“Beautiful pub in a beautiful place..food disappointing”
Review of Monks Ballyvaughan

Monks Ballyvaughan
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Ballyvaughan
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At Monks we have a special love for the sea and you can taste it in every delicious mouthful of our authentic, traditional food – lovingly prepared with only the freshest and finest, locally-produced ingredients. And it’s all paired with the picture-postcard prettiness, harbour charm and welcoming country comfort that is the beautiful old fishing port of Ballyvaughan – pearl of the Burren.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I'm pretty local to here, and find the food can be hit or miss. Yes the chowder is probably the best in the region, IF its warm, and if it has the little bits of lemon added, or on the side.the last time I was there the chowder was cold, no lemon in it, main courses were all served with the predictable carrot and parsnip battens, which were also cold and uncooked. Monks does this you see, they have a rush, can't cope, then struggle to recover. They are also very fussy, almost rude about kitchen closing, something their rivals, linnanes are better at. Nonetheless the Guinness is ALWAYS great, thr roaring fire a welcome solace, and the staff are smiley and friendly, plus the location is incredible. I will never tire of going there, but don't go as often as I could, maybe due to the unpredictability.it could be a 5, but 3 for now..

There are newer reviews for Monks Ballyvaughan

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Monks Pub & Seafood Restaurant used to be a highlight of any trip to north Clare. We brought a group there last week and, on my recommendation based on previous trips, several of us ordered the chowder. It was genuinely inedible and full of mustard. Staff, who were friendly and efficient, accepted our feedback sympathetically but didn't reflect the poor standard in the bill - at almost 8 euro a bowl we felt fleeced and hungry leaving. Won't hurry back.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were driving to Doolin from Galway and stumbled upon this lovely pub. We stopped in for a pint and a couple of dozen of oysters. We also had the seafood chowder which was the best we found in Ireland. Lots of salmon in it. The soda bread was excellent. There was a hot fire in the grate and the kind staff looked after us very attentively. Plan to arrive early afternoon to avoid the tour buses. Get there before 3pm or after 5pm to avoid the crowd. Clean bathrooms. We didn't want to leave! It was a great stop to get re-fueled for a drive through the Burren and visit to the Cliffs of Moher.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I went here a week ago for a meal with my family. When we went in the door there was a beautiful turf fire and we were greeted by some lovely and very friendly staff.The food was really good.I had the seafood chowder which was excellent.I have never had a chowder like it before.My wife had the fish and chips and it was really tasty. There was a great buzz in the place.
I would most certainly go back here again

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We actually stayed here in the upstairs bed and breakfast cause we needed a place to crash. No amenities like wifi and the view should have been great but was average. Rooms outdated and sloppily put together. Food was average and the drinks were mainstream. Not a horrible place but I'd look elsewhere first.