“Lovely, friendly and hard working”

The Court Yard Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Leixlip
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We stayed here twice in a three week period. The second time was over the Leixlip festival and although it was extremely busy the staff maintained their polite professionalism throughout.
Nicola is the manager and she sorted us out as the first time we stayed there the noise of a digger woke us early in the morning. We complained and they dealt with it in a friendly and prompt manner and really looked after us for the next stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 13, 2008

I have to say I really really enjoyed my stay at the Courtyard.

Firstly, our meal in the restaurant was superb. Everything about it from the setting, service and food was great.
The wine list was very good value with a bottle of Chateneau du Pape coming in at around €48.

We had goats cheese and fishcake to start, all homemade and then Duck and Tbone steak for mains. We had Pavlova and Icecream for dessert. And it was all delicious. We could tell that everything was homemade from the filo pastry around the goats cheese to the pavlova. We couldn't have faulted our meal if we tried, and we're very picky!!

The restaurant manager did advise us that they had closed the bistro and were just concentrating on the restaurant. I think this has worked well for them as our food and service were superb.

Secondly, There are three bars in the courtyard, as another reviewer stated, all catering for differant tastes. One had DJ,(arthurs) another had live music(the piano bar) and then the mainbar downstairs. Service was fast and friendly, the only little niggle I have is that I found the main bar freezing cold. That was the reason we moved upstairs to the piano bar. Unfortunately we found that the air con was on full blast there, too chilly for our liking.

(-Temperature in the restaurant was perfect,)

Thirdly We stayed in a standard room and had a lovely view of the park. Our room was large, bright and spotlessly clean. The usual facilities all available.
However I have a huge problem with accomodation/reception side of things in that we had arranged a late check out for 1.30.
At ten am housekeeping barged into our room, at 10.40 we got a phone call telling us checkout time was 12.00. We advised we hd organised a late check out and thought all was fine, then at approx 11.40 we got yet another phonecall advising us that our checkout time was 1.30.
I couldn't believe this was happening.
Then the rude receptionist went on to tell me that they usually charge twenty euro an hour for late check outs!!! I replied that now was not the time for that conversation, the time of check in or check-out is more appropiate.

Fourth, I should also mention that owen who checked us in was warm and friendly and very efficient.

So we checked out, the receptionist couldn't be found, but I'm following up with the hotel manager.
My advice to you if you're staying there, is to put up a Do Not Disturb sign on the door and ask reception not to call you.

That said, we will definitely make a return visit, but will state we don't want to be disturbed.

I would highly recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ellejay08
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed here for 1 night with my husband, Staff at the reception was a lovey young girl who was very friendly & helpful, there was a wedding going on & never once were we/other guests curbed by the staff, everyone was greeted & treated excellently. I had booked a nice "suite", when I opened the door, although it was a nice room it wasnt a suite (in my opinion), it was comfortable & had all the facilites one would like, fridge, safe, internet ready, tea/coffee, robes, complimentry fruit basket & wine, nice touch. I just thought the room would be larger, it did have a lovely balcony and a great view of the liffey and green area. The TV channels were very few but sure that doesnt really matter, the bar was great, good atmosphere and the food was delicious. The terrace area is really nice & has a waterfall feature. I would stay here again if I was in Leixlip or close by. I would probably try to book the executive suite as it has a hot tub on the balcony.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dublingirl18
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Stayed in The Courtyard in early August, booked in to find that the offer we understood we had booked (1 night B&B 1D) was in fact just B&B. We had looked at the hotel website and seen the offer, then rang the hotel to book. It turned out that the website offers are not the same as the bookings taken on the phone. Initially the mix up seemed settled but on our return from a walk the manager told us that in fact the offer was not to be honoured as the hotel has nothing to do with the website offers. Confused? We were. Anywhere else we stayed on our tour had their prices and offers on their sites and that was that. The mix up took the shine off the stay and we would have stayed in Dublin city for the same cost. The rooms are very pleasant, the breakfast very tasty and varied and served by very pleasant staff. Most of the rooms are by the river and offer nice views apart from the litter on the lawn, the first impression is that the hotel is situated in a car park and so can be dismaying. Parking is very tight. We were woken by slamming doors in the corridor. Quite how the hotel was voted one of the most romantic hotels frankly makes the mind boggle.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank byblox
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We were very surprised by this little gem. We booked our room the morning of our stay. We were leaving Killarney and needed a place to stay close to Dublin as we were flying out the next afternoon. My husband found the listing in one of the guide books and was intrigued with the Guinness connection. It was a bit hard to find - so ask for directions when you book! We drove around a little bit in town before I got out and asked for help finding it - it's tucked behind the stores on the main street in town. The room was very nice, the grounds beautiful. We ate dinner in the restaurant bar and had a little trouble with the wait staff in that some were not proficient in English and couldn't understand our order. Then they closed the kitchen after we had our appetizers but they did make an exception so we could order somethig else. (It was a Sat night in the bar, and they must stop serving food early, which we thought was odd.)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2008

