“A lovely meal in pleasant surroundings.”
Review of Pats on the Square

Pats on the Square
Ranked #6 of 112 Restaurants in Letterkenny
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Description: We are in the Market square, right in the centre of town, half way down the main street. We are a 50 seater restaurant, recently renovated. The kitchen and foyer are downstairs and the restaurant is upstairs. We are a bistro style establishment, we serve pizza, pasta, steak, fish, chicken and salads. Our emphasis is on fresh, local and organic where possible. We have been in the same building for 30 years and are family run.
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I stopped here for an evening meal last Friday 14th March 2014. My partner and I were heading from Belfast to spend a few days on the North-West Donegal coast. As a frequent traveller to these parts, I had been to 'Pats' before, but not for many years for one reason or another. Anyway, having checked to confirm that this place was still in business I called and made a reservation explaining that I may need some grace either way dependent on traffic. This was no problem but as it transpired we arrived bang on time. It was busy and people were waiting to be seated. We waited a not at all unreasonable length of time before being seated and were given complimentary breads with tapinade while we looked at the menu. A nice touch and it was very tasty. A jug of iced water was also left for our use should we wish to avail of it. Again I think a nice touch. My choice was a no-brainer. One of the specials, I hope I get this right, was fillet of hake, served on wilted greens with a prawn and potato rosti. My partner opted for mushroom pizza......her "favourite food" Mine was sublime. Beautiful flavours. If I had to be hyper-critical, the fish was slightly overcooked but I'm talking tiny margins. It was absolutely delicious. My mouth waters remembering it. My partners pizza was lovely, but as a connoisseur of such things, she said, again only when pressed for criticism, that she'd have liked 'less cheese and more mushrooms'. Service was fine considering how busy it was. In fact the staff coped admirably. Wine was very reasonably priced. Highly recommend this place and I have no doubt it will not be long til my next visit. Flush in the gents needed fixing. Just fell short of 5* but I will be back.

patspizzaLetterkenny, Owner at Pats on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review, much appreciated. I will get the plumber on to the handle in the gents pronto! Your very slight critique is very important because there is always room for improvement. Again many thanks, Mary.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We had a dinner at Pat's on a Friday night with my boyfriend. We did not book a table in advance and even though they were quite busy we could have a small table. I ordered a John Dory with black seafood risotto and it had so much flavour! It was lovely, however for me was a bit salty. My partner had a seafood risotto that was very nice as well. The restaurant is quite small but I like the way it is, I prefer it comparing to other fancy places. I had a glass of nice rose as well. I'll go back again very soon, this is my favoruite restaurant in Letterkenny!

patspizzaLetterkenny, Owner at Pats on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you so much for your review, I am really glad Pat's is your favourite restaurant, you are a woman of great taste! John Dory is one of my favourite fish, when Albert our fish man has it I can never resist . Sorry it was a little too salty.......next time. Mary

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Pats on the Square is one of my favorite restaurants for both lunch and dinner. It has a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere and the service and staff are excellent.

Thank you so much on all fronts, I will pass on your compliment to the staff ( I think they are great too ! ) Mary

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Went out for a meal and thought .... Let's eat at Pats on the square. It is coming on 20 years since we were last here.
Well, it did not disappoint, wonderful starter, great main course served in a lovely ambiance. Great Italian food at a reasonable price and the lovely donegal specialty beers were just fantastic. Well done all around and we promise it won't be another 2 decades before we come back.

patspizzaLetterkenny, Front Office Manager at Pats on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you so much, I am really glad you enjoyed your visit. We are in business since 1984, 30 years in April, hard to believe! Mary

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Highly recommend this restaurant for a nice relaxing lunch. Clean and bright, very efficient friendly staff. Fantastic food, I had risotto with pan fried cod. Very fresh and tasty.

patspizzaLetterkenny, Owner at Pats on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Much appreciated, thank you for taking the time to put up this lovely review. Mary