief apology and they took it off the bill. I was half expecting a chef to come out and rant at me after the reviews here, but no, thankfully he didn't.

We couldn't get out of the place quick enough and will never be back. We eat fresh seafood all the time at home and we could have cooked up something much much better ourselves instead of wasting our night in an over rated restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jpandk
Co. Donegal
“Dazzling heights, disappointing lows”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I have eaten at La Fantasia a number of times and feel that at its best, it can be the best restaurant in the county. It is a place we have chosen to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays.

Our most recent visit, however, was quite disappointing. My husband, who had been to La Fantasia only a few weeks before, decided to order the same starter he had had on that previous visit, described on the menu as 'Italian sausage.' This tasteless item, which I also sampled, turned out to be turkey 'sausage' with no spices. The waiter noticed that my husband had not eaten his starter and asked what was wrong. My husband explained that the dish bore no relation to what he had eaten a few weeks before. A different waitress returned and assured my husband that La Fantasia had 'always' served turkey sausage, and maybe my husband was confusing what he had ordered with a lamb sausage special they had had once, which he certainly was not.

No one wants to argue with wait staff about the contents of a disappointing dish. Is there any point? A good restaurant might have brought out some tiny amuse-bouche to make it up to him or removed the starter from the bill. A great restaurant would have realised that--oh dear--my husband had ordered a main dish which was also going to contain the flavourless turkey 'sausage' and asked him if he would like to order something else. Sadly, none of these things happened and my husband was once again left with a bland main course.

To move on to high points, the seafood is really fresh and delicious. The seafood linguini never disappoints. The vegetable risotto is the best I've ever had. All of the Italian classics are represented and in general are much brighter and less stodgy than what we are accustomed to getting in Ireland. On a good day, one feels one is actually eating in Italy.

The best thing La Fantasia can do now is to train staff and work on service. The waitress who took our order could not pronounce anything on the specials board and did not inspire confidence. And the combative tone one gets from staff when not happy with a menu item is far from helpful. As mentioned above, this is a restaurant that is happy to see a customer leave _unhappy_ with two successive courses. The cooking is often fantastic, but that's not enough to make a fantastic restaurant.

• Visited October 2012