stayed four nights b&b over the leixip festival on arrival was met by a fustrated manager telling me there was no parking in hotel had to park in a public car park at least ten min walk away bags were brought to room for me by a lovely porter room was nice and very clean complimentary fruit basket and wine every day which was lovely housekeeping staff were wonderfull all the staff were great and very friendly they were very busy but made time for all guests the thing the let the hotel down was the food had dinner one night in the award win resturant called the riverbank which was very dissapointing had chicken ceaser to start which was cold and found bones in it the main course was smaller than the starter we had beef and chicken beef was lovely chicken was ok no potatoes dessert was unediable the service was great breakfast was cold every morning complained it was replaced but no apology room were overpriced with no facilities for guests unless you drink 'not child friendly hotel they must have changed head chef since they won award they need to hire new head chef who can cook or they will lose reputation

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank sandyKildare
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I stayed here for 2 weeks on business. My company booked the hotel.
It's a tough call if you must do business in Leixlip; it seems to be the most modern hotel in the area, so it's hard to compare to others (i.e. apples to oranges). The room itself has plenty of space, and is clean. The lobby is comfortable, and the front desk is friendly and helpful. Eric was working most of the time I was there in the evenings, and was a great help. The manager was usually close at hand to also offer assistance.
Wi-fi was limited to the lobby, but they'll supply you with a short LAN line with good connectivity.

The trouble was the restaurant and bar business tended to take priority over the hotel. Due to bar business, I had great difficulty finding a parking space when I returned from work in the evening. One night, I gave up, parked in the city lot, and had to go down to move my car 2 hours later when my time was up. Another night, at about 9PM, one of the bar patrons badly dented my rental car, before tearing out of the parking lot. They have many signs posted with the warning that you (the guest) park in the lot at your own risk.
The scenic river side location would be very pretty if they took care of it. Sadly, it is riddled with beer cans and Smirnoff bottles.
From Wednesday through the weekend, live music is playing till sometimes past 1:00 AM. I was on the second floor, and it was very loud. In addition to the bar, hallway noise carries a great deal; and when the doors close behind you, they shake the entire floor. I wore earplugs, and was still awakened several times most nights by hall and bar noises.
Also, the phone connections to the States were lousy. Sometimes calls would last 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds; but I was always prematurely disconnected.
My last minor complaint was the lack of a clock and a fridge. Like many business travelers, I would sometimes work until late, and have grown to rely on stocking up on a few food items to save time and money (esp. in Leixlip where the restaurants are very expensive). At least an ice machine would help; I really felt like a nuisance having to ask for ice from the bar every night. I realize this is a personal preference, so I'm not weighting too much of my review on this point. But I think most people expect to have an alarm clock to get them up in the morning.

That's about it. Sadly, I don't know if there are any better choices in the area. If you are doing business in Leixlip, you may consider checking your hotel options in a nearby town like Maynooth for a less frustrating stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Bragi1013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leixlip
Springfield Hotel
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#2 of 5 in Naas

Been to The Court Yard Hotel? Share your experiences!