“Great atmosphere, Michelin quality food and a short bus ride into Dublin”

The Court Yard Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Leixlip
Portadown, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere, Michelin quality food and a short bus ride into Dublin”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I bought a 2 night B&B break with a 4 course evening meal included at the Courtyard Hotel, Leixlip, as a Groupon deal. On our arrival, we were very impressed with the exterior of the hotel. Although hardly noticeable from the main street, the hotel is deceptively large with a massive courtyard, large smoking area and a very large outdoor TV screen. Inside the hotel we were greeted by Shona at reception. She was absolutely lovely and even remembered taking my booking way back in February. She printed out bus timetables and provided us with lots of information to make our stay even more enjoyable. We visited the zoo on the Saturday (well worth a visit), and Shona kindly sorted out change for us for the bus as you must have the correct change ready. She made us feel that she was there to look after us, a very special quality in a receptionist.

Our room was a good size, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. It had a good sized flat screen TV with ample channels, 2 telephones, and iron and ironing board, tea and coffee making facilities, a round table, two luxurious chairs, a very comfortable double bed and a single bed. The lighting in the room suited the décor perfectly and created a very relaxed mood. The bathroom was clean with a good power shower, a glass screen (I hate shower curtains) and a hair dryer. Free Wi-Fi (no password required) was available throughout the hotel. We really couldn’t fault our room at all.

We stayed on a Friday and Saturday and there was live music and a late bar on both nights. The craic was great and I think we went to bed at about 3 am on the first night.

Breakfast was cooked to order and there was a good choice on the menu. We had a full Irish on the first morning and my wife had freshly made pancakes and I had an omelet on the second morning, all cooked to perfection.

We had our evening meal on the second night. The restaurant had a wonderful ambience with mood lighting, candles on the tables and pianist playing beautiful background music. The food was amazing, perfectly cooked and accompanied by fresh steamed vegetables. The waiting service was second to none and the restaurant manager made sure all the diners were attended to promptly and professionally. This was a top class dining experience comparable to a Michelin star restaurant.

The hotel is also a great base for getting into Dublin. Catch the 66, 66a or 66b bus just 50m from the hotel, have your €2.65 in change ready and you’ll be in Dublin in just 25 minutes (wave the bus down otherwise they’ll drive past you without stopping).

We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend break at the Courtyard Hotel and we felt right at home from the beginning. This hotel has the unique ability to cater for everyone’s needs from the sports fan that wants to enjoy a pint and watch the match to party animals that want to dance the night away to couples who want a romantic break with fine dining. There were plenty of staff in the hotel and any that we spoke to were very friendly and willing to help.

If I had one critique it would be the noise in the room from the late night music in the bar. We didn’t hear anything on our first night (as we were in the bar until 3.00am) but we did hear the dull thud of music on the second night. It wasn’t very loud and did not annoy us one single bit as we had anticipated the Courtyard Hotel to be a lively spot, plus we were very tired from the night before, but I thought I should mention it here. If a lively hotel is not for you, then you should maybe book a midweek break or stay in another hotel.

If you read my other reviews you will notice that my wife and I do a lot of Groupon hotel deals and all of them have been great value and very enjoyable experiences. This was undoubtedly the best weekend trip we’ve been on and we will definitely be returning to the Courtyard Hotel again very soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wildtracker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ive stayed hear on buisness twice,first time i wasint impressed carvery was average slightly warm food. Rooms wer ok . Bar was enjoyable good athmosphere. I have returned since I made a point of trying the food on the carvery again as was very dissapointed the last time. It mite seem Im been picky but second time round i was extremly impressed different staff on from my previous visit a girl called laura very helpful and chatty and younger chef from last time Dara. I got speaking to the chef who was very bubbly and happy to talk and ask how my day had been. , so i brought up my previous visit and mentioned it to the chef who cleared up my worrys by telling me it wouldint be the case this time. Had the soup(fennel) which was fresh and chicken cor don blu which wer both really good as carvery food goes . Food is something really impirtant to me in hotels and this really exeeded expectation Foods excellent rooms wer brill i will be back!

• Stayed September 2012
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

My experience of this hotel started off poorly when I had problems booking the dates I wanted using a groupon voucher. After giving receptionist Owen an undeserved piece of my mind I finally got the dates I was looking for. I travelled to the courtyard with my partner and newborn and met Owen upon arrival and he made a great first impression and provided excellent service throughout our two night stay. The hotel looks great and as its set on the original Guinness brewery it has great character and a beautiful courtyard with fountain. The rooms are a good size with LCD tv and no issues with cleanliness. On our first night we had dinner as part of our voucher. We had to choose from the early bird menu and the choice of starters was poor in my opinion. The main course and desert was very tasty and the restaurant staff Sharon and Veronika were exceptional, very friendly and helpful. On the second night we had bar food and the roast beef was the nicest I've tasted. I will definitely stay again in the future and the staff played a big part in this.

• Stayed October 2012
kildare
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is very decieving - from the exterior (Leixlip Village) it actually looks a run down establishment, however on entering the hotel it is fantastic.

Staff are very friendly and a generally good feel about the place. Very busy weekends which can be a bit of a 'put off' but it is a real attraction locally.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Newtownards
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel, (due to a Groupon offer) which was excellent from start to finish. The staff at reception were welcoming, friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious, warm and spotlessly clean ... the only drawback was that we could not access any wi fi from our phones due to the location of our room. We had dinner in the River Bank Restaurant which was delicious ... our compliments must go to the chef and to the restaurant staff for their attentive and efficient service. Breakfast was also excellent, with a superb selection of food to choose from. The surroundings in the hotel are comfortable and well maintained throughout. We would not hesitate to stay here again and are already planning a return trip to The Courtyard Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Nicola C, Manager at The Court Yard Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear KJS40,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed yourselves and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Thank you also for your kind words about your room and for letting us know that you had a slight problem accessing the wi-fi. We have had our IT company check all of the wi-fi within the property. We have also passed on your lovely comments about the food and service to the Restaurant team.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Nicola
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We took advantage of an online offer and spent a couple of nights at the Courtyard in the middle of a trip around Ireland.While finding the entrance to the hotel was a real challenge.Better signage on the Lexlip main street would assist resulting in delay and danger for those unfamiliar with the surroundings.Our GPS was useless. However;once we found the parking lot entrance and rear entrance we commenced an enjoyable stay at a quality hotel situated in a scenic location in the centre of town by the river with excellent service; helpful staff and a very good restaurent. We are glad we made the effort .

Room Tip: If possible get a river view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicola C, Manager at The Court Yard Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear John G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Court Yard Hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and would like to apologise for the difficulty you experienced in finding the property. We are currently working on improving our signage within the town and hope to have our new signage throughout Leixlip village in the very near future.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments about our staff and our food, we are glad you enjoyed yourselves.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Nicola Cunningham
Court Yard Hotel
co londonderry
Reviewed October 10, 2012

front of hotel looks dreadful - actually looks like it is closed down - however on entry it has very cute grounds. Food was very nice and reasonbly price. would recommend. Nice modern feel to it and bar was lively

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Baileysandcream,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are aware of the issues with the front of the building (on the Main Street), We are currently working on improving that part of the hotel and hope to have it improved in the very near future. We are glad you persevered though and found the courtyard area. Thank you also for your very kind comments about our food, it's lovely to get such good feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Nicola Cunningham
Court Yard Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leixlip
Springfield Hotel
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure
Finnstown Castle Hotel

Been to The Court Yard Hotel? Share your experiences!